Turn on thread page Beta

Moving away - i've changed my mind! watch

ReputationRep:
    I live far up north and during the application process for university i was adamant that i wanted to move away. i put down bath spa as my first choice and manchester as my second. im confident that ive done really well in my exams and will get what i need to move away. but now its coming to it, i really dont want to go. there are a few universities around me which i wouldnt mind going to, i really do not want to take a year out.

what are my options? does nobody else feel the same?

ReputationRep:
    I know it can be hard, but often if you push yourself to go through with it, you may find it's the best decision you ever made. And at this point, it would be hard to change what university you could go to unless you rejected both offers and went though clearing but I'm not sure if this is just reserved for those failing to meet their offers. If you really don't fancy going though with it however, you may have to wait for the next cycle of the UCAS.

Can i ask why you don't want to go?

ReputationRep:
    I did this but at the time I could apply through extra, not sure if this option is still open.
    Why don't you phone a couple of the unis you are interested in and ask how likely it is that they would accept you if you applied through clearing (providing there are spaces left).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewislad)
    I live far up north and during the application process for university i was adamant that i wanted to move away. i put down bath spa as my first choice and manchester as my second. im confident that ive done really well in my exams and will get what i need to move away. but now its coming to it, i really dont want to go. there are a few universities around me which i wouldnt mind going to, i really do not want to take a year out.

You could go through clearing, but don't try and talk yourself out of it.

I felt like this, too. Don't worry. :console: Everybody gets nervous, it's only natural. It's a big step, but think about all of the benefits are moving away, you'll be so self-dependent, and I'm sure you'll be really proud of yourself, for it. Once you get there, you'll realise how fantastic the place is, and remember why you chose it in the first place. Home is only a train journey away, too. & the people you love are only on the other end of the phone, right? So, really, it's not that far at all. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidcy147)
    I know it can be hard, but often if you push yourself to go through with it, you may find it's the best decision you ever made. And at this point, it would be hard to change what university you could go to unless you rejected both offers and went though clearing but I'm not sure if this is just reserved for those failing to meet their offers. If you really don't fancy going though with it however, you may have to wait for the next cycle of the UCAS.

Can i ask why you don't want to go?
    I know it sounds ridiculous and probably quite immature but i'm in a pretty serious relationship but im not sure how well it would work over a long distance. And it really just isn't that, im a really outgoing person but still a big worry for me is making friends. I know nobody where i am going, its daunting

ReputationRep:
    I know it sounds ridiculous and probably quite immature but i'm in a pretty serious relationship but im not sure how well it would work over a long distance. And it really just isn't that, im a really outgoing person but still a big worry for me is making friends. I know nobody where i am going, its daunting
    I know it's a cliche, but if it's meant to be, it'll work. There's an LDR society here on TSR who can probably help with any problems that arise.

A lot of people will also be in the same situation as you are, not knowing anyone and being in a totally new place. Unis have societies and things you can join, and you'll make friends with people in your halls and on your course.

My advice would be try and remember the reasons you wanted to move away in the first place. Everyone I know who has moved away for uni says they don't regret it. A lot of them were really nervous beforehand but are glad they didn't change their minds.

ReputationRep:
    I was the exact same situation as you last year. The whole relationship thing can be hard but your never bored to focus on the distance, and making friends is something which is really hard not to do! The important thing with this is that you keep your mind on the positives. Making new friends, learning new things, going to new places and getting a degree!

It may feel like your the only one feeling like this but trust me your not!

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine. Everyone will have the same worries about making friends and such and most people probably won't know anyone, certainly not many people.

As for your relationship, well, there's a long distance relationship society on here you could go to and ask for advice about that. Is it really worth giving up your place at uni because it could put a bit of a strain on your relationship? If you see yourself with that person for the rest of your life, well, 3 years isn't very long out of a life time, especially with the long holidays and weekends and such. If not, would you end up regretting it if the two of you broke up?

If you do want to stay close to home though, you'll have to go through clearing. Have a look at what unis were in it in previous years to get an idea of which are likely to be in there this year. If it's a competitive course/uni, they're very unlikely to be in clearing so that's something to think about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    I know it's a cliche, but if it's meant to be, it'll work. There's an LDR society here on TSR who can probably help with any problems that arise.

A lot of people will also be in the same situation as you are, not knowing anyone and being in a totally new place. Unis have societies and things you can join, and you'll make friends with people in your halls and on your course.

My advice would be try and remember the reasons you wanted to move away in the first place. Everyone I know who has moved away for uni says they don't regret it. A lot of them were really nervous beforehand but are glad they didn't change their minds.
    Why lie?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaneCook)
    Why lie?
    not a lie. Distance isn't a barrier. For the last five years I've lived in a completely different country to my best friend (I'm aware that's different to a relationship but is still proof that distance doesn't mean the end) and we're still best friends. For the last four years I've lived 3 hours away from all my other friends and the ones that are true friends I'm still very close to, the ones who I've grown apart from just didn't make the effort. If people make an effort then it can work, it just needs effort. Maybe that's naive of me, but I believe it anyway.

ReputationRep:

better then your offer.....? if so as far as i know if yuou do better than your offer theres some afirmative thing within 5 days of results released you gotta find another uni that accepts you....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    not a lie. Distance isn't a barrier. For the last five years I've lived in a completely different country to my best friend (I'm aware that's different to a relationship but is still proof that distance doesn't mean the end) and we're still best friends. For the last four years I've lived 3 hours away from all my other friends and the ones that are true friends I'm still very close to, the ones who I've grown apart from just didn't make the effort. If people make an effort then it can work, it just needs effort. Maybe that's naive of me, but I believe it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaneCook)
    I'm the biggest relationship cynic of them all and even I think you're being an ass! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure your not just getting a bit nervous now the moving date is coming near? I was all for moving away a few months ago when I submitted my application but I admit I'm getting a bit jittery now tbh so dont worry theres others in your position. I've decided just to get on with moving away, and if i dont like it I can always move back and try something else. Good luck with whatever you decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    I'm the biggest relationship cynic of them all and even I think you're being an ass! :p:
    Aww I'd get in a long distance relationship, just to prove it doesn't work. :yes:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.