Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to go away for about a month next summer in July/August. I'm considering lots of places, but New Zealand has always been high on my wish list. However, this would be during the Southern winter, so would the weather be too cold to get enough out of the country?

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you like winter sports. I left in April, and it was getting pretty chilly in the South. Liked it a lot more in summer. Most of the things I did I wouldnt have enjoyed if it was any colder-whitewater rafting, canoeing, hiking, glacier hike in shorts. Remember it's weather is a lot like the UKs. Lots of rain.

My advice would definitely go in NZ summer/spring/early autumn. But with a choice of going in winter or not going at all. Definitely go there, still really beautiful. Loved New Zealand

ReputationRep:
    NZ climate is quite similar to ours just exagerrated. If you goto mountainous areas be prepared for 3ft of snow. Yet they have some of the loveliest beaches i've seen, nice enough to get the trunks out

ReputationRep:
    I was there through May. By then it had started cooling down a bunch, even on the north island (Auckland felt crazy cold after being on the East of Oz and Thailand for a while). South Island was absolutely freezing most of the time, stunning scenery with it though. Would definitely recommend it, but no idea how much colder it gets there in after May.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_Moo129)
    NZ climate is quite similar to ours just exagerrated. If you goto mountainous areas be prepared for 3ft of snow. Yet they have some of the loveliest beaches i've seen, nice enough to get the trunks out
    Even in July/August time?

ReputationRep:
    If you can swim in the Sea in England, you certainly can in NZ, i guess it depends how brave you are. It's very much like the UK, i wouldn't want to swim in the North Sea but the channel seems ok. Same over there, the Pacific may be a little chilly but the Tasman is nice.

It really depends where you go. I found the east coast is no where near as cold as our winters but the west coast had snow

ReputationRep:
    Hello, New Zealander here

As others have already mentioned, there's plenty to keep you occupied in the winter if you rug up with some proper gear and enjoy the outdoors. Snow sports, tramping (hiking), etc are very big in the South Island, particularly Queenstown/Wanaka area. The North Island doesn't really get much snow, particularly not the main cities, you'll find it just rains a lot instead. So there is lots to do if you're into that, my husband is a keen mountain/ice climber so he always tries to book holidays there in the winter time for that.

Swimming in the ocean is NOT recommended in winter as it's damn cold (actually many places are still cold to swim in even in summer). The nicest beaches (in my opinion) are in the north in the Coromandel Peninsula, but Jan/Feb would really be much better swimming-wise. (Though that person's previous comment does shed some light on why we sometimes see British people swimming/sunbathing in all kinds of cold weather, much to the amusement of us locals )

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.