Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi everyone

So I'm sure you're all tired of answering all those 'am i good enough' threads that clutter up the forum every application cycle. And guess what, we're only a couple of months away from the next one :woo:

I'm learning PHP over this summer and thought that I could flex my programming muscles by making a tool that may actually be useful to people.

But I need your expert opinion

* BSc Accounting and Finance
    * BSc Actuarial Science
    * BA Anthropology and Law
    * BA Social Anthropology
    * BSc Social Anthropology
    * BSc Business Mathematics and Statistics
    * BSc Economic History
    * BSc Economic History with Economics
    * BSc Economics and Economic History
    * BSc Economics
    * BSc Economics with Economic History
    * BSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics
    * BSc Environmental Policy
    * BSc Environmental Policy with Economics
    * BA Geography
    * BSc Geography with Economics
    * BSc Government
    * BSc Government and Economics
    * BSc Government and History
    * BSc Human Resource Management and Employment Relations
    * BA History
    * BSc International Relations and History
    * BSc International Relations
    * LLB Bachelor of Laws
    * BSc Management
    * BSc Management Sciences
    * BSc Mathematics and Economics
    * BSc Mathematics with Economics
    * BSc Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method
    * BSc Philosophy and Economics
    * BSc Politics and Philosophy
    * BSc Social Policy
    * BSc Social Policy and Criminology
    * BSc Social Policy and Economics
    * BSc Social Policy with Government
    * BSc Social Policy and Sociology
    * BSc Sociology

Above is the list of all undergraduate courses offered by LSE. For as many as you like, can you tell me, in terms of A*s and As, what GCSEs would you normally say are worth applying with. Realistically. Not minimum and not extraordinarily amazing. Enough to get considered seriously.

I'll plug these into my lil database thingy and hopefully it'll be a good resource.

I'd like to restrict this to people who have at least applied to LSE.

Thanks guys!!!

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just tell offer-holders/current lse students to post their gcses for the particular course. would seem very inaccurate if people just posted their opinions.

(Original post by The Enchanted Milkman)
    Why don't you just tell offer-holders/current lse students to post their gcses for the particular course. would seem very inaccurate if people just posted their opinions.
    You're right. However, we don't have that many active members so at best we'll have data for a few courses.

Secondly, people who reply to 'am i good enough' threads usually don't hold an offer for the course so are guesstimating using the course they did apply for.

(Original post by El Mariachi)
    Surely actual GCSE results and offers are better than people's speculative opinions?
    Oh yes absolutely, and I am looking through the Official Applicants threads.

The problem is that many people don't give their GCSEs, or there's one TSR member applying in that year for a course or whatever.

Can you tell me a better source? LSE don't release stats for this stuff do they? If not, I'm stuck with TSR. I agree, it's not the best.

Anyway, since people on this forum offer their opinion with regards to GCSE grades I thought it'd be a nice idea to formalise and automate the whole thing. What's the difference between a few randomers giving advice and a website which has compiled the advice?

The bottom line is this. This tool doesn't need to be too accurate. No one (especially a computer!) but the admissions people can tell you if you got a chance. My aim is to make something which gives out the equivalent of what a friend already at LSE would say to someone if asked whether the guy should apply. A ballpark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sports Racer)
    Oh yes absolutely, and I am looking through the Official Applicants threads.

The problem is that many people don't give their GCSEs, or there's one TSR member applying in that year for a course or whatever.

Can you tell me a better source? LSE don't release stats for this stuff do they? If not, I'm stuck with TSR. I agree, it's not the best.

Anyway, since people on this forum offer their opinion with regards to GCSE grades I thought it'd be a nice idea to formalise and automate the whole thing. What's the difference between a few randomers giving advice and a website which has compiled the advice?

The bottom line is this. This tool doesn't need to be too accurate. No one (especially a computer!) but the admissions people can tell you if you got a chance. My aim is to make something which gives out the equivalent of what a friend already at LSE would say to someone if asked whether the guy should apply. A ballpark.
    Few randomers giving advice will not give you valid data. I suggest you ask offer holders and current students. Even if it is a minority.

ReputationRep:
    I've got an offer for BSC economics and I've got 10 A* and 2 A. I'm sure this is not what's needed though, many people will stand a good chance with less than this!

(Original post by El Mariachi)
    Also, not sure how quickly you want data, but you may want to start the decisions thread for 2010-entry applicants, and put "GCSE grades" in addition to "Course applied for" and "A levels".
    I wanted to make a 2009 one but someone beat me to it :p:

I've got an offer for BSC economics and I've got 10 A* and 2 A. I'm sure this is not what's needed though, many people will stand a good chance with less than this!
    This is an ideal comment. Another one could be "I got rejected with these grades so I think you need more"

The point being that opinions AND observed data are better than observed alone.
    Example:
    1. BSc Economics 7A* rejected
    2. BSc Economics 7A* rejected AND 'I applied with 6A* and they said that my grades were ok but it was the personal statement that wasn't good enough'

I am not carrying out a quantitative research study. Any (sensible) opinion is good.

ReputationRep:
    Offer (whether I'll meet it is neither here nor there) for BSc. Government and History

GCSE: 1 A*, 5 A, 4 B, 1 C
    AS-Level: 1 A, 3 B

Offer AAB

ReputationRep:
    yeah cool thread OP, you ******* noob. Why not come into LSE sometime>? aha

ReputationRep:
    I do HE events at the LSE and this is what I tell students who are thinking about applying to the LSE.

What LSE usually do is compare your GCSE's and look at the school's overall GCSE performance for your year. So say for example X went to a private school in which over 85% of students get A*'s to C's he would be expected to get higher GCSE grades than a student who went to a school with only 20% of students getting A*'s to C's.

ReputationRep:
    For what it's worth, I have an offer for History. I got 2A*s, 8As and 2Bs. I go to a good grammar school as well where the most GCSE results are similar if not higher than that. LSE are clearly not the GCSE nazis I thought they were!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bahary)
    For what it's worth, I have an offer for History. I got 2A*s, 8As and 2Bs. I go to a good grammar school as well where the most GCSE results are similar if not higher than that. LSE are clearly not the GCSE nazis I thought they were!
    Exactly. People tend to forget that GCSE grades only make a small part of your UCAS application

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer for BSc Government with 7 A*s, 3 As and a B. Mine is a state grammar where that is probably in top 30%

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.