Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im in Year 9 and next year I'll be starting my GCSE coursework etc, my three chosen were History, D.T and P.e. (French is a compulsory language i have to do) -
    My dad wants me to swap P.e for Spanish. I dont want to, but was wondering on advice on what P.E is like - for anyone who has already done it- is it a worthwhile GCSE to take? Any thoughts on Spanish too?
    I don't exactly know what I want to become when i'm older, but I love P.E, but dont know any particular or suitable careers in the profession. My dad says Spanish will be very useful to me, but I'm not sure?
    Can anyone help please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeAreThePeople)
    Im in Year 9 and next year I'll be starting my GCSE coursework etc, my three chosen were History, D.T and P.e. (French is a compulsory language i have to do) -
    My dad wants me to swap P.e for Spanish. I dont want to, but was wondering on advice on what P.E is like - for anyone who has already done it- is it a worthwhile GCSE to take? Any thoughts on Spanish too?
    I don't exactly know what I want to become when i'm older, but I love P.E, but dont know any particular or suitable careers in the profession. My dad says Spanish will be very useful to me, but I'm not sure?
    Can anyone help please

personally i wouldn't do Spanish. yes PE will not be as useful but in my opinion Spanish hinders French because most of my Friends were A* standard until they took up spanish and they ended up with Bs and As (although a few managed both at A*). I chose German because it is as useful as Spanish in my opinion and it is nothing like French so you won't get confused.

Anyway went off topic. I'd do PE

ReputationRep:
    Spanish is WAY more useful - if you're planning on going to university, they'll consider you much more seriously with Spanish than if you have PE. It's much harder than PE - but then more rewarding. It can lead to do further things. Also one of the most commonly spoken languages around the world.

ReputationRep:
    Do Drama if you can it's an easy A.

ReputationRep:
    To back up my original point, German is useful and looks good and yet won't confuse your French

ReputationRep:
    If you're not bothered about doing Spanish at uni or A level, don't do it. It'd be harder to get an A in and it was one of my most stressful GCSEs!
    Also, it's annoying doing French and Spanish at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acm345)
    To back up my original point, German is useful and looks good and yet won't confuse your French
    i did german in yr 5 and 6 but cant remember any of it, surely i needed to have done more german to be able to take it for gcses? is a little less than two years enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    If you're not bothered about doing Spanish at uni or A level, don't do it. It'd be harder to get an A in and it was one of my most stressful GCSEs!
    Also, it's annoying doing French and Spanish at the same time.
    thanks, i thought it would- as ive been doing it for the past three years latin included!

ReputationRep:
    PE got quite a bit of biology in it, so if you like biology, go for it

ReputationRep:
    Do you really need french and spanish :no:

ReputationRep:
    good point

ReputationRep:
    Do PE. I love Spanish, but you should do something you love. A Levels is when the subjects you choose really matters. Do what you want at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeAreThePeople)
    i did german in yr 5 and 6 but cant remember any of it, surely i needed to have done more german to be able to take it for gcses? is a little less than two years enough?

i did German in 2 years although it did only click at the end of the course so i don't know. To be honest you could do it but if you wanna do PE you might as well do that, I did German french and latin and have found german really useful and that latin looks really impressive on an application. Are you taking latin?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do P.E then do it. After all you are the one going to be studying and taking the exams for it. Also if you think doing Spanish will hinder your chances of achieving those high grades, then by all means opt for P.E

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acm345)
    i did German in 2 years although it did only click at the end of the course so i don't know. To be honest you could do it but if you wanna do PE you might as well do that, I did German french and latin and have found german really useful and that latin looks really impressive on an application. Are you taking latin?
    wow, three languages, you sound like you would have been one of the rare people able to do that! its difficult!
    i used to do latin, but they only let a select group take it for gsce, besides i only did it for two years, which isnt much as long as some other people who joined our school (starts from year 9)

ReputationRep:
    I suggest Spanish simply because it seems to be more respected and useful, but if you like P.E then go for it.

Personally, I think you should do Spanish, because if you put in the work, it should be alright. Also, the work you put in would be more rewarding and you would gain a sense of achievement in comparison to PE. Tbh, even if you get a B in Spanish, it still appeals to universities and sixth form because it's respected and academic. Also learning Spanish will give you a new skill in addition to French. Plus Spanish could help French and visa versa because there are some similiarities between the languages. As long as you put in a bit of effort etc, you will gain a good grade. Even if it's a B tbh. Do Spanish, otherwise you may regret it. Tbh, your father's right in saying that. You don't need to do GCSE PE. What for? It's not useful. Useful for biology? No, people can definitely still cope with Biology without GCSE PE. Honestly, do Spanish. In the long term, it will benefit you more than PE.
    You also mentioned you don't know what you want to be when you're older - SPANISH KEEPS YOUR OPTIONS OPEN! The fact you are also doing French is even better - the more languages, the better! PE quite restricts your options tbh. Also, you might even like Spanish and take it up as an AS level!
    I see you are also doing DT - that will definitely take a lot of your time, especially for coursework; and you don't want to be practising for your PE practical when you got a DT work to do, don't you? Whereas Spanish is more flexible and if you do do the coursework, it's literally 200-300 words per piece (I think there are 3 pieces but not too sure. Check your exam board). Honestly, do Spanish.
    Plus, you say you love PE. Please, there's theory involved - you don't want to do that, don't you? And tbh, you don't need to be tested for it. If you love it, just do it in your spare time. PE is one of those subjects that should only be taken as a hobby. Don't make the mistake of doing the GCSE. Depending on your exam boards you may have to do a PEP, which is NOT fun.
    Take Spanish - you'll probably love it!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.