Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    The Spanish and French have been working together for the first time and, last I heard, ETA had been through 3 leaders in as many months. There is also now a non-nationalist mayor in Euskadi showing the drop in support for them that has resulted in their ranks getting smaller. They're now down to about 60-odd active members?

Sorry, no links, all read out the paper press (Guardian).
    Just because they're down to 60 members (i'm not a fan of estimates of membership as they're usually highly inaccurate) doesn't mean they don't pose a threat. You have to remember that the London underground bombings were carried out by a tiny handful of people, it doesn't take much for a cell of 3-4 people to acquire the necessary components to make a bomb and plant it. In Spain substances for making bombs such as ammonium nitrate, acetone, and hydrogen peroxide aren't regulated and it's easy to purchase them in bulk without alerting the authorities.

So even if they are down to just 60 members that's still around 15 cells of people operating across the country making surveillance difficult. Many of the groups operating in Greece that were responsible for shooting of judges, arson/bomb attacks against banks & police cars along with the rpg attack against the American embassy only numbered between 15-20 members max.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    This happens every year come summer time, ETA throw the toys out the pram, bomb a few police stations, couple people die and a few are injured, the media forgets about it come end of August.

It's hardly unexpected given the length of time that the bombings have been occurring for. The chances of you getting caught up in it though are minuscule.
    Its the first bomb in Mallorca though. They tried 2006 but failed. The King is due to come Saturday and they've just found a second bomb..

ReputationRep:
    Just because they're down to 60 members (i'm not a fan of estimates of membership as they're usually highly inaccurate) doesn't mean they don't pose a threat. You have to remember that the London underground bombings were carried out by a tiny handful of people, it doesn't take much for a cell of 3-4 people to acquire the necessary components to make a bomb and plant it. In Spain substances for making bombs such as ammonium nitrate, acetone, and hydrogen peroxide aren't regulated and it's easy to purchase them in bulk without alerting the authorities.

So even if they are down to just 60 members that's still around 15 cells of people operating across the country making surveillance difficult. Many of the groups operating in Greece that were responsible for shooting of judges, arson/bomb attacks against banks & police cars along with the rpg attack against the American embassy only numbered between 15-20 members max.
    :top:

I don't know that much about them. My impression was there needed to be a central leadership that would OK things, and that this had been either shut down or infiltrated. There does seem to have been a lot of minor attacks before this, though, looking at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petticoatlove)
    Its the first bomb in Mallorca though. They tried 2006 but failed. The King is due to come Saturday and they've just found a second bomb..
    And? There's a first time for everything, ETA succeeding in bombing Majorca was bound to happen at some point. They always pick high profile targets that will get their cause media attention, the fact that the King was due to be visiting would have made it an irresistible target for them and no doubt the police would've been alert with it being the tourist season when the attacks tend to pick up. The police are only human and at some point an attack was bound to slip through the net.

ReputationRep:
    :top:

I don't know that much about them. My impression was there needed to be a central leadership that would OK things, and that this had been either shut down or infiltrated. There does seem to have been a lot of minor attacks before this, though, looking at it.
    Traditionally in the past they did operate around cells that reported to a central leadership, a bit similar to the way the IRA used to operate. But with recent raids against the leadership they've probably adopted a more underground autonomous approach similar to that utilised by Greek far left groups and by the London bombers, whereby individual cells only work with close people they know and trust sticking to a core set of ideals that dictate their actions without the reliance upon confirmation from a central leadership. This makes their actions increasingly unpredictable and much harder to track.

ReputationRep:
    Traditionally in the past they did operate around cells that reported to a central leadership, a bit similar to the way the IRA used to operate. But with recent raids against the leadership they've probably adopted a more underground autonomous approach similar to that utilised by Greek far left groups and by the London bombers, whereby individual cells only work with close people they know and trust sticking to a core set of ideals that dictate their actions without the reliance upon confirmation from a central leadership. This makes their actions increasingly unpredictable and much harder to track.
    Aye, I was working around my knowledge of the IRA and the Army Council

The positives from this new approach (negatives for ETA) would be the fact that their arms supplies will be less or none, resorting to homemade devices?, and their operations will have to be pretty small scale? I.e We won't see any Warrenpoints with this type of activity?

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't them that did Madrid, though, or was that your point?
    Well the Spanish court ruled that it was a Muslim terrorist but no direct evidence for a group like Al Qaeda has been found has it so I believe it was ETA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Well the Spanish court ruled that it was a Muslim terrorist but no direct evidence for a group like Al Qaeda has been found has it so I believe it was ETA.
    Ah OK.

Weirdo.

ReputationRep:
    Ah OK.

Weirdo.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I was working around my knowledge of the IRA and the Army Council

The positives from this new approach (negatives for ETA) would be the fact that their arms supplies will be less or none, resorting to homemade devices?, and their operations will have to be pretty small scale? I.e We won't see any Warrenpoints with this type of activity?
    I don't think their arms supply will be too badly impacted, the purchase of materials for making bombs in Spain is ridiculously easy. You can purchase a few tonnes of ammonium nitrate agricultural fertiliser without alerting any suspicion, the Oklahoma City bombing carried out by Timmothy McVeigh utilised an ANFO bomb (Ammonium Nitrate / Fuel Oil mix) and that was particularly devastating despite being home made with store bought components. The London Underground bombings used a TATP mixture (triacetone triperoxide), and again despite being completely home made succeeding in wreaking mass casualties.

I don't think arms supplies really matter any more, so what if they can't get hold of commercial explosives or RDX anymore, they have thousands of shops selling all of the equipment they need all of which can be bought legally without a license. That coupled with poor regulation of firearms means they can still carry out large operations should they choose to do so.

The death knell for the IRA was largely sounded after the Good Friday agreement, whereas Spain has simply tried resorting to mass arrests of known activists. They need to take the fuel away from the group to make the fire smaller before they try to stamp it out or so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    aahhh im going there on holiday soon :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s_h17)
    aahhh im going there on holiday soon :|
    When u going? I'm goin on the 7th supposed to be hope I can still go!

ReputationRep:
    The spain and mallorca bombings have been targetted at a barracks....the chance of you being hurt on a beach resort don't seem hugely threatening...still I am glad I am not going to my fave island this year.
    Also, Mallorca and Ibiza have reported cases of swine flu over the past few days!

ReputationRep:
    This happened a few hundred metres from my house :s

ReputationRep:
    Once again, ID cards have proved completely useless in stopping terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    God not ETA again, first the Madrid bombings and now this...
    That was done by muslim extremists...

ReputationRep:
    I was just there a few weeks back, between the 13th and 20th of July.
    Crazy and sad that those people died.

I hear the authorities were pretty quick to blame ETA on this one. There was a similiar bombing on the mainland too.

ReputationRep:
    ETA killed two policemen in Bibao in June/July, can´t remember.

They´re not going anywhere fast. The search for independance is strong all over Spain, especially in places like Catalunya where I am at the moment. But in the Basque country...well sometimes I wonder if they would be better off being independant. It´s giving in to them, but they´ve been an independant and very different people for their entire existance, why not let them recognise it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMonarchist)
    This happened a few hundred metres from my house :s
    do u live here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petticoatlove)
    do u live here?
    Yes

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.