Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As part of our colts team building scheme for rugby we have all been entered into our towns 10k charity run. Anyone who loses to our coach gets dunked in the sea at the party afterwards all good fun. Not that I dont mind the dunking I just wanna do my best in the run and it is a week on Sunday.

Does anyone have any tips or anything I can do for a rough terrain/road race. I am a 15 and half stone 6ft 4 forward if that makes any difference. I could do to streamline a bit but seeing as though we were all told yesterday I don't expect much.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Fitness wise, there is nothing you can do in a week. You sound big enough to shoulder barge your coach if he comes past you. Start at the front and don't let anyone through!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironmike)
    Fitness wise, there is nothing you can do in a week. You sound big enough to shoulder barge your coach if he comes past you. Start at the front and don't let anyone through!
    Sounds like a plan

ReputationRep:
    very true too late now. 10k race, most people start too fast and die. remember the story of the turtle and the hare. start slow and never slow down. it is better to take it easy at the start (quite hard to not sprint start and die in your first race but fight the urge and you'll get a better time!). start pushing at the 5k mark and go for it only when you are nearly at the end 8-9k (it's much better to do this than at the beginning). always the turtle wins the long distance race - slow, consistent and persistent. good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a big lad. Good luck is all I'll say. I wouldn't like to be long distance running at your height and weight. Make sure to fuel up well.

ReputationRep:
    Have porridge the morning of. Get a bit of interval speedwork done this week. Take glucose pouches before or poss one during if you are not used to middle distance running. Other than that: pace yourself, only sprint towards the end, if you have it in you, OR like in some races where a bridge etc will be there will be a mass of people blocking your route, hah! With your height you should "eat up more ground", but you will not have the legspeed of someone who is 5"8.

ReputationRep:
    Porridge is ****ing vile.

Best thing for him to do would not to do that much this week but if he were to do something, perhaps go to 8kms at most, this week, in one session and not killing himself, pace-wise, in the process.

Running with that height and weight, sounds rather hellish tbh. I've noticed how much more difficult it is now that I'm 11.5st compared to what I was at xmas 2008, 10st.

ReputationRep:
    Take it slow. The first race I ever did was a 10k (I had never run before) and I managed to get around in just over an hour. I have tiny legs (I am 5' 0") and don't do much exercise, so you will easily get around in well under my time. Under 45mins is really respectable.
    As for preparation, get a good night's sleep, eat well in the morning (but not too close to the start of the race) and drink loads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Porridge is ****ing vile.

Best thing for him to do would not to do that much this week but if he were to do something, perhaps go to 8kms at most, this week, in one session and not killing himself, pace-wise, in the process.

Running with that height and weight, sounds rather hellish tbh. I've noticed how much more difficult it is now that I'm 11.5st compared to what I was at xmas 2008, 10st.
    Porride IS vile, but tis slow-release and the best thing to have on the day of a run, esp a mid-distance and above.

Agree with not doing too much this week, but I think 1 interval speed-session is needed. The interval training would not kill him any more than doing the 8km would, due to the recovery periods after the HIIT. He deffo, ideally, needs to rest at least the day before if not 2 days before.

It is hellish running at that height and weight. Sprinters are normall big blokes/women, and the longer the distance the leaner the build normally. But his height should help him due to his stride length and obv as you say weight will hinder in a way, even if is all muscle, but as it is only 10k this should not be too bad.

ReputationRep:
    fail to prepare, prepare to fail - that's my motto.

ReputationRep:
    if you don't like the taste of porridge, try it with custard and tinned peaches.

custard and peaches ftw!

ReputationRep:
    wear really tight leather hotpants, and shave your body hair.
    instead of shoes, glue the soles of flip flops onto your feet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    if you don't like the taste of porridge, try it with custard and tinned peaches.

custard and peaches ftw!
    and what if you don't like custard either?

Yeah, I'm a fussy little ***** :cool:

ReputationRep:
    and what if you don't like custard either?

Yeah, I'm a fussy little ***** :cool:
    then cut off your tongue you inbred swine.

who in their right mind does not like custard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    then cut off your tongue you inbred swine.

who in their right mind does not like custard.
    an inbred swine who ***ked your mother btw.

Custard is more foul than porridge.

ReputationRep:
    run along side your coach for the entire race then do him in a sprint finish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    laxatives into coach's energy drink. Problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    Custard is more foul than porridge.
    This man speaks lies! :eek:

If you're crazy enough to not like porridge, try a bagel with banana and either honey or Nutella.

Also, don't go out too fast - that's the rookie mistake. You'll see plenty of lads bent over with a stitch after 4-5km because they went out way too quickly. Make sure you have good running shoes too, because at that weight you'll need some cushioning against the pounding.

Also, Deep Heat for your coach's shorts. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    Seeing as though he is a frequent runner like every day I doubt any of us will beat him. I will take it slow and try to be light on my feet as I get tight calves really quickly on the road.

I love Porridge and will eat this but shame I will be going out on the night as it is the last day of the town's festivities.

And it isnt my fault I havent prepared we were all told last Wed.

I am so not built for running long distances. I have the power but not the stamina. I will try and stride out as much as possible.

Ill let you all know how I get on.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.