Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Channel 4: How the other half live? Watch

ReputationRep:
    i agree last weeks family was more grateful but this time we're dealing with boys and a-- it seems -crazy mother:p: So i guess looking at in that angle; boys dont really show their emotions equally well as girls in these kinds of situations..I think

anyway I felt a bit sick watching this weeks show don't know why...maybe it's my sleeping pattern. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    I didn't watch last weeks but my mum said how grateful they were compared to these ones, I didn't think they looked particulary grateful though to be honest.

They didn't even get him a bed in the end, what a joke it was left to the other family to suggest making him his own bedroom. £4000 and what did they spend it on? They could have made that money strech much further me thinks.

Ahh I'd love to have to the money to do that, change someones life, would be amazing. Sadly, I don't!
    Last weeks family were genuinely really nice and both appreciated and thanked the family so much for sponsoring them, and the mother didn't spend the money on crap they didn't need but planned for their future.

And yeah, I'd love to have the money to help others too. Maybe one day we will eh, lol. Was surprised all their money is from the plumbing industry but saying that they probably own a lot of companies and go back far since his grandad has a bentley. Their pool was nice. =P

ReputationRep:
    that mum was just........ dad was alright but the mum...

ReputationRep:
    That lady was something else, the money she could have used to buy her kid a bed, she used as a laptop...and his game didn't work?! I'm sorry, a facial cream business? With her face? Joke.

They really were hinting as well. I guess it is great for them, but its a shame the mother wasn't as humble. Oh and one more thing...the poor kid didn't even know who his dad was. Enough said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreamer*)
    That lady was something else, the money she could have used to buy her kid a bed, she used as a laptop...and his game didn't work?! I'm sorry, a facial cream business? With her face? Joke.

They really were hinting as well. I guess it is great for them, but its a shame the mother wasn't as humble. Oh and one more thing...the poor kid didn't even know who his dad was. Enough said.
    You could bet your left arm that those creams will NOT work. :yes:
    I know... hint hint hint left right and centre it's why I hated this weeks episode so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palladio)
    Last weeks family were genuinely really nice and both appreciated and thanked the family so much for sponsoring them, and the mother didn't spend the money on crap they didn't need but planned for their future.

And yeah, I'd love to have the money to help others too. Maybe one day we will eh, lol. Was surprised all their money is from the plumbing industry but saying that they probably own a lot of companies and go back far since his grandad has a bentley. Their pool was nice. =P
    Ahh I know, as was the villa, as was the house etc etc :yes:

I might look into how to start a charity :o: Just for laughs.

I was suprised about the plumbing thing too! But I guess, like you said it looks after a lot of companies across an area.

ReputationRep:
    They really were hinting as well. I guess it is great for them, but its a shame the mother wasn't humble.
    corrected :p: she just wasn't humble at all 100% Fair enough if she wanted to start a business, nothing wrong with ambition but she had a desktop and if that desktop was not enough, she could have bought a new desktop for 150 (as they had a monitor) which would have done the job. Why blow 500 on something you don't need?

And when the holiday was announced at the end there wasn't a thank you from her, only from the dad. Her response was yay -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    corrected :p: she just wasn't humble at all 100% Fair enough if she wanted to start a business, nothing wrong with ambition but she had a desktop and if that desktop was not enough, she could have bought a new desktop for 150 (as they had a monitor) which would have done the job. Why blow 500 on something you don't need?
    And something which wasn't mentioned on this thread is all the extras - 'oh and the norton anti-virus' and at the checkout 'oooh a webcam'. Ergh, to be honest, they could've made the money go a long way. And I got the idea they were playing up for example I doubt they use disposable plates and cups all year round because surely some cheap cutlery and plates from the 99p store are cheaper and reusable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    corrected she just wasn't humble at all 100% Fair enough if she wanted to start a business, nothing wrong with ambition but she had a desktop and if that desktop was not enough, she could have bought a new desktop for 150 (as they had a monitor) which would have done the job. Why blow 500 on something you don't need?

