Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi - first post seeking advice! I'm starting at Perth College next month on an access on which I will do three highers, English, History and Politics - in preparing for gaining a place at uni.

Being rather mature it's over 20 years since I last sat a higher, and I'd like to get the heads up on what I should be studying before I start at college, I've got a month off before starting so I'd like to use the time productively.

is there any way I can find out the syllabus for the Higher courses- I can't call the college because they're still on holiday! Any advice on what kind of reading I should be doing for my highers?

I've looked at SQA's website but I'd rather get as much info as possible from those that are or have just studied Highers.

Any advice gratefully received!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Well I've only taken English out of that lot.
    Have you got any study books? Pop into WHSmiths or a book shop and buy 'How to Pass: Higher English.' If you use this book through out the year you will benefit greatly from it.

As to actual work, you can't really unless you are aware of what texts you plan on studying. You will be required to do a PSL so think about a book which you really enjoy and re-read it ready for it. Make notes as you go through but you'll end up reading it a good two or three times through out the year.

As you go through the year there are a few Hodder Gibbinson books you may want to look at, however you won't need them all. Just buy the ones which have a close look at a particular area you are struggling.

Hope this helps! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    The course specifications are on the SQA site. Go to 'services for learners' and choose your subject from the 'NQ Subjects' dropdown box on the left. On the right hand side will be a link saying 'arrangements documents' - this will give you what you want.

e.g. English arrangements documents

In terms of reading, I have no idea what History and Politics contain so I can't help there. For Higher English, it might be useful to read some books (or poetry) that you think you'd like to do your personal study on. Your personal study is a literature essay based on a question and text of your choice. I believe you can also choose to answer on some aspect of the English language itself, but I've never come across anyone doing so.

(Original post by xo-Heva)
    Hodder Gibbinson
    Hodder Gibson.

ReputationRep:
    Wonderful, thanks to you both for your responses - I was on the SQA site earlier and didn't realise that the arrangements documents were what I was looking for!

I've already bought the how to pass books for history and english, politics doesn't seem to exist, i was so worried about this today that's why I looked on SQA's site to see whether there was an actual politics higher!

Thanks again, really appreciate your help, as someone hurtling towards 40 highers have changed a lot since I last did them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aruwen)
    Wonderful, thanks to you both for your responses - I was on the SQA site earlier and didn't realise that the arrangements documents were what I was looking for!

I've already bought the how to pass books for history and english, politics doesn't seem to exist, i was so worried about this today that's why I looked on SQA's site to see whether there was an actual politics higher!

Thanks again, really appreciate your help, as someone hurtling towards 40 highers have changed a lot since I last did them!
    Google "Higher History Bitesize", that will give you some info on the course. You can look at past papers on the SQA website. You will basically do one paper where you write two essays based on the topics you studied, and yo have to argue out the different arguments at hand, and then you will do another paper where you have to use enquiry skills, and evaluate sources and stuff. There is also an extended essay (an essay that you will write, of your choice. You get to take in a plan with you, and it's normally an essay you know very well!) that's done internally, and is worth about 30 marks of your overall grade.

There are two books called Int 2/Higher History Course Notes Part 1 & 2, which are quite good. You might find those useful.

There prolly isn't any higher politics stuff since a lot of people don't do that higher, yet...so don't worry . But, a lot of schools post online notes for those types of subjects, so it's just a google away.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/learning/bitesize/higher/

This should help with history & english but can't find anything on politics tho sorry. I done higher history last year myself & it was verrrrry good

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=

There are two books called Int 2/Higher History Course Notes Part 1 & 2, which are quite good. You might find those useful.

QUOTE]

Hi, I did history last year and yes the Int2/Higher leckie and leckie study books are good.

However dont buy these books until you know what topic you are study and what period of time.
    Because I did Russia and Russia is not covered in either of those books.

I had all the books that were going for english but the book i found most useful was leckie and leckie grade booster for higher english.

Also type in google 'higher still notes' and you should get a good website!

For higher english you will have to do a personal study ( theres lists on here which will give you good books)

Also just type in google higher english revison and there should be some good revision websites

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.