Turn on thread page Beta

Terrified about uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    I may sound like a bit of a wuss as I type out this little rant but I am so so so scared about uni!
    I am excited for my course, and for studying in London, and I know that the chances of me having a good time are high, but I just can't shake the fear!
    I can be fairly outgoing but as a general rule around new people I get really shy and I am dreading having to go round introducing myself to everyone and plucking up the courage to talk to new people and everything. And just the thought of living away from home with strangers scares me - I keep thinking of random things like what if I have really unsocial halls and don't meet anyone on my course then what will I do?!
    I know it's silly but I can't help it.
    Anyone else feeling the terror, as well as the excitement? How are you mentally preparing yourself/getting over it? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I felt the same last summer. It turned out to be one of the best years of my life and i can't wait to back. You'll be fine!!

ReputationRep:
    Aww dont worry! Everyone will be on the same boat as you. Some might just hide it better or confront it totally.
    It's going to be a major turning point in your life - you don't know what lies ahead so you are bound to feel excited but nervous. Everyone has those initial fears. I'm having them too! Not sure quite what to do to get rid of them.

ReputationRep:
    You will get over it pretty fast, uni sounds daunting but when you get there you'll fit in, everyone is in the same boat so you'll make friends fast enough.

ReputationRep:
    I'm terrified about not getting into Uni lol. Well the one I want. 1st year at Uni is meant to be piss. (h)

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes when I'm just drifting off to sleep I seem to think about some of the more negative things that might happen. Being in such a massive city (I'm also going to King's), not knowing anyone, not know where anywhere is, what if I end up doing really **** in my course, what if I don't make any friends etc. At those times it seems kind of daunting and a bit scary.

However when I think about it during the day, it just fills me with excitement!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveyouxx)
    I may sound like a bit of a wuss as I type out this little rant but I am so so so scared about uni!
    I am excited for my course, and for studying in London, and I know that the chances of me having a good time are high, but I just can't shake the fear!
    I can be fairly outgoing but as a general rule around new people I get really shy and I am dreading having to go round introducing myself to everyone and plucking up the courage to talk to new people and everything. And just the thought of living away from home with strangers scares me - I keep thinking of random things like what if I have really unsocial halls and don't meet anyone on my course then what will I do?!
    I know it's silly but I can't help it.
    Anyone else feeling the terror, as well as the excitement? How are you mentally preparing yourself/getting over it? :eek3:
    I am really worried about it too, more worried about actually getting in though, i'm at the waking up in the middle of the night crying and incrediably upset and dissapointed about something with a sense of "**** somethings wrong" waiting a moment for reality to kick in and then feeling even worse for remembering disturbing nightmare - failing results, failing to get in, teachers scrubbing me from schools record for failing so bad, parent disowning monumentally stupid child, you get the gist

so yh basically, with you on this one lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling exactly like you so I'd love to hear the advice people give :sad:

ReputationRep:
    No one will like you

ReputationRep:
    Just try to remember that everyone feels exactly the same. The first night in my house was the scariest night! We ate dinner separately, in our rooms and I remember thinking it was going to be like that all year and how would I stand it...and then one of the boys came knocking on the doors and asked if we fancied going for a drink...
    ...it was a little awkward then, but we're all living together next year and we've had some of the most amazing times. They're my best friends.

So yeh, of course you're going to panic becuase it is a scary situation, let's be honest :p: but it'll work out alright. you might not get on with your flat or corridor, but it's very very unlikely you wont get on with SOMEONE in your halls - a lot of people I know got on really well with the people in the flat above or below them rather than the people they were actually living with.
    Even if you don't get on with people in halls, you'll meet someone on your course - and think about it, you've got something in common if you're studying the same subject at university level.

Seriously, just go into it with an optimistic approach, you'll have an amazing time.
    When I was stressing about going to uni, my boyfriend said 'at the end of the day, if you hate it and don't make any friends, you can always come home' to which I replied 'oh, I was thinking at least if I don't make any friends, I can do really well in my degree because I won't have any distractions.'
    -two positive outlooks if worst come to worst

ReputationRep:
    I know how your feeling i was the same this time last year (god am i really a 2nd year), in the end i had a really sociable flat and loved every minute of it. Now due to my own messed up idea of living at home this ive missed out on a house share so am going back into halls. Im now once again worried that it wont be the same as last year as i might be put with unsociable people.

Remeber if there as space (likely after the 1st few weeks) you can apply to move if you dont get on with your flat mates

ReputationRep:
    In London you will be absolutely fine, especially going somewhere like King's. Very central, so you will have a ball in your first week and meet loads of new people. It'll be fine, you'll love it. I should know, I've lived in London for my whole life, now I'm moving away to experience something new It'll be the best time of your life.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you're not the only one so just try to take comfort in that; there'll be others in exactly the same boat. Try to be excited as as you said London is a great place to be studying and you're bound to meet loads of people and have a great time. All the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigbhoy91)
    I'm terrified about not getting into Uni lol. Well the one I want. 1st year at Uni is meant to be piss. (h)
    Same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    I'm feeling exactly like you so I'd love to hear the advice people give :sad:
    I'd expect you to be one of the least nervous, you seem quite confident. You/we'll all be fine. I think. :console:

ReputationRep:
    hey dont worry about it, everyone is going through the same thing.. i'm also going to kings and i dont even live in england so its going to be mega weird for me.. seriously, everyone is scared.. you'll be fine, just try to relax and enjoy yourself..

ReputationRep:
    I'm an extremely shy person, so of course like you I was very nervous on my first day of uni - but the thing is so was everybody else on the rest of my course! I ended up being one of the first to pluck up the courage and walk up to someone and say hi, then some people noticed we were chatting and turned around, introduced themselves, and on and on it went Instant buddies! Just be sociable and friendly, because most people at uni are lovely. If you recognise anyone from your class in the library or whatever, go up to them and ask them what they thought of the first lecture, how they're finding the reading list.

Also, look out for any clubs/societies/nights out that you might be interested in, sign up straight away and ask people if they fancy coming, sounds like it'll be a laugh, etc.

You're gonna have a great time, uni is an amazing chance to be whoever you want to be, so go for it!

ReputationRep:
    My first day was like that, a bit awkward at first. But the welcome party sorted that out haha. Was epic from then on!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    Sometimes when I'm just drifting off to sleep I seem to think about some of the more negative things that might happen. Being in such a massive city (I'm also going to King's), not knowing anyone, not know where anywhere is, what if I end up doing really **** in my course, what if I don't make any friends etc. At those times it seems kind of daunting and a bit scary.

However when I think about it during the day, it just fills me with excitement!
    king's woop woop! i AM excited but also scared in equal measure..what are you studying/what accommodation did you put as your first choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    I'd expect you to be one of the least nervous, you seem quite confident. You/we'll all be fine. I think. :console:
    Yeah, confident around the people I've known all my life and of course, around people on the internet :awesome: Different story going into a completely alien environment though with no friends and having to be completely independent :sad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.