Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically i have a confirmed place at nottingham trent on sport + exercise course as i went college so already have results. Im in limbo as to whether go to uni this year or defer for the year. At the moment i feel as if im forcing myself to want to go and that im just doing it because there's nothing else to do, however i also find myself yo-yoing between going and not going lol anyone else in similar position?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjroyle1)
    Basically i have a confirmed place at nottingham trent on sport + exercise course as i went college so already have results. Im in limbo as to whether go to uni this year or defer for the year. At the moment i feel as if im forcing myself to want to go and that im just doing it because there's nothing else to do, however i also find myself yo-yoing between going and not going lol anyone else in similar position?
    Do you know what you'll do in your gap year? If not, it's a little risky.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. was just thinking of finding a job and getting a bit of money, i know i want to go just not sure about going this year also want time away from studying, ahh i dont know lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm sort of in the same position. My dad has thrown uni down my throat despite me not realy wanting to go. I'm worried that I wont be able to cope with the stress but I asked for advice with various people for a start connexions and they told me I should make my own decisions not my parents expectations, furthermore I asked my form tutor and he said if it's just nerves then you should just do it now otherwise you'll never go but if it isn't anxiety and you just want to live a life without exams and memorizing pointless dates and information for a year then it can be beneficial to take a gap year because it will make you more motivated. My sister took a gap year and it definitely made her more confident, mind you this was before the recession and so jobs will be tough to find.

I fall into both categorys, I am terrified at the prospect of going to uni but I really want to express my independance to improve my confidence and so I chose not to.

ReputationRep:
    same here! I know if i take a year out, next year i'll be looking foward to it, it's just the thought of long essays and presentation for another 3 years straight away doesn't seem so appealing. But your point about recession is also true, hard decision!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.