Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Results Day - What will it mean if you don't meet your offer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If come results day you find that you have not met your firm offer to your desired university (or even worse both firm and insurance), what will it mean for you?
    Are there going to be any serious ramifications for you?
    I've seen many that are left devestated, seriously upset that take a really long time to get over. Will you be facing any disapointments from family/friends who had high expectations? If you were applying to your 'dream' university and don't get it, will you be seeing yourself as a failure? Would it even get to the stage where you'll choose or be forced to go for a different course and perhaps another career?
    I'm just curious to know what and how other students will feel in such circumstances.

Personally for me, if I don't meet my firm (which is the uni I've been dreaming to go to my whole academic life) then I'll just feel like my years of hard work have meant nothing. Why? Because meeting my insurance offer would not have required endless hours of working/studying.
    If I was to end up at my insurance uni after all, I could have probably achieved it just coasting all the way through A-levels not really working all that hard. I would not have had to sacrifice a social life (to an extent) and could have enjoyed myself more. It would have also meant that I would have not been under so much pressure, being nervous thinking about whether or not I'll do good enough.
    I guess one good thing would be that at least I would not have any regrets of not trying to get to my desired uni, it's better to lose out having done your best otherwise for ages you just start saying ''if only I had worked harder''.
    Your thoughts...

ReputationRep:
    I'd go home, and get straight on Clearing. Lol ><

Make a counter offer :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'd be absolutely devastated. I'd try and pull myself together and sort something out through Clearing. Then I'd end up drowning my sorrows most likely. I'd hate it because I would have disappointed my family and teachers. There's just so much pressure!

ReputationRep:
    I'd be devastated but i got my results through today and have exceeded the grades i needed to im so happy.

Biology and maths = Distinction
    English = Credit.

I needed 2 merits and 1 credit to get onto the biology degree!

ReputationRep:
    If I dont meet my offer for HNC I will beg the college to let me do HNC.

ReputationRep:
    It's almost certain, but I still don't want to entertain the possibility.

Urgh. I'll end up going to my insurance, Winchester, which is localish, and I'll half-falsely tell everyone that I'm doing so because I decided that my firm option was too expensive. Then I'll spend a long year winding down into a drunken spiral of despair. Yay life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davy-Jones)
    If come results day you find that you have not met your firm offer to your desired university (or even worse both firm and insurance), what will it mean for you?
    Are there going to be any serious ramifications for you?
    I've seen many that are left devestated, seriously upset that take a really long time to get over. Will you be facing any disapointments from family/friends who had high expectations? If you were applying to your 'dream' university and don't get it, will you be seeing yourself as a failure? Would it even get to the stage where you'll choose or be forced to go for a different course and perhaps another career?
    I'm just curious to know what and how other students will feel in such circumstances.

Personally for me, if I don't meet my firm (which is the uni I've been dreaming to go to my whole academic life) then I'll just feel like my years of hard work have meant nothing. Why? Because meeting my insurance offer would not have required endless hours of working/studying.
    If I was to end up at my insurance uni after all, I could have probably achieved it just coasting all the way through A-levels not really working all that hard. I would not have had to sacrifice a social life (to an extent) and could have enjoyed myself more. It would have also meant that I would have not been under so much pressure, being nervous thinking about whether or not I'll do good enough.
    I guess one good thing would be that at least I would not have any regrets of not trying to get to my desired uni, it's better to lose out having done your best otherwise for ages you just start saying ''if only I had worked harder''.
    Your thoughts...
    tbf I don't really mind. I've got an offer from Cambridge but I think people need to realise that academic achievement isn't everything. Although ofc I will beg for them to let me in anyway lolz

However, for me the worst case scenario is that I get AAB. So I go to Edinburgh, Exeter, St. Andrews, York sort of unis. I'll still have a great time and get a great job.

ReputationRep:
    I'll cry....................... and cry even more because I don't think my firm choice will have a clearing because of the high number of applicants for my course :'(

ReputationRep:
    devestated, shocked, and worried as wel as humiliated topped off with trauma. Also, it would mean ill have to split with my gf. Move away further possibly to a weaker uni, or have the prents and family ashamed.
    Gosh, i can feel my throat swelling up already.

