Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Im 18 and im going out with a 44 year old guy I met in London!
    He was a few months seperated when I met him and now he's trying to get a divorce, but his wife doesn't see why now (she doesn't know about me) and thinks they should remain as they are.
    We argue constanly about it, and also that we hardly ever get to see each other even though we live close because of his work and trying to keep the relationship a secret!
    We can't hold hands or kiss or anything in public because people would stare, and its becoming incrediably difficult to make excuses to my parents so I can stay round his house!
    I think I do love him and he loves me, but now I don't know if its worth it! I think the age difference is too large for the relationship to last!
    What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    Follow your heart :suith:

ReputationRep:
    Follow his penis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Follow your heart :suith:
    ...and what ever happens learn your lesson

ReputationRep:
    Not worth it, when he's 60 and on a wheelchair, you'll be 30

ReputationRep:
    Follow his wallet.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I'm with the penis comment. 100% the path to take

ReputationRep:
    you think you love him?
    in my experience, if you have to think about it and you're not sure, it's not love yet.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm. Can't see any benefit in this. Wait, is he rich?

ReputationRep:
    no divorce, no chance. unless that happens and he properly separates you'll just be fun on the side. what 44 yo wouldn't love some 18 yo?
    not that i'm against older guys. older = usually better.

ReputationRep:
    Oh hello Electra Complex.

ReputationRep:
    Don't walk, RUN away from this.

ReputationRep:
    He sounds a tad...

creepy?

ReputationRep:
    Not worth bothering IMO.Sounds like a messy rebound relationship that he wants , I'm sure he loves you but probably for the wrong reasons - also you would have different aims in life to him which could be a source of conflict.

ReputationRep:
    Im your age, and he's older than my dad. That's a bit odd.

ReputationRep:
    Think about what your heart wants...

THEN, do the exact opposite!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloud Shine)
    Don't walk, RUN away from this.
    fast.

ReputationRep:
    My dad actually dated an 18 year old for 5 years when he was about 50... She ended up breaking up with him because it was a very long distance relationship and she probably realised that it wasn't going to work. he was pretty upset by it all i think.
    I personally wouldn't recommend it, as people have said, he will soon start to look very old and even if he divorces his wife and becomes fully with you, in public it will still be uncomfortable/awkward because he will look like your father... I would suggest ending it now before you get too close. I feel for you though cos im sure you didnt intend to fall for a much older man! good luck.

ReputationRep:
    If you only think you love him, then you probably don't. It sounds like you're embarrassed by him; you shouldn't care if people stare, let them look it's none of their business. As with the progression of any relationship, you have to be sure about each other and positive about the relationship and it doesn't sound like you are. If you're serious about making it work then it can't stay a secret forever.

Ok - his wife has finally agreed to a divorce as she has realised they won't get back together - and he has asked me to marry him!
    He told me to think about it and I do love him, but im still unsure :/
    Thoughts anyone?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.