Turn on thread page Beta

What UK political issues are British Muslims concerned about? watch

ReputationRep:
    Given that there's lots of "OMGZ, Islamz gonna tayk over da werld!!!" threads doing the rounds, I thought it would be worth taking some of the sting out and looking at things from a different perspective.

So...

If you identify yourself (i.e. not somebody else telling you) as a British Muslim, or a Muslim who has lived in the UK for a long time, what local and national (i.e. to the UK) issues concern you most? (and why?)

For everyone else, what issues do you think British Muslims are concerned about and what issues do you think they should be concerned about? (and why?)

Before you post your initial responses to those questions, please state from what standpoint/position you are posting from.

ReputationRep:
    Should curry be subsidized?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    Given that there's lots of "OMGZ, Islamz gonna tayk over da werld!!!" threads doing the rounds, I thought it would be worth taking some of the sting out and looking at things from a different perspective.
    Actually, there are far more 'Nah bruvz, Christianity is well dumb and Islam is like the best relgion in the world, innit' threads.

(Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    For everyone else, what issues do you think British Muslims are concerned about and what issues do you think they should be concerned about? (and why?)
    I think most Muslims are concerned with the same matters that arouse the rest of us e.g. the financial crisis, unemployment, global warming, etc.

ReputationRep:
    BNP, probably.

ReputationRep:
    Same as any other people really - one thing which which concerns me as a British Muslim is the rise of young British Muslims who are turning radical and are being brain washed - really worrying, something which scares me to be honest.

As Forbidden Fruit said the BNP is sort of a worrying but i guess you get groups like them all over the world....soo yeah

But I believe I'm concerned about the same political issues as everyone else in the UK and the World

ReputationRep:
    Whether their bomb making factories posing as mosques will be exposed and whether as a result they'll keep getting their benefits.

ReputationRep:
    First of all please refrain from using the term 'British muslim', they are not british, there is no such thing. I have no doubt that this thread is started by some anti-british weak left-wing prick but I will voice my two cents none the less. All they care about is getting their right to pray five times a day whilst working for their british employers, getting as many mosques as they can in britain, making british police women have to wear burkas (they most likely want to make all women walk behind men as well), all whilst claiming the maximum benefits. This used to be a great country...

ReputationRep:
    Getting burkas into Marks and Spencers.

ReputationRep:
    I am Jacks: So by your standard - a person who is British but has converted to Islam, cannot be considered British? Interesting..

As a British Muslim, who is not a convert and who is not Asian and subsequently is not a 'radical' - my concern is the weakness of the country itself. The flooding of immigrants and the islamification of the UK, along with the segregation. The government let this all happen - and instead of 'certain' people seeing this - they decide to blame it on sub-cultures. If your going to have relaxed immigration rules, favour immigrants in council jobs and give immigrants housing and benefits - they're going to take it. It's quite simple - third world country poverty: to a life of luxury - I think so.

I think the answer you'll find the most obvious is - following America blindly into wars that don't involve us and therefore get us into situations where we have to mourn young-men brought back in body bags, our financial disaster and the threat of terroism. Not really sure if we have to worry about that anymore, seeing as though Obama is in power.

(Original post by Vinnygar)
    Not really sure if we have to worry about that anymore, seeing as though Obama is in power.
    Do people still love Obama? The man is an awful, awful president - making all the same mistakes that Bush did - he's continuing this war on terror, he's giving bailouts to the private sector and was a leading figure behind that 1 trillion world bailout (where did the money come from, if not from the world, all that did was take money from taxpayers and give it to beaurocracy) - stop expecting him to fix the worlds problems, because he's only making them even worse.

As for domestic muslims: brown is the new black in this country, by that I mean you're the new target for racism, black people are pretty safe now even among BNP sympathisers. The reason is that our government is at war with muslim countries, and there is little or no justification for that war unless they stir up a lot of fear, and a lot of hatred - so thats what they've done. As a right-winger I can't believe I'm saying this, but your best bet is probably to vote liberal democrat who are the only mainstream party to oppose the war on terror - because once that whole thing is over, so too will be the hatred of Islam in this country.

That said there is a danger of overestimating the extent of the BNP's support - theeir share of the vote is going to be massively up at the next election, yes ... but they wont actually win any seats.

ReputationRep:
    Ensuring their toilets don't face Mecca.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    BNP, probably.
    I think you will find that is a concern with most people, of any religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Am Jacks...)
    First of all please refrain from using the term 'British muslim', they are not british, there is no such thing.
    Well i am guessing that the British passport they posess will say otherwise.

I have no doubt that this thread is started by some anti-british weak left-wing prick but I will voice my two cents none the less.
    Oh joy

All they care about is getting their right to pray five times a day
    whilst working for their british employers
    , getting as many mosques as they can in britain, making british police women have to wear burkas (they most likely want to make all women walk behind men as well), all whilst sitting around claiming the maximum benefits. This used to be a great country...

:lolwut: So they work all day for British employers, but sit around all day claiming maximum benefits..... Good Argument :yy: :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    As for domestic muslims: brown is the new black in this country, by that I mean you're the new target for racism, black people are pretty safe now even among BNP sympathisers.
    Lol. Wow. Unfortunately 4 me, i Agree.
    I'm screwed then,
    Being Black AND Muslim.
    and a chick too. :cool: ah well

But speaking as a muslim,
    I'm concerned about
    exactly what any person would
    Global Warming, BNP, Economical Retreat, all of it.
    and the idea of the west being Islamised.
    Not gonna lie, those extremists annoy me. They've bred this fear and hate of muslims.

p.s. I am Jacks...
    Ask any muslim, any real muslim, wether they believe any of what you have written should be actually installed as law in ANY country.
    Cus personally, i think thats all Bulls Balls mixed with ignorance. :confused:
    You've been listening to too many extremists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    BNP, probably.
    To be honest, one could argue that Muslims pose a greater threat to the British National Party than the other way round in the current climate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmJay)
    To be honest, one could argue that Muslims pose a greater threat to the British National Party than the other way round in the current climate.
    Why do you say that?:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InkFromMyPen)
    Why do you say that?:o:
    If you take a look at recent developments e.g. the decision to ban people affiliated with the BNP from the police force; the decision of the Church of England to ban its members from joining the BNP; the inability of BNP members to secure jobs in the prison service and etc. Similarly, members of the BNP face discrimination in in other organisations such as trade unions, etc - not to mention the proposals to ban people affiliated with the BNP from joining the teaching profession and so on.

Compared to the BNP, Muslims face such explicit discrimination and aggressive Muslim organisations no doubt play a role in pushing the government to further marginalise the BNP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmJay)
    Compared to the BNP, Muslims face such explicit discrimination and aggressive Muslim organisations no doubt play a role in pushing the government to further marginalise the BNP.
    Yes, Muslims control the government, move over Jews.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Ensuring their toilets don't face Mecca.
    My Uncle Abdul worries about that all the time :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.