Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've started using dumbbells (7kg). My question is how long shall I stay on 7kg? Shall I move to 10kg after a week? is it okay to take breaks between reps?

I don't know much about weights as you can see. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I tend to up my weights every week but I make sure that I can lift the heaviest possible, if you get what I mean. Like, is 7kg the max you can lift? If you can lift more then do so now, find your limit then up it the next week.

But much more knowledgeable guys use this forum so hopefully they can inform us all.

ReputationRep:
    7 kg will get you nowhere.

i would laugh to see the day when someone says their pr squat = 7kg.

You need proper weights which add up to over 50 kg if your a starter.

redefined is right though, you need to get weights which suit your max output. something you can't lift more than 12 times, preferably less than that.

And you also need to know that bicep curls count for **** when it comes to proper strength/mass building.

If you want the size or strength, you need to dive into benching, rows, pullups, dips, squats, dl etc. curls and extensions are SECOND to those lifts.

As for upping weights, a newbie can up around 2.5-5kg a week easily if they train right.

Don't rest between reps. reps are supposed to be done with tight technique, specific timings, with a specific number of reps.

if you can't perform proper technique on a rep, thats failure, if you can't keep up with specific timings, thats failure, and if you can't finish the set, thats failure.

failure in most cases marks the end of a set, although a lot of people will still attempt another rep or two after failing.

if you rest, thats cheating (although there is a technique involving it, you'll have to look it up. it's to do with being able to lift things like 1rm and 3rm multiple times).

(Original post by yoshifumu)
    7 kg will get you nowhere.

i would laugh to see the day when someone says their pr squat = 7kg.

You need proper weights which add up to over 50 kg if your a starter.

redefined is right though, you need to get weights which suit your max output. something you can't lift more than 12 times, preferably less than that.

And you also need to know that bicep curls count for **** when it comes to proper strength/mass building.

If you want the size or strength, you need to dive into benching, rows, pullups, dips, squats, dl etc. curls and extensions are SECOND to those lifts.

As for upping weights, a newbie can up around 2.5-5kg a week easily if they train right.

Don't rest between reps. reps are supposed to be done with tight technique, specific timings, with a specific number of reps.

if you can't perform proper technique on a rep, thats failure, if you can't keep up with specific timings, thats failure, and if you can't finish the set, thats failure.

failure in most cases marks the end of a set, although a lot of people will still attempt another rep or two after failing.

if you rest, thats cheating (although there is a technique involving it, you'll have to look it up. it's to do with being able to lift things like 1rm and 3rm multiple times).
    This is a good post. :dumbells:

ReputationRep:
    What does "using dumbbells" mean? For what exercise? If you use one weight for everything that's clearly nuts as you'll be stronger on certain lifts than others - I'd be a bit worried if you're curling the same weight you're squatting.

ReputationRep:

Sorry for the thread hi-jack, but I'd like to pick up a few point from this.

I up my weight by about 5-10kg most weeks, and as a 'newbie' your suggestion seems around about right.

You mention not resting between reps, but what about sets? I don't wait very long at all really.

Most of my sets are 12,10, 8. If I fail on that amount I will have a little rest (5secs) and then push out the remainder. Is that a good technique or do I need to learn more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    Sorry for the thread hi-jack, but I'd like to pick up a few point from this.

I up my weight by about 5-10kg most weeks, and as a 'newbie' your suggestion seems around about right.

You mention not resting between reps, but what about sets? I don't wait very long at all really.

Most of my sets are 12,10, 8. If I fail on that amount I will have a little rest (5secs) and then push out the remainder. Is that a good technique or do I need to learn more?
    It's not strictly correct to give it a rest and then go again. due to if your working out properly (every little detail taken into account, such as on a workout like GVT where you push to the second, and you rest to the second etc) you will have a set amount of time it takes you to lift, drop the weight, rest, and start again. obviously if you deviate from a set time, you've failed.

although it's not strictly correct however, lots of people still do it. it's not detrimental to the everyday workout, and it'll normally still give you the results. but for workouts like GVT, my advice is don't do it. (GVT = German Volume Training) just make sure you know what kinda workout your on, if it's a hardcore strict one, i'd do exactly what they say, if it's not so strict, i'd take the few secs rest.

