Turn on thread page Beta

Bored before uni watch

ReputationRep:
    Title says it all really... trying hard to get a job but as I have virtually no experience everywhere I applies says no. So basically I've got to fill my time 24/7.

I have a few hobbies but they take up maybe 1-3 hours a day max., and I go out with my friends but don't really feel like it the WHOLE time. I mean, even if I went out every night I would still have so much time on my hands its unreal...

Any suggestions of what to do?

ReputationRep:
    Read a book. Watch a film. Learn how to play an instrument. Go to the gym. Go on holiday. Find a girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Summer gets boring after a month or so . If you're off to Uni in Sept just wait it out, it'll be worth the boring wait ;D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    Read a book. Watch a film. Learn how to play an instrument. Go to the gym. Go on holiday. Find a girlfriend.
    THIS :awesome:

Especially the book reading bit. You could try emailing the department of your university and ask them if they have got a reading list you could take a look at, or just ask if they could recommend anything. Or you could post a thread on the sub forum of your future uni on here and ask if any current students have suggestions for reading.

It sounds boring and crap, but the fact that you are going to university means you ought to have true enthusiasm for your subject and background knowledge is worth it's weight (or the weight of the books) in gold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmeem)
    Summer gets boring after a month or so . If you're off to Uni in Sept just wait it out, it'll be worth the boring wait ;D
    October for me

ReputationRep:
    get a girlfriend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hey guysch im kl)
    Title says it all really... trying hard to get a job but as I have virtually no experience everywhere I applies says no. So basically I've got to fill my time 24/7.

I have a few hobbies but they take up maybe 1-3 hours a day max., and I go out with my friends but don't really feel like it the WHOLE time. I mean, even if I went out every night I would still have so much time on my hands its unreal...

Any suggestions of what to do?
    Volunteer in a charity shop or something. It will give you experience needed for if you want to get a job at uni and will make your CV look good

ReputationRep:
    October for me
    Ahhh well, either way, don't worry too much about a boring summer, i'm having a rather boring one also. Just looking forward to Uni now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily069)

Especially the book reading bit. You could try emailing the department of your university and ask them if they have got a reading list you could take a look at, or just ask if they could recommend anything. Or you could post a thread on the sub forum of your future uni on here and ask if any current students have suggestions for reading.

It sounds boring and crap, but the fact that you are going to university means you ought to have true enthusiasm for your subject and background knowledge is worth it's weight (or the weight of the books) in gold.
    I bet books on archaeology are interesting. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Valuable lesson learnt in my time applying for (and getting) jobs - lie. If they ask have you done it before, then say yes.

ReputationRep:

Done already, I have 10 pretty hench 1st year books from the library yesterday. I spent 3 hours earlier today learning stuff, but I'm not sure I could sit for 10 hours straight or whatever making notes on graphs and equations etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Volunteer in a charity shop or something. It will give you experience needed for if you want to get a job at uni and will make your CV look good
    seems kinda pointless as I don't want a job at uni, and I want to work in either finance or become a barrister so would be irrelevant for any future job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    Valuable lesson learnt in my time applying for (and getting) jobs - lie. If they ask have you done it before, then say yes.
    I think its coming to that

ReputationRep:
    I bet books on archaeology are interesting. :awesome:
    Yeah, they are actually

If you're into that kinda thing...

ReputationRep:
    Done already, I have 10 pretty hench 1st year books from the library yesterday. I spent 3 hours earlier today learning stuff, but I'm not sure I could sit for 10 hours straight or whatever making notes on graphs and equations etc.
    Fair enough :awesome: It's cool that you've taken the initiative to go and do the background research

ReputationRep:
    get some preggers, chavvy style.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they are actually

If you're into that kinda thing...
    I'd rather watch Grand Designs. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather watch Grand Designs. :yep:
    I'd rather watch Time Team...

Are you mistaking archaeology for architecture?

Archaeology is the one about really old stuff that you dig up :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather watch Time Team...

Are you mistaking archaeology for architecture?

Archaeology is the one about really old stuff that you dig up :awesome:
    No, I know the difference.

architecture > archaeology

ReputationRep:
    seems kinda pointless as I don't want a job at uni, and I want to work in either finance or become a barrister so would be irrelevant for any future job.

Volunteering shows other skills an employer could want... they look at more than your academic qualifications when hiring people, even if it is barrister/ finance.

http://www.worksmart.org.uk/career/v...ion.php?eny=25
    It depends to a great degree on the kind of work you do, but whatever that is it will always provide a set of core skills that will be invaluable in the future. Practically all volunteer work requires you to develop the central skills of team-working, communication and relationship-building, all of which are necessities in the job market. Demonstrating that you’ve developed these skills in the volunteer sector will strongly increase your appeal to prospective employers.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.