Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"...Western society will either die out or be Islamised" Watch

ReputationRep:
    On the question of the major issues facing the next generation:

Roger Scruton
    philosopher and writer

The key challenge for philosophy in the 21st century is to rid itself of phony French nonsense of the Derrida, Deleuze, Badiou variety, to re-establish contact with the cultural and artistic traditions of our civilization, and to engage with the intellectual questions that really matter, concerning the nature and destiny of man.

In the next 18 years, society (i.e. Western society) should be addressing the issues of faith (whether, which and why), sex (whether, when and why not), food (what, why and where from), and children (whose and how many). If those questions are not addressed Western society will either die out or be Islamised: and which of those two fates is worse is also an issue that we should be addressing.
    Discuss

ReputationRep:
    Food?

ReputationRep:
    I think this problem can be seen quite clearly by the different reaction of many Mulims and many Westerners. One thread on TSR was about how close many European countries like France are from Islamisation. In this thread many Westerners were acting as if it wasn't important and called anyone who was even critical of the idea, a "racist". But the reactions of many Muslims was completely different, many of them were saying things such as "God willing" (Insha'Allah) showing how they thought it a good idea to have more nations with Muslim majorities but if a Westerner had said such a thing about considering it "God's Will" to have more Christian majority nations, he would have been called a bigot.

ReputationRep:
    Islam is a poison in Western society.

Boo ruddy hoo. Just because some idiot has said that the world isn't going to end. It might be nice to remember that for as long as Britain has been colonial we've been saying that "Islamic/Eastern/non-Western society will either die out or be Westernised".

ReputationRep:
    I'll be dead long before it has any significant impact so knock yourself out guys

ReputationRep:
    This is ridiculous. As a British person i see a lot more Roman catholics coming into our society cheifly from eastern Europe, perhaps we shouild worry about the roman catholic influence on future Britian?

Oh wait, we are only angry when its muslims. The muslims who immigrated here twenty years ago and have since been in decline.

ReputationRep:
    We will never be Islamised, Europeans like their alcohol too much.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    This is ridiculous. As a British person i see a lot more Roman catholics coming into our society cheifly from eastern Europe, perhaps we shouild worry about the roman catholic influence on future Britian?

Oh wait, we are only angry when its muslims. The muslims who immigrated here twenty years ago and have since been in decline.
    Because we're talking about the Western world, not just the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Islam is a poison in Western society.

^^ This basically. Call me racist/biggoted/whateveryouwant. I don't mind, I have my opinions We should keep ourselves to ourselves and they should do the same.

ReputationRep:
    Any kind of dominance of religious beliefs is a bad thing for any Western (or otherwise) society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neillya1)
    We should keep ourselves to ourselves and they should do the same.
    What? Who is "ourselves" and who is "they"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    Because we're talking about the Western world, not just the UK.
    Well each western nation is different and they source their immigrants from different regions.

We will not be the Islamic Repubic of Great Britain. Get over it.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    There are more atheists than ever in the west :dontknow: this just seems like scaremongering to me.

ReputationRep:
    no... I'm pretty sure religion is going to die out soon enough... Some muslims tried to convert me in year 7 but they thankfully stopped being such ***** later on... One of them is now an atheist and the other gets pissed every other night but wears a headscarf whenever her mums around because she's pretty scared of her... Besides I think you're forgetting about the equal amount of kids in this country that are from a muslim background and are becoming westernised themselves... This thread is a farce... the world is getting westernised through globalisation... not the other way around!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)

Today's moderate Roman Catholicism is nowhere near as fundamentalist as today's "moderate" Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MazalTov89)
    We will not be the Islamic Repubic of Great Britain. Get over it.

/thread
    No, we will be the Islamic Republic of Kafirland.

(Original post by Craig_D)
    There are more atheists than ever in the west :dontknow: this just seems like scaremongering to me.
    Exactly. Nothing new!

ReputationRep:
    Boo ruddy hoo. Just because some idiot has said that the world isn't going to end. It might be nice to remember that for as long as Britain has been colonial we've been saying that "Islamic/Eastern/non-Western society will either die out or be Westernised".
    Even when that 'idiot' is a University Professor with a doctorate from Cambridge who has been called to the bar and is regarded as one of the top 100 Public Intellectuals in Britain?

Anyway your argument seems to me to be flawed, we are under a different set of circumstances to colonial times. Your either assert yourself as a global power or you have to negotiate your place in the world. Right now if the West does neither as professor Scruton says we face Islamification or the death of our civilization.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.