Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My ex-ex, as in not the last gf, but one before, and I are quite good mates, we dated about 2 years ago and since then have both had serious relationships, which have ended. T'other day I leant that she had a new bf whos quite a bit older, and a little bit of me sank a bit. She never stays single for long so im not suprised, but maybe it brought up some feelings from when I learnt she had a new bf after me? Dont get me wrong, im happy for her and dont want to go back out with her or anything silly, and I was happy for her with her last squeeze, but was just wondering do you ever really get over an ex. Anyone else feel the same or am I being silly?

ReputationRep:
    I think you can get over them, but deep down you always still have some feelings for them

ReputationRep:
    i cheated on mine, she dumped my ass but im not over her

ReputationRep:
    The only reason I'm completely over all of my exes, is that I found a guy that I love. Before I met him I struggled deeply with jealousy, desire and regret concerning my exes, but that's all melted away now and I feel much more well disposed to all of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bludclotzz)
    i cheated on mine, she dumped my ass but im not over her
    If your still not over her, you must have still really like her, so why did you cheat on her? (not judging, just curious)

ReputationRep:
    Some people can get other their previous partner whilst others can't. Some may want to remain friends with them. If you want to 'get over' her, distract yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I think that you will always miss them when you are in a bad patch! There are a few that you think "er, no" even when you're sad but there are always 2 or 3 that you think...well...if I had not stopped going out with them I wouldn't be feeling like THIS now. But you probably would.

ReputationRep:
    i never completely get over them

but when i'm going out with someone, it pretty much fades into nothing, and is then re-awoken whenever i'm single

ReputationRep:
    There's only 1 girl I can say that I actually miss. She was so god damn depressing sometimes though.

ReputationRep:
    if your emotions are genuine i guess you always feel something for them. Cant stand my ex just shows that it was a hollow relationship and you can get over some of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondyx)
    If your still not over her, you must have still really like her, so why did you cheat on her? (not judging, just curious)
    ask myself the same thing, it's one of those spontaneous things and you don't really think about consequences

ReputationRep:
    You'll always harbor some feelings for those ex's you do care about, but it's the same with friends. You'd get the same feeling if your best friend moved to another country or something, it's all about connection with that person and you miss having them around

Sure, you'll gradually adjust and get over them, but some part of you will always care

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with a lot of these posts, you can completely get over an ex. Two guys who I thought I loved so much I might die for months and months I now feel absolutely nothing for. It does take a while and until then you will have pangs- I did about a year after I thought I was over them- but now I feel nada.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's pretty easy to get over them. Just be happy you had them in your life at one point and move on, don't live in the past.

ReputationRep:
    Once you meet a girl who you fall in love with, everything (especially past ex's) go out the window, well that's at least what happens with me..

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, you get over them.

I'm over mine, as far as I know. We just meet and talk as friends now.

Its the people you never got to be with that are the complete pains in t'arse.

ReputationRep:
    I'm having trouble getting over my ex of 2 years
    It was the longest and most serious relationship I've ever had and the closest I've ever been to another person.
    And he's signing up for the army just when they're taking more casualties than ever before, it's horrible.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you get over them, if you're promiscuous enough you may even forget them, I think it's easier for the person who does the act of "breaking up" to move on however.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes. Every now and then I see things which remind me of the bad parts about them which inevtibly leads to the good parts. The cycle is on repeat constantly.

ReputationRep:
    I got over them completely once I fell in love with my current boyfriend. If he left me though, I don't know if i'd be able to get over it...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.