Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To those of you who are applying for medicine, do you already know you are comfortable with blood and seeing a heart beating while in surgery? If you have not seen it before how do you know how you will react? If you feel unwell it would be a waste of time applying, would it not.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought I was comfortable around blood and all that jazz.
    Done work experience on a day surgery ward, cleaning up bloodied bedsheets, seen operations etc
    Nothing so far to suggest I have an issue with it...
    I'm always craning my neck to get a better view!

And no, it wouldn't be a waste of time (for the queasy applicant). Plenty of branches of medicine where you can apply yourself without worrying about blood and stuff. (primary care) :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I went to Medlink in December last year and somebody asked this question to one of the medical students who was giving a talk. She actually did have a bit of a thing about blood and apparently... you just get over it. I'd imagine if you're exposed to it enough then you just kinda get used to it. As for me, I know I have no problem with blood ^-^ Doing work experience in a South African hospital and saw a leg amputation today... definitely no issues. Vomit, however, I do have a phobia of =X

ReputationRep:
    Not too bothered by blood. Can't particularly do the sharp end of needles though, it's not exactly my sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've watched surgery & been fine. Blood really does not bother me, I challenge you to make me squeem!

If you are squeemish though, don't worry, med school will drive that out of you

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't really bother me. Shadowed plenty of surgeons and haven't had a problem (yet).

ReputationRep:
    Non issue for me, never bothered me.
    Nor needles but then I have never stuck them in someone else only had them stuck in me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harryf08)
    To those of you who are applying for medicine, do you already know you are comfortable with blood and seeing a heart beating while in surgery? If you have not seen it before how do you know how you will react? If you feel unwell it would be a waste of time applying, would it not.
    erm...surgery is only one part of medicine...and beating heats is only one small part of surgery.

how do i deal with blood?

1. wear gloves
    2. hopefully be wearing scrubs, if not then some super-unsexy sub-nurse get up, the likes of which the linen dept are too stingy to give me enough sets to work a full week =(
    3. be careful/aware of sharps
    4. clean up blood
    5. dispose of wipes
    6. apply something chlorine based and let dry
    7. wash hands!!

magic. and easy peasy.

now how to deal with ****? that's the big question... blood doesn't smell.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    1.Blood is cool
    2. Death is not that hard too see
    3. Surgery is amazing.

Watch Autopsy Live and Surgery Live to accustomize you then when you see it for real its a bit different but you wont be bothered by it.

And dont feel guilty when you see a dead body (and wrap it with a nurse as a HCA) because you think its amazingly interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    2. Death is not that hard too see
    3. Surgery is amazing.

Watch Autopsy Live and Surgery Live to accustomize you then when you see it for real its a bit different but you wont be bothered by it.

And dont feel guilty when you see a dead body (and wrap it with a nurse as a HCA) because you think its amazingly interesting.
    2. Depends how they die. I have to say, listening to an old lady whose face LOOKED like death, who SMELT like death, who couldn't communicate, whose very presence seemed like death and whose breathing was just a certain way and who moaned and groaned all night, night after night, just lying in bed, unable to speak or do anything and who shook and moaned feebly when I washed her...until she died...well, that wasn't easy to see. I didn't see her die, I just saw the last nights of ''life''. she was halfway dead.

3. Depends what sort of surgery and how often you watch it. Abscesses are usually not amazing, nor are ERPCs...some things might be amazing the first time, total hip, pseudos but there's only so many times you can watch a lap chole, for example and get excited. The excitement for me is the goss whislt you watch - not being rude, just imo!

ReputationRep:
    Blood is something ive not needed to learn to get used too, my mentor told me apparently being a woman and having a period makes us immune to blood, i didn't know whether to take that seriously or not..

I guess its like any phobia, over exposion etc? I dont have a phobia of anything anymore, and have only felt quesy 2/3 times, the first few times when dealing with c-diff poo, and my first dead body, was in this room, and there was this smell and i got paranoid about breathing it in..and ended up not breathing at all lol

ReputationRep:
    Blood is not an issue, if someone where to throw up infront of me however.... eww

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    pseudos
    Is that a pseudoaneurysm? If so, what it is and how do they fix 'em? :teeth: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    Is that a pseudoaneurysm? If so, what it is and how do they fix 'em? :teeth: :p:
    I was referring to the 13hr op for pseudomyxoma peritonei/''jelly belly''. Not that it's that great, just because it's slightly unusual to see, but not that great really. If you're going to Southampton and do surg placements in a certain hosp in a certain part of Hants you might well see it. And nice teeth :-) and many congrats again! and how you doin??
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    2. Depends how they die. I have to say, listening to an old lady whose face LOOKED like death, who SMELT like death, who couldn't communicate, whose very presence seemed like death and whose breathing was just a certain way and who moaned and groaned all night, night after night, just lying in bed, unable to speak or do anything and who shook and moaned feebly when I washed her...until she died...well, that wasn't easy to see. I didn't see her die, I just saw the last nights of ''life''. she was halfway dead.

3. Depends what sort of surgery and how often you watch it. Abscesses are usually not amazing, nor are ERPCs...some things might be amazing the first time, total hip, pseudos but there's only so many times you can watch a lap chole, for example and get excited. The excitement for me is the goss whislt you watch - not being rude, just imo!

2. I experienced that, and i was talking about the actual dead body.
    Seeing someone take their last breath is weird, but still very interesting.

3. Yea seeing the same op over and over would loose some of its wow factor.

ReputationRep:
    I've not had anyone bleed profusely in front of me yet, so I can't say for sure although I don't see why I would be bothered by it.

I mean, during work experience and stuff, I've had people cough phlegm onto me... I managed to get pissed on as well by an old man - don't ask... and that stuff didn't really bother me that much. I mean, of course I didn't like it - who would, but it didn't really affect me that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    2. I experienced that, and i was talking about the actual dead body.
    Seeing someone take their last breath is weird, but still very interesting.
    Interesting? :wtf:

ReputationRep:
    I was referring to the 13hr op for pseudomyxoma peritonei/''jelly belly''. Not that it's that great, just because it's slightly unusual to see, but not that great really. If you're going to Southampton and do surg placements in a certain hosp in a certain part of Hants you might well see it. And nice teeth :-) and many congrats again! and how you doin??
    Oh right; is it particularly prevalent down in Hants? Thanks And thanks again I'm pretty good thanks, although this summer is turning out to be average, mainly thanks to the **** weather! How are you? Haven't seen you on here in a while How's St. Andies?

ReputationRep:
    didn't they let you do some dissection in school? how did that go? that should be a pretty good indicator of how you feel with blood and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I'm comfortable with it, I've seen various body parts cut up. Watching a disection (prosection?) does concern me though. I have seen them on tv before, and that was fine, but I don't think anything could compare you for seeing it 'live' - so to speak :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.