Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Channel 4: How the other half live? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone watching this? I guess it just shows what an ignorant nation we are or rather how we deny that poverty is more prevalent than it actually is. Discuss

ReputationRep:
    Are we meant to be discussing the show or the more general issue of poverty in the UK? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been watching it but I do think its good that there is something on showing that there is a lot of poverty in the UK not just 3rd world countries. I tend to only give to UK based charities. I have it on Sky+ though so I may watch it later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomjones)
    Is anyone watching this? I guess it just shows what an ignorant nation we are or rather how we deny that poverty is more prevalent than it actually is. Discuss
    Poverty isn't just the new trend. It's popular internationally. Everyones doing it and it's as chic as cake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Are we meant to be discussing the show or the more general issue of poverty in the UK? :confused:
    both I'm guessing...

what does the father of the brotherstone's work as?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    both I'm guessing...

what does the father of the brotherstone's work as?

director of a top recruiting agency

ReputationRep:
    So typical!
    I hate the way the poor family were so stereotyped. It seemed more like a here and now patch up of financial problems rather than working towards long term development. I am sorry to say, but from the moment the woman opened the check, she began milking it in more ways than one. What this does, is allow the family in poverty to be seen as victims/hard doneby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    I do think its good that there is something on showing that there is a lot of poverty in the UK not just 3rd world countries.
    How can you compare them?!? One's relative, the other absolute. There's no absolute povetry in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dolly123)
    It seemed more like a here and now patch up of financial problems rather than working towards long term development.
    Yolanda's mother was getting a qualification that would help her work from home, so that she could look after her children and earn money. How is that not long-term development.

I am sorry to say, but from the moment the woman opened the check, she began milking it in more ways than one.
    How so?

What this does, is allow the family in poverty to be seen as victims/hard doneby.
    Well, they are — at least to an extent.

ReputationRep:
    I liked this it brought tears[involuntarily] to my eyes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PGtips92)
    How can you compare them?!? One's relative, the other absolute. There's no absolute povetry in the UK.
    I don't compare them. Its just a personal preference that I prefer to give to charities that work in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    I don't compare them. Its just a personal preference that I prefer to give to charities that work in the UK.
    That's fair enough, but every pound you give to a charity that helps the poor in the UK is a pound that could have been used to help the far poorer in Africa... ah well, its your money :p:

Just don't give to more than 1 charity!! Lansburg

ReputationRep:
    I'm so mad at myself. I missed it. :mad2:

ReputationRep:
    What a horrendous TV show, and I've only seen the trailer.
    Can people please remember that the show is there to maximise ratings, not to raise 'awareness'.
    Wealthy **** + poor people = emotions, fights, empathy and GUILT.

People don't really care that others have terrible lives, otherwise we wouldn't spend money on frivolous items when every one of us knows that the money could stop a person dying. All we need to do is donate £5.50 to Oxfam every month and our conscience is cured.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I wanted to see this. It's an issue that's close to my heart. People don't know the **** people have to go through everyday - the depravity of it all. It's why ignorant statements from people wrapped in their own little world frustrate me so much.

ReputationRep:
    yes there is otherwise you wouldn't have beggars on the street.

ReputationRep:
    It was so sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    yes there is otherwise you wouldn't have beggars on the street.
    One can earn a living if they wished / claim benefits / seek help at a hostel. They have rights, and shelter, and food, and water.

The other has nothing.

WIKI: Absolute poverty is the absence of enough resources (such as money) to secure basic life necessities.

Did the beggar attend school?

ReputationRep:
    The show kind of p*ssed me off in that the gifts the richer family gave seemed to be only to alleviate their own feelings of guilt rather than being motivated by a genuine desire to help. It was a bit like, "oh we've seen how little this family has in comparison to us, so if we buy them a laptop then their lives will be so much better so we no longer have to feel guilty". In reality it was kind of lording their wealth over the poorer family yet again because they can afford to just give away stuff like that. If they genuinely wanted to help I think they went about it the wrong way, although their gifts were nice gestures.

It left a bit of a funny taste in my mouth, although it did raise some very valid points in that there is a huge class divide in this country, and however much people argue that class is fluid, it really isn't.

ReputationRep:
    One can earn a living if they wished / claim benefits / seek help at a hostel. They have rights, and shelter, and food, and water.

The other has nothing.

WIKI: Absolute poverty is the absence of enough resources (such as money) to secure basic life necessities.

Did the beggar attend school?
    Who knows they may have attended school...

I think absolute poverty is defined by the UN as not have at least $1 a day to survive on or something like that. Absolute poverty has nothing to do with rights. It's defined as not having the resources to be able to consume basic necessities. Hostels etc are services which are provided for free by the govt. Beggars are hardly given any aid in monetary terms. Aid (food) is given in "third world countries" but yet people still live in absolute poverty, so to say the fact that beggars have a wider range of services available, therefore meaning they can't be in absolute poverty is ridiculous + you can't say they're in relative poverty either.

It's too hard to explain to you on TSR

and i hope you now that you can go from affluence to absolute poverty.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.