Turn on thread page Beta

My friends are making plans to come over and see me in at the end of August. We are staying in a caravan and a house as we travel about doing touristy things, but we will be passing my home town. I'm terrrified they will see my home or meet my mother. She's a little (alot) unstable, and my house is tiny. I really don't want my university friends seeing what my life is like here. I feel like I'm going to be sick...Is anyone else in this position?

ReputationRep:
    Hun, they're your friends for a reason!
    I find the best way to combat potential embarassment or discomfort is to apply humour to every situation. Perhaps tell one of them that you're emabarassed by certain aspects of your homelife, and organise stuff to do which doesn't include meeting your mum or spending a lot of time at your house.

ReputationRep:
    Chloroform, rope and cupboard?

ReputationRep:
    None of my friends from uni have been taken to my house. I keep them very seperate so I can understand your anxiety. Don't really have any advice but I understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Chloroform, rope and cupboard?
    :poke:

Thanks, I'm trying to rationalise my anxiety now, I suppose I'll talk through it with family members tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Like someone else said they're friends for a reason.

Are they planning to stay over or is it just a day visit? If it's just a day visit, you can always make an excuse so they don't have to come to your hose at all (i.e. its being decorated or something).

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure your mother loves and appreciates you as well as being ashamed as much as you do..

This is the reason why im scared to have a gf

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.