Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for some advice for my brother. He's 22 and after seemingly trying every possible post-16 route, including a levels at sixth form, vocational courses at a local college, a home study computer course and loads of jobs, he's decided he wants to go to university to study Psychology and Criminology. The problem is, the only qualifications he has are 8 GCSEs. Does anyone have any idea where he would need to start? Should he try to resit A levels? Or does anyone know if a foundation course would accept him? I'm trying to help him out as I think he's getting down after trying many things and not really getting anywhere.

Please don't just comment back saying that he won't stick at this either, I'm just trying to help him, and can't knock him down when he's already feeling low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whoopsadaisy)
    I'm looking for some advice for my brother. He's 22 and after seemingly trying every possible post-16 route, including a levels at sixth form, vocational courses at a local college, a home study computer course and loads of jobs, he's decided he wants to go to university to study Psychology and Criminology. The problem is, the only qualifications he has are 8 GCSEs. Does anyone have any idea where he would need to start? Should he try to resit A levels? Or does anyone know if a foundation course would accept him? I'm trying to help him out as I think he's getting down after trying many things and not really getting anywhere.

Please don't just comment back saying that he won't stick at this either, I'm just trying to help him, and can't knock him down when he's already feeling low.
    He can choose to do:
    Alevels
    Btecs

Then he can do foundation courses such as http://www.bridgwater.ac.uk/sec4.php?sec4ID=334&secID=2

Im afraid that foundations are a step too far right now but there are access courses where he needs to talk to the colleges to see if he can enter (they dont look for qualifications); http://www.bridgwater.ac.uk/sec4.php?sec4ID=483&secID=2

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you could suggest to him that he looks at access courses. They are aimed at older people who do not necessarily possess A levels and want to go to university. If your brother takes it full time, he will have completed it in a year. It might be a bit late to apply now as many courses are taken but I would suggest that your brother phones admission tutors to see if they would take him, but I would advise him to apply for 2010. If he wants to do the degree course that much, he will stick it out till then, plus an access course is a brilliant way to prepare him for university as he will have to complete coursework, just like he would at A level, which will test his research skills.

I would also suggest that he asks admission tutors which access courses that they will accept also, as he doesn't want to waste a year completing the course only to find it wasn't relevant to the degree requirements. I hope that this helps! pm me if you have any further questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ducky87)
    Perhaps you could suggest to him that he looks at access courses. They are aimed at older people who do not necessarily possess A levels and want to go to university. If your brother takes it full time, he will have completed it in a year. It might be a bit late to apply now as many courses are taken but I would suggest that your brother phones admission tutors to see if they would take him, but I would advise him to apply for 2010. If he wants to do the degree course that much, he will stick it out till then, plus an access course is a brilliant way to prepare him for university as he will have to complete coursework, just like he would at A level, which will test his research skills.

I would also suggest that he asks admission tutors which access courses that they will accept also, as he doesn't want to waste a year completing the course only to find it wasn't relevant to the degree requirements. I hope that this helps! pm me if you have any further questions.
    :beer: beat ya!

ReputationRep:
    I did an access course at college. They take 1 year and are for mature students (over 19) who dont have A-levels and it gains then access to uni.

Get in touch with his local college to find out if they do them. I did Maths, english and human biology and have just getten results today. Starting uni in sept doing biology.

ReputationRep:

He could consider the Open University. They won't require any access courses or A levels, so he could get started right away.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest that your brother looks at taking an access course. If he phones the universities and speaks to the admissions, just to check that the course meets the entry requirements, it is a one year course which involves approx 20 hours in college plus coursework.

The access course is directed at older people who do not necessarily have A level grades, however they are a great way to prepare for university as it allows the student to be independent in their studies, as they have to do their own research outside the classroom so to speak.

I hope this helps! Pm me if you have any further questions and all the best to your bro!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    He could consider the Open University. They won't require any access courses or A levels, so he could get started right away.
    They do require a certain standard for University level courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    They do require a certain standard for University level courses.
    My mother works as a manager at the OU and my brother is a current student, so I'm comfortable recommending them for this. They require virtually no qualifications if you want to do a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    My mother works as a manager at the OU and my brother is a current student, so I'm comfortable recommending them for this. They require virtually no qualifications if you want to do a degree.
    Virtually is not the same as none, what they require is you to do some of their own short courses (at a fee) to qualify for the degrees (at a fee)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Virtually is not the same as none, what they require is you to do some of their own short courses (at a fee) to qualify for the degrees (at a fee)
    No you don't. You go straight into the degree.

ReputationRep:

As other people have said,get him on an access course and it will sort

him out,ready for university study.It would be a good idea to get in

touch with your local FE colleges as soon as possible.He should be fine

since he already has 8 gcse's as some people enrol without even a

single qualification and despite that some do really well.

All the best.

ReputationRep:

Access courses are for over 19 year olds, only last a year, and you can take Access to Psychology at college too. Only, thing is, he has to be serious about it, because it costs about £1000 for the day course...

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to call the unis he's interested in and ask them what they would require. They'll know a lot more than we do and will be able to point him in exactly the right direction tleling him exactly what they would expect from an applicant.

Also, my friend dropped out of a two year post-16 course resulting in no qualifications beyond gcse and she just rang up the uni she was interested in. They invited down for an interview and then offered her a place on a foundation art degree there and then. Although it's probably quite different for art, you still never know. There's also someone on TSR starting a modern languages degree in September with I think a National Diploma course in IT and languages only up until gcse. So there seem to be many ways to university beyond the traditional.

Best of luck to him Hope it all work out

ReputationRep:

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...43&button1.y=7

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...38&button1.y=3
    ]

Search through these lists....most of them say they require ucas points but as he's a mature student then there are different circumstances. He should find a course he's interested in and email the course director explaining his circumstances and his passion for the subject area and basically ask if he would be accepted.

My boyfriend has just got into university this way - without A levels and by doing an foundation year first...he's 24

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    Access courses are for over 19 year olds, only last a year, and you can take Access to Psychology at college too. Only, thing is, he has to be serious about it, because it costs about £1000 for the day course...
    The college i went to, you did English, maths and human biology. If you did all three courses together in the same year, they were free. If you spread them out and did say 1 the first year and 2 the second, it cost about £300 each. So i'd ask at your college but if its the same as mine and as long as he does all three courses the same year, it will be free.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.