Turn on thread page Beta

Going to another school to do an Advanced Higher ... watch

What are people's experiences of this? I'm going to a "rough" school to do an Advanced Higher this year and I'm a bit nervous about it. :o: But surely if they've signed up to do an Advanced Higher, they're going to actually want to be there and not be disruptive?! My friend went to another school to do Higher Music as it clashed with her other subjects and she said it was her favourite subject of all and the people were amazing. I'm probably being paranoid but I'd just like to hear other people's experiences of this.

ReputationRep:
    You're in 6th year, you're old enough to deal with a rough school for one class. Even if people are disruptive, i'm afraid at this level you kinda just have to get used to it. Try not to have any preconceptions before you go though, you might have an experience like your friends' and enjoy it a lot.

I hope it works out and you do enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    At Advanced Higher, most of the dross is filtered off. Quite a lot of it is self-directed study (if you choose to do so) so it's slightly irrelevant anyway.

Enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    I went to another school to do certain bits of AH chemistry and tbh when I was told I would be going, I was a bit paranoid like you are now.
    It was a bit weird and uncomfortable for the first few minutes I was in the class but soon you realise you're there to learn and all the concerns go away.

Everyone in the class is in the same boat as you, they all chose to study the subject and will all have done pretty well in their Highers.
    The teacher will also understand how weird it can be for you and will be there to make it easy for you at first. I was really lucky that I had a good teacher and the people in the class were sound :p:

I'm still in touch with some of them now after leaving school!

(Original post by ste-ve)
    I went to another school to do certain bits of AH chemistry and tbh when I was told I would be going, I was a bit paranoid like you are now.
    It was a bit weird and uncomfortable for the first few minutes I was in the class but soon you realise you're there to learn and all the concerns go away.

Everyone in the class is in the same boat as you, they all chose to study the subject and will all have done pretty well in their Highers.
    The teacher will also understand how weird it can be for you and will be there to make it easy for you at first. I was really lucky that I had a good teacher and the people in the class were sound :p:

I'm still in touch with some of them now after leaving school!
    Ohh that's lucky. That's what I was hoping, to make some more friends there!

I know I'm being paranoid haha, but if it's AH hopefully there'll only be a handful of people in the class and it'll be really intimate.

(Original post by Meteorshower)
    You're in 6th year, you're old enough to deal with a rough school for one class. Even if people are disruptive, i'm afraid at this level you kinda just have to get used to it. Try not to have any preconceptions before you go though, you might have an experience like your friends' and enjoy it a lot.

I hope it works out and you do enjoy it!
    Thanks. I used to live in Shetland ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Thanks. I used to live in Shetland ...
    When? And Where?

When? And Where?
    Near Lerwick I was realllly young, can't remember much of it.

ReputationRep:
    Near Lerwick I was realllly young, can't remember much of it.
    Aww crap, and there I was thinking I might have known you :p:

Lerwick and near Lerwick is like half the population of Shetland though :p:

Aww crap, and there I was thinking I might have known you :p:

Lerwick and near Lerwick is like half the population of Shetland though :p:
    Maybe you passed me in the street when I was a small child :awesome:

You'll be at home in St Andrews then, they're both small places near the sea!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you passed me in the street when I was a small child :awesome:

You'll be at home in St Andrews then, they're both small places near the sea!
    I don't live there, Lerwick is crazily highly populated conurbation to me :p:

But yeah St Andrews is kinda similar to Lerwick :p:

ReputationRep:
    People are coming to my school to do AH art, in my class.
    Tbh, I cant wait. They way I see it, I might make a few new friends.

I would embrace this chance. And if it sucks, just stick it out. The year will fly by anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    People are coming to my school to do AH art, in my class.
    Tbh, I cant wait. They way I see it, I might make a few new friends.

I would embrace this chance. And if it sucks, just stick it out. The year will fly by anyway.
    Only if you enjoy it :p:

ReputationRep:
    A boy from a town 10 minutes down the road gets a bus in to do advanced higher german at my school, and he doesn't seem to mind it - I think he dislikes the bus ride more than he does being lumped in with a load of people he doesn't know. Most people in advanced higher classes are more concerned with the subject than they are with messing around. If they do mess around, they will probably drop it soon enough.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends had to cycle to another school across town to do AH Physics - he enjoyed it and has made a bunch of new friends and the teachers seemed very supportive.

ReputationRep:
    If there is anyone like me in your class: you're screwed.

ReputationRep:
    I would never have gone to another school just to do advanced highers, it was hard enough to convince myself to get out of bed every morning to 'learn' during 6th year, and I live around 50 metres away from the school! Couldn't really see the point of turning up to classes (did it anyway though...) when I could get a much better understanding from reading the 2 pages out of the book they're trying to paraphrase.

Yeah... 6th year will feel like a waste of time, but you won't be put in a class full of neds, don't worry about that. The school might have a different feel to it; noticed you mentioned you don't want them to be 'distruptive', in our school there was an open atmosphere between the students and teachers. We've had quite a few... interesting class discussions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaslug77)
    Most people in advanced higher classes are more concerned with the subject than they are with messing around. If they do mess around, they will probably drop it soon enough.
    You'd be surprised to see who takes it all the way with minimum effort, half of the investigations for biology and chemistry weren't handed in (weren't done) until a couple of hours before the deadline. Still got my hopes for an "A" though, decided to put my head down... a week before the exam :o:

(Original post by Lachlan)
    Read that again. :o:

(Original post by Lachlan)
    Why? :teeth:

It's the only school in the district that's offering it so maybe there are a couple of other people in the same boat as me. I'm fortunate enough to just need a taxi around the corner. Oooh new friends!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Why? :teeth:
    Because people like me piss around all year, stop everyone else working so they end up failing and getting C's and then we ourselves pull it out the bag at the last minute and get an A. I swear if someone had done an overhead seating plan with people's grades on it of my Higher chemistry class the grades of the people in the room would gradually drop the closer you got to me :p:.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.