The Student Room Group

How do you deal with separation?

Okay, didn't really know how to word the title... ah well....

I'm in South Africa, my boyfriend is in Chile.... I haven't seen him since the end of June and I'm not going to see him until September :frown: And he's got very limited internet access, so I hardly talk to him too >_< There seem to be a lot of TSRians who have long distance relationships, so I was wondering... how do you deal with it? This isn't meant to be a whiney-mopey-asking-for-advice thread, I was just genuinely interested to see how other people deal with the separation from their partner. Like... would you start doing other activities to get your mind off them? Etc.

:smile:

EDIT: Okay, I didn't explain myself properly xP We both live in the UK, but I'm in SA doing work experience and he's in Chile doing world challenge... which means we can't send letters or call each other, as he's always on the move. I can't go out at night as it's too dangerous xP
There's a LDR soc here.
Also, write them letters, that's always lovely :love:
Reply 2
Antimatter
There's a LDR soc here.
Also, write them letters, that's always lovely :love:

It's not a permanent thing - he's on a World Challenge expedition and I'm doing work experience here.

Heh, the post in SA is so slow by the time the letter arrives I'll be back in England! >_<

But yeah, I love receiving letters :love: :smile:
Reply 3
Doing sports or something that you do several times a week does get your mind off it
I would say think about doing things to distract yourself :yep:

Taking up a new hobby might be a good step in the right direction. Plus you can learn a new skill or whatever in the mean time.

Spend more time with friends? Get a part time job? You'll be reunited before you know it :console:
Reply 5
Kytiane
Okay, didn't really know how to word the title... ah well....

I'm in South Africa, my boyfriend is in Chile.... I haven't seen him since the end of June and I'm not going to see him until September :frown: And he's got very limited internet access, so I hardly talk to him too >_< There seem to be a lot of TSRians who have long distance relationships, so I was wondering... how do you deal with it?

:smile:

Hi Kytiane!
I've been in the same situation. I am in the UK and my boyfriend has been working in America since the first week of June. I will finally see him in 2 and a half weeks time..but like your fella he has had very limited access to his email account, and phone calls were few and far between up until the middle of July!

My best advice is to keep busy busy busy. Throw yourself into something creative, have a good laugh with friends, make plans and arrange days/nights out around dates in the not-so-distant future..If there's somewhere you want to visit/something you want to do, optimise August and make these things possible. A month will flyyy by.

Something I've found very theraputic is to send my boy a letter with some photos and sweets attached :o: (done recently) because it was great to be able to jot stuff/recent happenings down and then it gives him a token to return home with. :smile:

Set little targets and treat yourself often. Moping doesn't help, but forward thinking does. Perhaps you could ask him to get a phonecard or arrange a night of the week where you get to chat to one another properly?

Be social and outgoing in the meantime, and the next month will fly. I haven't seen my bf for 2 months now, but it's time to get excited because it's now a matter of weeks if you know what I mean?

Hope this helps x
Reply 6
koko-popz
Hi Kytiane!
I've been in the same situation. I am in the UK and my boyfriend has been working in America since the first week of June. I will finally see him in 2 and a half weeks time..but like your fella he has had very limited access to his email account, and phone calls were few and far between up until the middle of July!

My best advice is to keep busy busy busy. Throw yourself into something creative, have a good laugh with friends, make plans and arrange days/nights out around dates in the not-so-distant future..If there's somewhere you want to visit/something you want to do, optimise August and make these things possible. A month will flyyy by.

Something I've found very theraputic is to send my boy a letter with some photos and sweets attached :o: (done recently) because it was great to be able to jot stuff/recent happenings down and then it gives him a token to return home with. :smile:

Set little targets and treat yourself often. Moping doesn't help, but forward thinking does. Perhaps you could ask him to get a phonecard or arrange a night of the week where you get to chat to one another properly?

Be social and outgoing in the meantime, and the next month will fly. I haven't seen my bf for 2 months now, but it's time to get excited because it's now a matter of weeks if you know what I mean?

Hope this helps x

Awww, thanks for the lengthy reply... Some good advice in there! :smile: I'll try stay positive, but it gets pretty hard... I suppose you would know though! Remind me to rep you tomorrow, and... have fun in two weeks!
Reply 7
Kytiane
Awww, thanks for the lengthy reply... Some good advice in there! :smile: I'll try stay positive, but it gets pretty hard... I suppose you would know though! Remind me to rep you tomorrow, and... have fun in two weeks!

you're welcome

Latest

Trending

Trending