Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stettin)
    There are many white people in Hounslow. They aren't the majority but they are there. Southall however is a different story. It's mainly Indian with some Pakistanis there. The vast majority of the Indians and Pakistanis are Punjabis. However Somalis and Polish people have been moving to the area. I've also heard that Chinese are starting to move there.

The more the merrier.
    Yes however if you go to hounslow west it is predominately Asian .. with the majority of them Pakistanis ... Southall used to be predominately Sikh ... although now like what you said it is generally pakistanis and Indians .. Somalians started appearing about 4 - 5 years ago and have now full established themselves in the beginning of Southall Broadway as well as the Polish .. i do not think many Chinese people have moved to Southall however i know for a fact in Hounslow West Nepalese are becoming more predominant in the community ... i couldn't really give a toss since i live in the outskirts of Hounslow ... Osterley ... although i regularly go to hounslow west and Southall i have began to see the different races.. im cool with it until you have the odd somalian or Nepalese who think they can take you ... then i get pissed !!

ReputationRep:
    ive lived in london for nearly two years near peckham ,and its not too bad ,i really like it & have had only 2 near escapes

ReputationRep:
    I've lived here since I was born, and it's awesome. Expensive, but diverse, and you're never short of things to do.

It wasn't until I moved to Hampshire for Uni a couple of years back that I appreciated London a lot more, it's such a massive place, such a mixture of people in comparison to some places. You'll love it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoblue)
    Think of rich people hiding in town houses from Somalian refugees, and you're pretty much there.

There are a lot of ethnic people/ foreigners, mostly dirt poor, living in council houses, barely speaking a word of English

Fortunately, there are parts of London where these people hardly ever go, and theres some good cultural happenings there.

Innit doe. Speak English
    :laugh: love the description + very true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    Nah I love London it's facking awesome
    omg you swore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farhan)
    omg you swore
    omg you sound like my cousins :nopity: :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karunesh)
    It's not really student-y unless your in campus.

Pollution, delays on underground, buses everywhere, foreign tourists everywhere, chavs everywhere, beggars everywhere, drugs everywhere, crime in alot of places.
    I disagree. London actually has far fewer chavs than most other cities as a percentage of its population due to being very disproportionatley middle class, especially in central. I can spend a whole day in the West End and hardly see any chavs, which you can't really say about most other cities. The underground might have delays, but at least it actually has an undergopund system in the first place. And there aren't very many beggars either, and crime isn't really that high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingPrawn0356)
    I disagree. London actually has far fewer chavs than most other cities as a percentage of its population due to being very disproportionatley middle class, especially in central. I can spend a whole day in the West End and hardly see any chavs, which you can't really say about most other cities. The underground might have delays, but at least it actually has an undergopund system in the first place. And there aren't very many beggars either, and crime isn't really that high.
    Houses in central aren't middle-class. You need to earn a mint to live in some of those homes. Its very upper-class. The only other homes available close to central are council flats usually, so you get the very richest living near the poorest, who are usually ethnic minorities

ReputationRep:
    Houses in central aren't middle-class. You need to earn a mint to live in some of those homes. Its very upper-class. The only other homes available close to central are council flats usually, so you get the very richest living near the poorest, who are usually ethnic minorities
    Well I meant middle to upper class. The point I was making was that London isn't chav infested compared to other cities.

ReputationRep:
    OP where on earth in Newcastle were you? People here are generally fine with those from a foreign country, the west side of the city has a healthy community (though a little bit more criminilised ill admit (I cant spell :P )) and ive never seen that behaviour on a night out.

On the subject of London Id love to live there, visited a few times and still so much I want to see

ReputationRep:
    Very Very true. In some cases usually a street away or even on the same road. Its quite weird but after living here for my whole life its just one of those things.

London - Great City, Great Vibe, Nightlife good but very expensive in the central but places in the suburbs/ greater London not too bad. Some dodgy places, but if your streetwise you'll be fine. Learn the slang 'coz us landan mandem r emotional, neva slipping alwais goin ard, and our endz is da best no long. On da weeknd go shubz, chirpse cuple gash den hop on de nightbus back 2 da manor'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Footballfiend08)
    Very Very true. In some cases usually a street away or even on the same road. Its quite weird but after living here for my whole life its just one of those things.

London - Great City, Great Vibe, Nightlife good but very expensive in the central but places in the suburbs/ greater London not too bad. Some dodgy places, but if your streetwise you'll be fine. Learn the slang 'coz us landan mandem r emotional, neva slipping alwais goin ard, and our endz is da best no long. On da weeknd go shubz, chirpse cuple gash den hop on de nightbus back 2 da manor'
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    No
    No what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Steve_Stifler)
    kk, i started a thread in H+R that got me thinking. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=982662

I live in an area which can be pretty damn racist (near Newcastle). So, yeah, i have horror stories of what i saw in just a week in Newcastle. Not to say that this represents the people of Newcastle btw, because they are very friendly.

A guy was walking out of a club and these women stop him and start mocking his 'ethiopian arms' and throw their kebabs at him.

An ethnic Middle eastern guy tries to dance with a woman on the dancefloor, she screams 'we only talk to English people'.

Group of girls in a pizza shop saying words like '*****'.
    So i'm moving to London for uni, what is it like to live there as a student?
    Newcastle isnt really that bad we have a rather large chinese population. Id imagine london will be worse than up here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaza2345)
    LOL
    Agreed!!!! Croydon and Brixton being considered hotspots hahahahaah

ReputationRep:
    living in london is **** i lived here all my life and hated it, the only good place is central london and some areas in west end and in south west you have only kensington and chelsea, 95% of suburbs in london are full of gangs, there is **** all to do in this city dont believe what you see on the internet it is ****, its too expensive, the people are rude and dont want to talk to you, i live in east london and there is not one nice area 90% of it is council estates im lucky to live in the decent area on the outskirts, i cant wait to leave the UK it angers me to think that i still live here in this **** country all i see every day is these boring white transit vans black cabs red buses "wanabee badmans" chavs ****s from essex etc, this country is ****, dull, boring, i cant express how much i hate this country, the only good thing about london is the chip shop, the london underground is alright but too expensive trust me stay away from the UK its hell on earth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by London52)
    living in london is **** i lived here all my life and hated it, the only good place is central london and some areas in west end and in south west you have only kensington and chelsea, 95% of suburbs in london are full of gangs, there is **** all to do in this city dont believe what you see on the internet it is ****, its too expensive, the people are rude and dont want to talk to you, i live in east london and there is not one nice area 90% of it is council estates im lucky to live in the decent area on the outskirts, i cant wait to leave the UK it angers me to think that i still live here in this **** country all i see every day is these boring white transit vans black cabs red buses "wanabee badmans" chavs ****s from essex etc, this country is ****, dull, boring, i cant express how much i hate this country, the only good thing about london is the chip shop, the london underground is alright but too expensive trust me stay away from the UK its hell on earth
    Have you ever actually been outside of London?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.