Subjective to some people belief, but IMO, rest betweens ets is actually the MOST important part of your workout. Thats because how well you recover dominates which energy system gets exhausted.

If you want to build strength, you wait atleast 3 minutes, and up to 5 minutes. this allows your ATP-PC system to recover fully, so you only work this system. as a result you shouldnt fatigue (probably will in some cases, nothings perfect) and as a result you can lift your 5rm to 5 reps every set. as strength training is all about lifting as high as you can. (same concept counts for HIIT speed training)

IF you wanted size however, the rest has to be ~60-90 seconds (30 seconds sometimes for types of HIIT and other forms of endurance). this means ATP-PC is partially recovered, and the lactate system is partially recovered. as a result more pressure is put on the lactate system (as it can be used for longer). since this system IS what causes you to fatigue, you do fatigue, and if you're doing something like GVT, you should start failing after the 4th-5th set (and it goes on for 10 sets). this allows your body to build resistance to the lactate systems waste products, upping your bodies strength/speed endurance (dependent on whether its HIIT or weights). with a few added complications, endurance is size related (things like biggwer stores of glycogen etc) so your muscles get bigger faster than strenfgth training (although strength still gets you size)

ReputationRep:
    It's not strictly correct to give it a rest and then go again. due to if your working out properly (every little detail taken into account, such as on a workout like GVT where you push to the second, and you rest to the second etc) you will have a set amount of time it takes you to lift, drop the weight, rest, and start again. obviously if you deviate from a set time, you've failed.

although it's not strictly correct however, lots of people still do it. it's not detrimental to the everyday workout, and it'll normally still give you the results. but for workouts like GVT, my advice is don't do it. (GVT = German Volume Training) just make sure you know what kinda workout your on, if it's a hardcore strict one, i'd do exactly what they say, if it's not so strict, i'd take the few secs rest.

Subjective to some people belief, but IMO, rest betweens ets is actually the MOST important part of your workout. Thats because how well you recover dominates which energy system gets exhausted.

If you want to build strength, you wait atleast 3 minutes, and up to 5 minutes. this allows your ATP-PC system to recover fully, so you only work this system. as a result you shouldnt fatigue (probably will in some cases, nothings perfect) and as a result you can lift your 5rm to 5 reps every set. as strength training is all about lifting as high as you can. (same concept counts for HIIT speed training)

IF you wanted size however, the rest has to be ~60-90 seconds (30 seconds sometimes for types of HIIT and other forms of endurance). this means ATP-PC is partially recovered, and the lactate system is partially recovered. as a result more pressure is put on the lactate system (as it can be used for longer). since this system IS what causes you to fatigue, you do fatigue, and if you're doing something like GVT, you should start failing after the 4th-5th set (and it goes on for 10 sets). this allows your body to build resistance to the lactate systems waste products, upping your bodies strength/speed endurance (dependent on whether its HIIT or weights). with a few added complications, endurance is size related (things like biggwer stores of glycogen etc) so your muscles get bigger faster than strenfgth training (although strength still gets you size)
    Dude is there anything you don't know on this subject? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerodos)
    Dude is there anything you don't know on this subject? lol
    I get corrected all the time :P i'm still a baby comapred to some of the other guys.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to build strength, you wait atleast 3 minutes, and up to 5 minutes. IF you wanted size however, the rest has to be ~60-90 seconds.
    Thanks for that, I was well out then. Fixed as of today.

ReputationRep:
    Are you wrist-curling?

ReputationRep:
    assuming OP is talking about bicep curls:
    - Please don't just do bicep curls. You'll look silly, with parts of your arm being unproportional to the rest of your body.
    You ned a proper routine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.