The Student Room Group

What is living in London like?

kk, i started a thread in H+R that got me thinking. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=982662

I live in an area which can be pretty damn racist (near Newcastle). So, yeah, i have horror stories of what i saw in just a week in Newcastle. Not to say that this represents the people of Newcastle btw, because they are very friendly.

A guy was walking out of a club and these women stop him and start mocking his 'ethiopian arms' and throw their kebabs at him.

An ethnic Middle eastern guy tries to dance with a woman on the dancefloor, she screams 'we only talk to English people'.

Group of girls in a pizza shop saying words like '*****'.

So i'm moving to London for uni, what is it like to live there as a student?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mr_Steve_Stifler
kk, i started a thread in H+R that got me thinking. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=982662

I live in an area which can be pretty damn racist (near Newcastle). So, yeah, i have horror stories of what i saw in just a week in Newcastle. Not to say that this represents the people of Newcastle btw, because they are very friendly.

A guy was walking out of a club and these women stop him and start mocking his 'ethiopian arms' and throw their kebabs at him.

An ethnic Middle eastern guy tries to dance with a woman on the dancefloor, she screams 'we only talk to English people'.

Group of girls in a pizza shop saying words like '*****'.

So i'm moving to London for uni, what is it like to live there as a student?

You'll need a lot of kebabs to throw.
Reply 2
Expensive but ******* awesome =]
Reply 3
it's good, especially if you live in the famous hotspots -- brixton, finsbury park, tower hamlets, croydon etc.
i heard you can get free stuff from white boys in skinny jeans.
Reply 4
I've never seen any racism in Newcastle...

Unless you count the Mackems/smoggies as a race...
Reply 5
Notting Hill area is amazing lol, housing is very expensive but believe it or not food is actually pretty cheap especially down Portobello Market.
Reply 6
lulz anon fail

Anyway London is the best, nowhere like it in this country, couldn't live anywhere else

Expensive as hell though
Reply 7
Central London is cool, greater london...not so much :erm:
It has its fair share of dodgy areas, not to mention areas which only has specific ethnic groups so walking around a town where you're the only white kid surrounded by crowds of asians...well you get quite a lot of looks lets just say lol.
If you go live around the London unis it should be fine, it's usually quite civilised and its more diverse :yep:
Reply 8
learn your slang and your sorted BLAD
Reply 9
Davy-Jones
Central London is cool, greater london...not so much :erm:
It has its fair share of dodgy areas, not to mention areas which only has specific ethnic groups so walking around a town where you're the only white kid surrounded by crowds of asians...well you get quite a lot of looks lets just say lol.
If you go live around the London unis it should be fine, it's usually quite civilised and its more diverse :yep:

lol southall and Hounslow !!
Reply 10
Depends what part of London your talking about...
London.... :love:
Reply 12
Ive moved from Alum Rock (Birmingham) to South West London, id say SW is a mixed cultural sociaty with alot of activaties (mostly free). So if I consider London better than Birmingham then it gotta be :biggrin:
Reply 13
G550NDH
learn your slang and your sorted BLAD

Innit! Braap Braaap!!!
Reply 14
Depends what part of london your going?
my parents are divorced n one lives in southwest london the other in north west london, both great places :smile: generally speaking the west side is sorta nicer, youll find alot of food to eat :smile: and shops :smile:
botchok5
Notting Hill area is amazing lol

:confused:
I'm currently living just off Fulham Road. It's a very white area, so live hereif you think your racism may become a problem
Reply 18
madima
it's good, especially if you live in the famous hotspots -- brixton, finsbury park, tower hamlets, croydon etc.
i heard you can get free stuff from white boys in skinny jeans.

LOL
Nah I love London it's facking awesome

Latest

Trending

Trending