Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok.. My partner and I are moving to cardiff soon, and will be attending seperate unis in the same area. We live together, and have done for a while so we're going to rent privately. We found somewhere today but aren't sure wether it's too expensive. Can someone tell me if this is an ok price, and will it be affordable on our loans? (we hope to get part time jobs also..but don't want to rely on that.. just incase)
    Ok it's 2 bed - 1 double, 1 single/study/guestroom. And its £550pcm. We also need to consider bills which will be upto £100 on top.

(we've seen others, and this is the best by far! location and quality being taken into consideration, Also it was meant to be £600, but we managed to get it down to £550 if we decide by tomorrow morning. :confused:
    We did see 1 beds also but didn't find anything big enough.
    Any advise?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? Please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katechar_X)
    Ok.. My partner and I are moving to cardiff soon, and will be attending seperate unis in the same area. We live together, and have done for a while so we're going to rent privately. We found somewhere today but aren't sure wether it's too expensive. Can someone tell me if this is an ok price, and will it be affordable on our loans? (we hope to get part time jobs also..but don't want to rely on that.. just incase)
    Ok it's 2 bed - 1 double, 1 single/study/guestroom. And its £550pcm. We also need to consider bills which will be upto £100 on top.

(we've seen others, and this is the best by far! location and quality being taken into consideration, Also it was meant to be £600, but we managed to get it down to £550 if we decide by tomorrow morning. :confused:
    We did see 1 beds also but didn't find anything big enough.
    Any advise?
    £550 is okay but i'm sure you can get cheaper.

Where is this location?

Try a few of the yellow pages or metro newspaper or echo or what ever.

Look on the internet.

If possible try and visit the university and see if anybody has put up any notices.

You could both live in halls for the first year whilst you find another apartment.

Good luck...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Examboy*)
    £550 is okay but i'm sure you can get cheaper.

Where is this location?

Try a few of the yellow pages or metro newspaper or echo or what ever.

Look on the internet.

If possible try and visit the university and see if anybody has put up any notices.

You could both live in halls for the first year whilst you find another apartment.

Good luck...
    We've looked everwhere. This is the average price for a 2 bed...it's in a good student area, and it would be more expensive for halls. £80 each per week +.
    The £550 is between us also.

ReputationRep:
    We've looked everwhere. This is the average price for a 2 bed...it's in a good student area, and it would be more expensive for halls. £80 each per week +.
    The £550 is between us also.
    Oh fair enough then. Which area are you going to be living in?

ReputationRep:
    Oh fair enough then. Which area are you going to be living in?
    We're gonna be living about 15 minute from both universities, about 5-10 minute walk from town.

ReputationRep:
    We're gonna be living about 15 minute from both universities, about 5-10 minute walk from town.
    That's not too bad then.

What you both studying?

ReputationRep:
    That's not too bad then.

What you both studying?
    Do you live in cardiff?
    Im doing psychology in cardiff uni, and my partners doing media production in the atrium

ReputationRep:
    Do you live in cardiff?
    Im doing psychology in cardiff uni, and my partners doing media production in the atrium
    :yep:

Nice.

I apply this year.

ReputationRep:
    :yep:

Nice.

I apply this year.
    Aww right...what uni you applying for in cardiff? What course? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Aww right...what uni you applying for in cardiff? What course? :p:
    Dentistry @ Cardiff.

Well done on getting in Psycology!

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to come and do Psychology It doesn't sound too expensive for first glance but remember to think about Council Tax on top of the rent, deposit and ask to see the Energy Performance Certificate because that will give you an idea on how much the bills will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahRos)
    I'm hoping to come and do Psychology It doesn't sound too expensive for first glance but remember to think about Council Tax on top of the rent, deposit and ask to see the Energy Performance Certificate because that will give you an idea on how much the bills will be.
    You dont have to pay council tax as far as i know in uni...You've made me uncertain now

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty much standard rent for a two bedroom house in Cathays. If you lived in a 4/5/6 (etc.) share then it would cost you less each, but obviously you're not looking for that.

Also, full-time students definitely don't have to pay council tax, even if they're in private accomodation. Bills (gas, electricity, phone, internet, water) will probably work out at £30 each per month.

ReputationRep:
    You dont have to pay council tax as far as i know in uni...You've made me uncertain now
    No you don't while you're in full time education!

You're other bills won't be too much either.

Most of your money will be spent on Rent and if you go out.

Good luck and have fun anyway!

ReputationRep:
    No you don't until you're in full time education!

You're other bills won't be too much either.

Most of your money will be spent on Rent and if you go out.

Good luck and have fun anyway!
    employment, you mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    employment, you mean
    Yup sorry.

Or just change until to while! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for scaring you. I didn't realise you didn't pay as a student, I've recently been looking with a friend who isn't a student so that was in our calculations. Hope to see you in September

ReputationRep:
    Hey - have u thought about private halls such as Liberty Living?? they include all yr bills and contents insurance and free internet. council tax is definataly free if ur a full time student, my cousin said that the uni give u a document to give ur landlord to prove your status.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.