Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to London for uni as well - I CAN'T WAIT. I love it there

ReputationRep:
    AVOID SE LONDON!!!!!!!! it's Negro gangsta land!!! racist there!!!

ReputationRep:
    Central is ite man. Stay street wise, you'll do just fine.

ReputationRep:
    Its the best place to be- very varied and cultured.
    You will love it there

p.s: Don't forget to buy an 'I love London' t-shirt lool

Subscribing because I'm moving to London in a few days. :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    it's a bit shit

ReputationRep:
    Your day will never go accordingly planned.

ReputationRep:
    The truth is stuff like that happens in any city.
    Especially if you live in certain area's.

And yet there are many area's which are just fine to live in where you aren't quite as likely to see stuff like that.

So seriously, don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    if you're in the centre then it's manageable. most almost all other places outside, and don't fool yourself, it is ******* horrid.

ReputationRep:
    Expensive but brilliant.

Shops
    Shows
    Amazing travel!

ReputationRep:
    Just watch Eastenders.

Eastenders = Truth.

You can taste the air

ReputationRep:
    Expensive, Busy and happening.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really student-y unless your in campus.

Pollution, delays on underground, buses everywhere, foreign tourists everywhere, chavs everywhere, beggars everywhere, drugs everywhere, crime in alot of places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karunesh)

Pollution, delays on underground, buses everywhere, foreign tourists everywhere, chavs everywhere, beggars everywhere, drugs everywhere, crime in alot of places.
    fairly accurate description

ReputationRep:
    Its nowhere near as racist as what you saw in Newcastle (if you did indeed see that in Newcastle or thereabouts).

London's amazingly busy (especially the central areas) and its bloody expensive so maybe it'd be best to live somewhere in the suburbs e.g. in Leicester Square a cinema ticket cost £13 but in Uxbridge/Park Royal/ Harrow wherever you can get it for around £7 to £9.
    You definitely have to check out a few of the central london spots like Green Park (gorgeous), Westminster, Leicester Square (which incidentally also houses the Prince Charles Cinema where you can watch things for like £4 and under but thats movies that've just come out a few weeks ago-the newer ones are around £8), Convent Garden and Camden in North London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    lol southall and Hounslow !!
    There are many white people in Hounslow. They aren't the majority but they are there. Southall however is a different story. It's mainly Indian with some Pakistanis there. The vast majority of the Indians and Pakistanis are Punjabis. However Somalis and Polish people have been moving to the area. I've also heard that Chinese are starting to move there.

The more the merrier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Steve_Stifler)
    kk, i started a thread in H+R that got me thinking. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=982662

I live in an area which can be pretty damn racist (near Newcastle). So, yeah, i have horror stories of what i saw in just a week in Newcastle. Not to say that this represents the people of Newcastle btw, because they are very friendly.

A guy was walking out of a club and these women stop him and start mocking his 'ethiopian arms' and throw their kebabs at him.

An ethnic Middle eastern guy tries to dance with a woman on the dancefloor, she screams 'we only talk to English people'.

Group of girls in a pizza shop saying words like '*****'.

So i'm moving to London for uni, what is it like to live there as a student?
    Think of rich people hiding in town houses from Somalian refugees, and you're pretty much there.

There are a lot of ethnic people/ foreigners, mostly dirt poor, living in council houses, barely speaking a word of English

Fortunately, there are parts of London where these people hardly ever go, and theres some good cultural happenings there.

Innit doe. Speak English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stettin)
    There are many white people in Hounslow. They aren't the majority but they are there. Southall however is a different story. It's mainly Indian with some Pakistanis there. The vast majority of the Indians and Pakistanis are Punjabis. However Somalis and Polish people have been moving to the area. I've also heard that Chinese are starting to move there.

The more the merrier.
    Why aren't you inviting British people to your countries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karunesh)

The foreign tourists are all right, its the foreigners that live here!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.