Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do people generally become friends with people who have a similar level of physical attractiveness as them? I noticed this from my now former secondary school that people who were equally attractive tended to hang out with each other. I probaby noticed this better with the girls as the more attractive ones were friends with other attractive girls while less attractive girls were friends with other less attractive girls.
    I also noticed this with male students but to a lesser extent, I don't think that the boys cared to much of the physicall attractiveness of other boys who were their friends and instead though were friends with people who had similar interests to them, clothing and hair styles.

Does this mean that girls are more superficial when it comes to picking friends compared to boys? I believe girls chose girls of similar attractiveness as them in order to increase their popularity and get noticed more.

ReputationRep:
    No, I have many friends who are much prettier than me.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to find that people you actively seek to make friends with are those that you find attractive, and I guess you could link that to people putting themselves in leagues and whatnot.

I'm not talking about work colleagues or friends of friends, I mean people you see on a night out or something and actively talk to them. I don't think you'd make that initial step unless you subconsciously sensed something you like about them.

I have many friends who are prettier than me, although they have generally been friends of friends or whatever. I also have friends whom I would consider 'uglier' than me, though very few as i'm quite a modest bloke. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen angel9)
    That doesn't mean you're not in the ugly crew...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TableChair)
    That doesn't mean you're not in the ugly crew...
    Thanks for that :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think they do generally, though it is more apparent with girls.

ReputationRep:
    I have always wondered the same thing, and when you observe groups of people in public they do seem to be of equal attractiveness. Perhaps it is a level of their subconscience telling them that they are equal to these other people and that is how they make first contact and then become friends? I don't have to many friends who are girls, but my friends who are boys are NOT all equally attractive, so it is confusing why this is the case with women and girls, and where does their intellect come into this?

ReputationRep:
    Hm I think this pattern vaguely exists... but I don't think girls consciously pick other girls of the same level of attractiveness. I think it happens subconsciously. You are familiar with people who are your level of attractive etc.. and so bond with them a little more? just a theory

ReputationRep:
    No, most of my friends are 'less goodlooking' than me. Only one of them is on the same 'level' as me. I don't really care about their looks as long as they're good people

ReputationRep:
    Ditto!

ReputationRep:
    You mean, you have many friends you are prettier than? :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think so, but all my friends are pretty so I can't really tell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxanda)
    You mean, you have many friends you are prettier than? :yes:
    :no:

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the girls are saying that most of their friends are much better looking or less attractive compared to them but I found in my school there were always one or two girls different from the rest of the group. I also found that this was specific with white girls. I saw that the black girls generally hanged out with girls regardless of their atrractiveness and the same with asian girls but I found that the 2 most attractive asian girls hanged out with the white girls.

ReputationRep:
    Now that I think about it, all my friends are hot. Must be some subconscious selection.

ReputationRep:
    not really, I know hot girls who are friends with less attractive girls

I do think fat guys are more likely to befriend other fat guys, dunno about fat girls

ReputationRep:
    i like having decent looking friends. and i do.

ReputationRep:
    Generally, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    This is very interesting, really. Maybe it's also to do with priorities and effort.

If people prioritize looks a similar amount, they're bound to try and make themselves good, and put a lot of effort into their clothes, hair and makeup.

Whereas there are groups of people who think alike in the sense that they don't care about appearances, and don't try, and seem less good looking (?)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.