Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm undecided...Apparently PPP's offered at Oxford and PPS/Education Studies are offered at Cambridge. Education Studies interested me due to the philosophy/psychology/sociology slants, find that kind of stuff interesting, but i can't think of a partner subject to go with it... Is the PPP course quite heavy on the science end? How enjoyable/rigorous are those courses? Any opinions (particularly by those who have/are doing the course) are welcome

ReputationRep:
    If you took PPS and went into the Sociology route you'd be able to study the sociology of education which overlaps with Education Studies. Overall PPS has more than enough "philosophy/psychology/sociology" angles.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're applying this year, I think PPP at Oxford is out, as they're doing away with the course as part of the whole physiology/psychology restructuring thing.
    With PPP, most do only two of the P's - I think you have to be clinically insane to do all three, if it's even allowed.

ReputationRep:
    If you took PPS and went into the Sociology route you'd be able to study the sociology of education which overlaps with Education Studies. Overall PPS has more than enough "philosophy/psychology/sociology" angles.
    Unless you're applying this year, I think PPP at Oxford is out, as they're doing away with the course as part of the whole physiology/psychology restructuring thing.
    With PPP, most do only two of the P's - I think you have to be clinically insane to do all three, if it's even allowed.
    Thanks for the responses, I'm now torn between PPS and Ed. Studies.
    Craghyrax, would you suggest PPS over Education Studies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iron_appendages100)
    Craghyrax, would you suggest PPS over Education Studies?
    I'd suggest you read through the course guides for both and decide yourself.
    I do PPS. I can't tell you about Education Studies because I don't take it.

ReputationRep:
    Disclaimer: I'm not at Cambridge yet

The Education tripos is quite interesting as you study the Psychology, Philosophy, History and Sociology of education in your first year alongside something to do with language learning (involving a piece of coursework about how your language developed by looking at your past). If you're struggling for partner subjects and are intersted in Psychology Psychology or natsci with Ed is probably a good choice. As Craggy above says though, only you can decide and if you ask on here you'll only get biased opinions as few people have good knowledge of both options. If you're interested in applying the disciplines to a particular area (education) go for that, if you want a wider view PPS may be better...

ReputationRep:
    The Education tripos is quite interesting as you study the Psychology, Philosophy, History and Sociology of education in your first year alongside something to do with language learning (involving a piece of coursework about how your language developed by looking at your past). If you're struggling for partner subjects and are intersted in Psychology Psychology or natsci with Ed is probably a good choice. As Craggy above says though, only you can decide and if you ask on here you'll only get biased opinions as few people have good knowledge of both options. If you're interested in applying the disciplines to a particular area (education) go for that, if you want a wider view PPS may be better...
    Thanks, that was pretty insightful. i guess im opting for Education Studies. I like the idea of taking a joint honours degree... it gives the course a certain breadth because of the dual disciplines. leala how was ure interview? did u do much to prepare for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iron_appendages100)
    Thanks, that was pretty insightful. i guess im opting for Education Studies. I like the idea of taking a joint honours degree... it gives the course a certain breadth because of the dual disciplines. leala how was ure interview? did u do much to prepare for it?
    That's the first time I've been called insightful

I loved my intrviews, there was a main subject one then the one which is normally ''general'' (about you and your interests) which also asked about my views on some topics in Education-those I had talked about in my SAQ and PS and also others they just came up with. PM me if you want more information and I'll be happy to help (when I'm more awake than I am just now!!). I'm already helping another girl who's applying for entry next year :woo: I'm excited about the interest in the subject.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.