The Student Room Group

Police worship

Poll

How do you view the police?

Has anyone else noticed that, on the standard five TV channels (and throughout the media in general) there's a sort of glorification of the police, and a preoccupation with crime and "justice"?

For example, three of the five primetime (9-10) slots were taken up by police programmes tonight. There's seven programmes based around crime and policework between 9 and 12.

Does this actually reflect a public fascination and interest with policework and crime? Do people identify with the police as heroes?

Obviously, it's more obvious in the rather unsubtle Hollywood films and crime/detective fiction. But why? And is it a good thing? Is the government and/or media feeding us pro-police propaganda?

Finally: how do you feel about the police? Do you think they protect and serve, and are a vital part of society? Or do you see them as an oppressive, brutal force that does more harm than good?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As far as i can tell, anyone that says "**** the police theyre ******* corrupt" are usually the ones breaking the law in the first place. A police man tried to save my dads life when he was in an RTA and he was off duty. At the end of the day these people risk thier lives everyday trying to make us save. Yeah there are some butt holes out there but there are in every single work place. Thats my 2p anyway.
Reply 2
Police "docu-dramas" are dirt cheap to produce whilst being highly encouraged by the police themselves. Commerical TV is in a bad state atm.
Reply 3
I thought this was gonna be about 'badge bunnies'!
Reply 4
Eh, they deserve respect for all the crap they have to put up with on a daily basis - both on and off duty. Of course there are a few bad eggs that abuse their power, but that happens with any person in a position of authority.
Reply 5
chidona
Eh, they deserve respect for all the crap they have to put up with on a daily basis - both on and off duty. Of course there are a few bad eggs that abuse their power, but that happens with any person in a position of authority.

Why do they deserve respect?
Reply 6
police are good, and they deserve more respect than they get, but they aren't allowed to do a lot of the stuff they want to do because of various laws/ rights etc that protect the criminal.
Reply 7
punktopia
Why do they deserve respect?

chidona

for all the crap they have to put up with on a daily basis - both on and off duty.
**** em all

the majority are self serving power hungry egomaniacs.
the rest were just too scared to join the army.
Reply 9
"F*** da poh lees".
Reply 10
Trigger
As far as i can tell, anyone that says "**** the police theyre ******* corrupt" are usually the ones breaking the law in the first place. A police man tried to save my dads life when he was in an RTA and he was off duty. At the end of the day these people risk thier lives everyday trying to make us save. Yeah there are some butt holes out there but there are in every single work place. Thats my 2p anyway.

This pretty much.

I've met some really sound policemen in my time (not through criminal activities I hasten to add) But I have heard the horror stories as well - a thread a month or so ago about the two women who were arrested for asking for a badge number for example.

However, I do think they are hampered by government targets an such, which should not factor into the law. If only 20% of drivers break the law, why should the other 80% be prosecuted, just to meet a government target.

They have a hard job, and fair play to them, I couldn't do it.
I've come across a fair few corrupt officers in my time, when I was in primary school my friends dad was booted out of the force after it had emerged he was selling details of raids to drug dealers. And I know several people who've been arrested on spurious charges and subsequently made successful unlawful arrest claims against the police.

Some are ok and genuinely want to help out, some just do it because of the money, and others are just on a power trip.
Reply 12
chidona

That's not a reason though, is it?
Reply 13
punktopia
That's not a reason though, is it?

It really is.
Look, at the end of the day while you may not need to necessarily agree with the morality of what the police do, consideration has to be taken that they are only doing what they've been instructed to. My feeling on the police force are similar to my views on the army - they deserve respect because they have to take a lot of **** in the course of their job, and get no thanks when they've done it.

If you have beef with what they've been told to do then you should direct your rage at the higher powers.
I understand that their job is to keep us safe, but some blatantly misuse their power. Either that or some of them are absolute illogical morons. There was this one police officer who wanted to fine me £80 for riding my bike on the sidewalk next to the road. :wtf:
Another time when my friend was mugged we waited for 30 minutes and no police car arrived only to have them call us and tell us that they couldn't find us. :wtf:
AntiMonarchist
**** em all

Oh shut up you idiot.
Reply 16
AntiMonarchist
**** em all

:rolleyes:
Reply 17
chidona
It really is.
Look, at the end of the day while you may not need to necessarily agree with the morality of what the police do, consideration has to be taken that they are only doing what they've been instructed to. My feeling on the police force are similar to my views on the army - they deserve respect because they have to take a lot of **** in the course of their job, and get no thanks when they've done it.

If you have beef with what they've been told to do then you should direct your rage at the higher powers.

So they deserve respect because "they have to take a lot of **** and get no thanks" - again, I don't think that's a reason at all. Internet helpdesk operators have to take a lot of **** and get no thanks. So do about a billion other people. Besides, they choose to join the police...
punktopia
So they deserve respect because "they have to take a lot of **** and get no thanks" - again, I don't think that's a reason at all. Internet helpdesk operators have to take a lot of **** and get no thanks. So do about a billion other people. Besides, they choose to join the police...

When/how does one deserve respect?
Got nothing but contempt for the crooks dressed in uniforms.