Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To cut a long story short, I met a guy online, spoke for ages about anything and everything, he came to the UK this summer and we met. I loved him online but didn't think it would be the same IRL, but it turns out I love him more :/

He's gone home now (he lives about 3000 miles away ). The time we spent together was amazing, and normally I am so shy with people and guys, but with him it was so natural, we did alot of kissing, hugging and just generally holding each other like we didn't want to let go. He told me he loves me, and that he wants only me.

I don't know what to do. It can never work with this distance, he's going to get bored just talking online, and will soon probably want to have a more physical relationship with some girl he can have easier who lives closer. He's not exactly going to wait to be with me, he's a teenage guy! I feel like talking to him and falling deeper is going to get me very hurt at the end of this, as it just won't work out, fairytales don't exist. I don't know what to do, I love him and want him so much but distance means it just can't happen. It would hurt to cut contact but it would hurt to lose him when he "dumps" me. So either way I'll get hurt. I wish I'd never met him. What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    Talk to him and ask him whether *HE* thinks the relationship between you two can sustain itself when you're such a long distance apart.

Listen to what he says, and how he says it, and report back to us.

ReputationRep:
    Cut contact, asap. The longer it lasts, the easier it gets. You will both move on. LDRs don't work imo

ReputationRep:
    The question that you have to ask yourself is whether it is practical to have a relationship. Reading your post, I feel that you don't think that it is. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    If you are a teenager too you still have along life ahead of u and will meet alot of people and may fall in love with a few. There is no need to worry because what happens jus happens and you never know now that you have met it can still last even though it is a long distance relationship

ReputationRep:
    You are pathetic!
    You can't move on from some guy, who already is 3000 miles away and you might never see again - fall in "love" with someone else, and stop talking to this guy before he realizes the same thing and cuts you out of his life and hurts you even more.

I really do feel for you. I have been through the same thing kind of. There's no easy cure, and I don't think it would help to cut him out completely. Maybe try and accept that nothing's going to happen, at least at the present time, and try and see him as a friend. And maybe you two will end up together in the future if one of you is able to move to where the other lives... But I would try and get on with your life where you are for the moment, and maybe go online less, as doesn't that hurt for you knowing you can't be with him physically as well?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to say it, but time does heal.

ReputationRep:
    typical long distance problem.. just end it now

ReputationRep:
    Just cut ties now. Also, I really don't want to trivialise what you're feeling, but there have been many, MANY times when I have thought I loved someone then realised that I didn't actually know them that well at all and love takes a very long time to develop...if you keep telling yourself you love him and can't be without him then you won't move on - and as you already acknowledge it's not going to work, you need to move on.

ReputationRep:
    Reading that made me sad

Logically you should probably cut contact for a bit so the feelings can die down. Then maybe you can speak again as friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    To cut a long story short, I met a guy online, spoke for ages about anything and everything, he came to the UK this summer and we met. I loved him online but didn't think it would be the same IRL, but it turns out I love him more :/

He's gone home now (he lives about 3000 miles away ). The time we spent together was amazing, and normally I am so shy with people and guys, but with him it was so natural, we did alot of kissing, hugging and just generally holding each other like we didn't want to let go. He told me he loves me, and that he wants only me.

I don't know what to do. It can never work with this distance, he's going to get bored just talking online, and will soon probably want to have a more physical relationship with some girl he can have easier who lives closer. He's not exactly going to wait to be with me, he's a teenage guy! I feel like talking to him and falling deeper is going to get me very hurt at the end of this, as it just won't work out, fairytales don't exist. I don't know what to do, I love him and want him so much but distance means it just can't happen. It would hurt to cut contact but it would hurt to lose him when he "dumps" me. So either way I'll get hurt. I wish I'd never met him. What do I do?
    What would you prefer? If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't cut contact.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.