Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    kk, i started a thread in H+R that got me thinking. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=982662

I live in an area which can be pretty damn racist (near Newcastle). So, yeah, i have horror stories of what i saw in just a week in Newcastle. Not to say that this represents the people of Newcastle btw, because they are very friendly.

A guy was walking out of a club and these women stop him and start mocking his 'ethiopian arms' and throw their kebabs at him.

An ethnic Middle eastern guy tries to dance with a woman on the dancefloor, she screams 'we only talk to English people'.

Group of girls in a pizza shop saying words like '*****'.

So i'm moving to London for uni, what is it like to live there as a student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Steve_Stifler)
    kk, i started a thread in H+R that got me thinking. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=982662

I live in an area which can be pretty damn racist (near Newcastle). So, yeah, i have horror stories of what i saw in just a week in Newcastle. Not to say that this represents the people of Newcastle btw, because they are very friendly.

A guy was walking out of a club and these women stop him and start mocking his 'ethiopian arms' and throw their kebabs at him.

An ethnic Middle eastern guy tries to dance with a woman on the dancefloor, she screams 'we only talk to English people'.

Group of girls in a pizza shop saying words like '*****'.

So i'm moving to London for uni, what is it like to live there as a student?
    You'll need a lot of kebabs to throw.

ReputationRep:
    Expensive but ******* awesome =]

ReputationRep:
    it's good, especially if you live in the famous hotspots -- brixton, finsbury park, tower hamlets, croydon etc.
    i heard you can get free stuff from white boys in skinny jeans.

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen any racism in Newcastle...

Unless you count the Mackems/smoggies as a race...

ReputationRep:
    Notting Hill area is amazing lol, housing is very expensive but believe it or not food is actually pretty cheap especially down Portobello Market.

ReputationRep:
    lulz anon fail

Anyway London is the best, nowhere like it in this country, couldn't live anywhere else

Expensive as hell though

ReputationRep:
    Central London is cool, greater london...not so much :erm:
    It has its fair share of dodgy areas, not to mention areas which only has specific ethnic groups so walking around a town where you're the only white kid surrounded by crowds of asians...well you get quite a lot of looks lets just say lol.
    If you go live around the London unis it should be fine, it's usually quite civilised and its more diverse :yep:

ReputationRep:
    learn your slang and your sorted BLAD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davy-Jones)
    Central London is cool, greater london...not so much :erm:
    It has its fair share of dodgy areas, not to mention areas which only has specific ethnic groups so walking around a town where you're the only white kid surrounded by crowds of asians...well you get quite a lot of looks lets just say lol.
    If you go live around the London unis it should be fine, it's usually quite civilised and its more diverse :yep:
    lol southall and Hounslow !!

ReputationRep:
    Depends what part of London your talking about...

ReputationRep:
    London.... :love:

ReputationRep:
    Ive moved from Alum Rock (Birmingham) to South West London, id say SW is a mixed cultural sociaty with alot of activaties (mostly free). So if I consider London better than Birmingham then it gotta be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    learn your slang and your sorted BLAD
    Innit! Braap Braaap!!!

ReputationRep:
    Depends what part of london your going?

ReputationRep:
    my parents are divorced n one lives in southwest london the other in north west london, both great places generally speaking the west side is sorta nicer, youll find alot of food to eat and shops

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by botchok5)
    Notting Hill area is amazing lol
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently living just off Fulham Road. It's a very white area, so live hereif you think your racism may become a problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madima)
    it's good, especially if you live in the famous hotspots -- brixton, finsbury park, tower hamlets, croydon etc.
    i heard you can get free stuff from white boys in skinny jeans.

LOL

ReputationRep:
    Nah I love London it's facking awesome

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.