Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Results Day - What will it mean if you don't meet your offer? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I will be gutted. And i have no insurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skiing)
    hi, im thinking of joining the police as well after uni. i would recomment that u still go to uni regardless of your grades (if you don't get into your firm, just go somewhere else) because i think its well worth it if you have a degree when joining the police!
    yeah i know you can go on the fast track course when at hendon if you've got a degree.. they're probably more likely to take you on as you've had a bit more 'life experience' that they're always after !

i use to be a police cadet and so gave me a little bit of an in sight to it all and the various department within.. riot control is amazing ! i've been where they train for that and saw some officers doing a course there.. wow.. scary.. but brilliant ! :yes:

i'd rather be with the dog unit though.. :p:

is there a particular area your interested in going into/working ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davy-Jones)
    If come results day you find that you have not met your firm offer to your desired university (or even worse both firm and insurance), what will it mean for you?
    Are there going to be any serious ramifications for you?
    I've seen many that are left devestated, seriously upset that take a really long time to get over. Will you be facing any disapointments from family/friends who had high expectations? If you were applying to your 'dream' university and don't get it, will you be seeing yourself as a failure? Would it even get to the stage where you'll choose or be forced to go for a different course and perhaps another career?
    I'm just curious to know what and how other students will feel in such circumstances.

Personally for me, if I don't meet my firm (which is the uni I've been dreaming to go to my whole academic life) then I'll just feel like my years of hard work have meant nothing. Why? Because meeting my insurance offer would not have required endless hours of working/studying.
    If I was to end up at my insurance uni after all, I could have probably achieved it just coasting all the way through A-levels not really working all that hard. I would not have had to sacrifice a social life (to an extent) and could have enjoyed myself more. It would have also meant that I would have not been under so much pressure, being nervous thinking about whether or not I'll do good enough.
    I guess one good thing would be that at least I would not have any regrets of not trying to get to my desired uni, it's better to lose out having done your best otherwise for ages you just start saying ''if only I had worked harder''.
    Your thoughts...
    I completly agree, after all that work, If I don't get into my first choice I might aswell have not bothered studying at all. Ironically, I did badly on a maths module last year, getting and E, I was devastated as I had a tutor. My dad dares to say "well think how much worse you would have done without the tutor"

ReputationRep:
    Salve fellow A-levelers!

I would be completely devastated to miss my offer initially, however because I am only 17 I could always take a gap year (or two!). I am a little worried but as they say 'talis est vita!'

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.