Turn on thread page Beta

Law students, anyone? The "grades" question! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well i was just wondering, these of you who are already studying or studied law at university, what GCSE grades did you have when you applied. I am excluding unis like Oxford and Cambridge, but interested in Sheffield, Nottingham, Warwick..etc. And is 1 A*, 6 A;s and 4 B's good enough to apply for law? any advice would be appreciated! )

ReputationRep:
    You need A's, lots of them

Yours are good enough

Don't try for LSE however

ReputationRep:
    i think AS's and A level predicted grades are more important than gcses, as long as you're ready for hard work. And lots of it! Some uni's are 'superselectors' though, i.e. a* snobs, e.g. edinburgh, lse, nottingham but overall your grades should be ok, concentrate on getting top a levels though. Also bear in mind that there are other factors to take into consideration e.g. personal statement, LNAT, interviews. I got 4a*s for gcse and aaab at as level if that helps, so kind of in the same region as you. Good luck with your application!(Also Sheffield is my insurance if you have any sheff questions)feel free to PM

ReputationRep:
    Your grades are certainly good enough to be applying for law.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    I go to Nottingham, and received offers from Durham and Warwick.

GCSE grades do hold less importance than A levels. I got 2 A*'s, 4 A's, and the rest B's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasha_08)
    Well i was just wondering, these of you who are already studying or studied law at university, what GCSE grades did you have when you applied. I am excluding unis like Oxford and Cambridge, but interested in Sheffield, Nottingham, Warwick..etc. And is 1 A*, 6 A;s and 4 B's good enough to apply for law? any advice would be appreciated! )
    I have an offer from york uni for law and my GCSE's were 4 A's, 6 B's and 2 C's! You might struggle at the likes of warwick with your grades though ... i know people rejected with much better GCSE grades than you and on their way to AAA at a level.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol score your application. GCSEs make up 25% of your total points so are important, but with 6As rather than say 6A*s you won't lose enough points there to make much of a difference. If the rest of your application is good, and more importantly, your predicted grades are good, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSEs look pretty good so I wouldn't worry. I don't think Nottingham or Sheffield place great importance on them. It's more your A Levels and LNAT score that are significant

ReputationRep:
    Your grades seem the same as mine, except I got a C. And you can see, my offers are pretty decent. I'm thinking as long as you work in College and get A/B's with A predicitions - also remember unis like extra-cirricular activities, volunteering and work expirience (Not just in year 10) think bout all these things. And good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Mine were 2 A*s, 7 A's and 3 Bs and I have recently got into Exeter to read Law. Your grades seem a great foundation for studying it at uni.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.