And when the holiday was announced at the end there wasn't a thank you from her, only from the dad. Her response was yay -.-
    It definitely seemed more of a wanting a laptop so looking for reasons to get a laptop than looking for a way of starting a business.

Ahh I caught half of the family last week (brought a tear to my eye, really nice genuine grateful family who appreciated the help from the other family). This week, again it did make me sad, but when I saw the mother buy a laptop and her son needed new shoes, that just took the biscuit! The kids got bugger all from the first installment (oh a game that didn't work and the lil boy got a lil car).

I wish I had the money to also help families in need, but I'd be abit weiry that my money would be spent on things which aren't necessary, ie laptops! :rolleyes:

(Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    Ahh I know, as was the villa, as was the house etc etc :yes:

I might look into how to start a charity :o: Just for laughs.

I was suprised about the plumbing thing too! But I guess, like you said it looks after a lot of companies across an area.
    Yea I was surprised to hear how his fortunes were made . .didn't think it would be anything like it tbh. (Although my parents did say when they saw how young the family were - it must be a long time family run business - my dad is in the building industry - and they were right!) .

PS: The villa was lush especially the pool - URGH i wanted to jump into it myself, only to realise I would be jumping (head-butting) my tv:o: :p: lol.

ReputationRep:
    It was surreal. I wasn't sure how to feel or what to think.

The comparisons I drew left me feeling very strange. I never considered myself a case for charity, but I couldn't help thinking 'that is just me 10 years ago'.

... Did it really make you cry?

ReputationRep:

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Homemade creams too! Even more reason not to trust it. Greedy cow, splashing out on a laptop.

Anyways, that aside, the kids were all really lovely. And I thought the poor (sorry, can't remember his name) dad was good looking. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    what did people think this week? this weeks family seemed alright

ReputationRep:
    Yeah both families seemed like a good bunch of people
    It's really good that he offered them a job and a place to live, i hope they do get out of there for good and work their way up, and that the little boy becomes the next alan sugar!
    The rich families home was immense though...unecessarily so, and that they "had to" extend it too?! jeeees...they should use the land for something, they had massive fields, could've built a caravan park on that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by km31)
    Yeah both families seemed like a good bunch of people
    It's really good that he offered them a job and a place to live, i hope they do get out of there for good and work their way up, and that the little boy becomes the next alan sugar!
    yea. What made me shiver was when he said he sometimes saved the bath water for his sister :afraid: wouldn't have been as bad had they been younger/brothers

I saw this on C4 on demand. Really quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit I'm a complete sucker for shows like this- I love The Secret Millionnaire too. But to be honest I purposefully missed the first episode (I wish I didn't now since everyone was saying how nice the family was!) because I thought it was going to be exploitive of the poorer families and I'm overly sensitive to things like that. However, I watched the last two, and that little boy Brandon made me well up even though his mum acted so selfishly. And last weeks family brought tears to my eyes (everything brings tears to my eyes) because they were so determined to put their money towards getting a better future outside of London. It's funny, I never considered my family as being "below the poverty line" but I guess we are, seeing as I can relate to almost everything in these shows and grew up in nearly identical conditions. We just get on with it. Anyone want to sponsor me? I can write really sad letters, too. :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dijobla)
    I have to admit I'm a complete sucker for shows like this- I love The Secret Millionnaire too. But to be honest I purposefully missed the first episode (I wish I didn't now since everyone was saying how nice the family was!) because I thought it was going to be exploitive of the poorer families and I'm overly sensitive to things like that. However, I watched the last two, and that little boy Brandon made me well up even though his mum acted so selfishly. And last weeks family brought tears to my eyes (everything brings tears to my eyes) because they were so determined to put their money towards getting a better future outside of London. It's funny, I never considered my family as being "below the poverty line" but I guess we are, seeing as I can relate to almost everything in these shows and grew up in nearly identical conditions. We just get on with it. Anyone want to sponsor me? I can write really sad letters, too. :puppyeyes:
    Of the three epidsodes, I still think the first is the best in terms of the families. You should watch it on Sky+ or 4OD or what not!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.