ReputationRep:
    not devestated at all.. not even in the slightest.. if anything i'd be more disappointed with myself that i worked so hard and put in a huge amount of effort the past two years only not to have met my own conditions and expectations.. i'd be more upset at that then not meeting uni requirments..

for me i'd just apply straight for the police and work my way up the ranks as i am/had planned to do so after uni.. regardles of going to uni or not i'm joining the police.. uni was only to widen my career aspects and opportunities if at some point later in life i decided to leave the police and hopefully help me do a job related to subjects i find interesting..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    It's almost certain, but I still don't want to entertain the possibility.

Urgh. I'll end up going to my insurance, Winchester, which is localish, and I'll half-falsely tell everyone that I'm doing so because I decided that my firm option was too expensive. Then I'll spend a long year winding down into a drunken spiral of despair. Yay life.
    Winchester school of art?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind going to my insurance to be honest. I loved it until I went to my firm choice for a visit so in that respect i'd be gutted of course not getting into my firm(even though I know I AM GOING TO MY INSURANCE because maths epically failed me) but not to worried :yep:. If I don't get into either...that is seriously another matter...someone will be in for a murdering!!!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Well I'll be upset but not devastated; I can always reapply next year. I'll be disappointed with myself though! I'm quite capable of making the grades.

ReputationRep:
    Well....I'm not sure how i would react but i am fairly certain i will fall short by a small amount...i need 300 points, but i think i will achieve 270ish. Aslong as i get that i should be ok, Kent is a lenient Uni and i am a local lad. However if i don't get in i will probably declare myself bankrupt and emigrate across the pond.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmeem)
    I'd go home, and get straight on Clearing. Lol ><
    i dont even know what you do with clearing, i just know i'm going into it. i think i'd have a panic attack and start eating loads of ice cream.

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably have a nervous breakdown :p:
    No seriously, if I didn't get in my insurance either i'd go into clearing. I don't think my parents would be devastated cos they've never pushed me into going uni, it was my own decision all along. I think they'd be upset for me really because they know how much i've wanted this and, being the first in my family to go uni, I think grandparents etc may be too but definitely not disappointed or devastated as some parents would be. If nothing went through clearing then i'd have to take a year off, definitely don't wanna resit anymore exams. I'd find a job and do some work experience in the field of journalism but in the meantime i'd also apply to universities with lower requirements and do a degree in journalism instead

ReputationRep:
    yeh, tbh insurance wud be better for me, but i found myself in a real dilemma. As my firm choice probably a more regarded uni and good course ( sheffield university/ management school ) , is somewhere which i didnt actually, in contemplation, feeel as good about as my insurance place, ( leicester uni ), which was mainly good for the social aspect and people, but course wise probably slightly weaker, and in terms of my love life, far away from my gf ( 2 hrs in the car ), moving that far awar from her and my family would be a big, big challenge..
    so. Its a very strange scneario, id be happy going to my firm as its proximaty is good, unis good, place is good, and general quite good. But leicester was the unqiue places that i wanted to go to since start of yr 12, but course wise and proximaty wise not as good. But socailly would have been a dream.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be disappointed but I would go into clearing and if that didn't work out I'd reapply next year and work really hard to boost my grades in the January resits. Also I'd try to save a lot of money for the 2010 entry.

ReputationRep:
    If I miss my firm, I don't really care. I'm doing medicine, hence it doesn't really make any difference going to either. Plus they're both very nice :yep:

If I miss both, I'll probably cry. Because it's medicine, even if I resit it's going to be very hard to get into uni. I suppose I'll resit and try to get in as reapplicant, but also apply for a 5th choice as a backup (so if I don't get into medicine, I'll try and get in graduate entry).

At the moment I've already got an A in Maths A level so that's for certain, and I need to get an A in either Biology or Chemistry (and the other out of biology and chemistry a B for my insurance).That would be for my insurance. Firm would be AAA (maths, biology, chemistry).
    I think I get get a B in chemistry at least (I think I need just under 60% i.e. a low D in the A level exams providing I didn't do any better on retakes). It's going to be hard for me to get an A in chemistry, I'm pretty sure about that (unless my retakes improve by quite a bit).

Biology I'm a bit worried about. I need 74% in the last module unit 8. I know I've scored higher than that in each biology unit so far, but still unit 8 is unpredictable. Hopefully if I have done a bit better in some of my retakes (I did 3 retakes). If I managed to get 20 marks in retakes (which I'm hoping for as a realistic figure), I'll need just under 60% for an A.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.