Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Police worship Watch

• View Poll Results: How do you view the police?
    They're necessary, but I don't like them
    12.61%
    I think they're under-appreciated, they do a great job
    48.74%
    They're brutal and oppressive; enemies of freedom
    12.61%
    Some individual officers are okay but the policing system needs an overhaul
    26.05%

ReputationRep:
    What annoys me is that the police get blamed for things the government should be changing that the police themselvs can do nothing about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just-another-critic)
    When/how does one deserve respect?
    Typically, they should earn it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think worship is the right word. They have an interesting job (some of the time) and people like watching it. Not sure where the problem is with that. They do the same with many professions: Vets, doctors, chefs, even binmen.

So do you disagree with the idea of a police force?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    Typically, they should earn it.
    How does one earn respect?

ReputationRep:
    How does one earn respect?
    Through their actions and deeds.

ReputationRep:
    some r racist!!! it's even in the news!!! puts me of joinin
    the look they give me is so arrogant and evil!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GorgeousMatt)
    I don't think worship is the right word. They have an interesting job (some of the time) and people like watching it. Not sure where the problem is with that. They do the same with many professions: Vets, doctors, chefs, even binmen.

So do you disagree with the idea of a police force?
    I don't think I was quite clear: it's not just documentary-based programmes but also fiction. And it's all over the place.

I think it's dangerous to smother people with this kind of propaganda.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else noticed that, on the standard five TV channels (and throughout the media in general) there's a sort of glorification of the police, and a preoccupation with crime and "justice"?

For example, three of the five primetime (9-10) slots were taken up by police programmes tonight. There's seven programmes based around crime and policework between 9 and 12.

Does this actually reflect a public fascination and interest with policework and crime? Do people identify with the police as heroes?

Obviously, it's more obvious in the rather unsubtle Hollywood films and crime/detective fiction. But why? And is it a good thing? Is the government and/or media feeding us pro-police propaganda?

Finally: how do you feel about the police? Do you think they protect and serve, and are a vital part of society? Or do you see them as an oppressive, brutal force that does more harm than good?
    You're a retard if you genuinely think the police aren't needed. They are pretty much the thin blue line that stops idiots and criminals from overrunning the decent in society

Someone has been reading the news where a few idiots get tasered for not co-operating and thinks its turned into a "right-wing fascist dictatorship" - to be quite honest, the other option of vigilante justice and "taking things into your own hands" is one hell of a lot of a worse option - the police are an unbias medium, while "taking things into your hands" always leads to disproportionate reaction, much worse than a few chavs getting restrained because they refuse to co-operate, more like lynching, houses being burned down and the obvious consequence of death.

if anything is the problem, its the anti-police propaganda that is worse; this ******** about them spying on you with CCTV and monitoring your web usage is a bunch of narcassistic, paranoid load of codswallop. All they do is protect people, regardless of a few slip-ups which can only really be expected, however grim they may be

so they do one hell of a lot more good than harm

and besides, what benefits could no police have?

ReputationRep:
    Well in the real, capitalist, world they will keep making fictional TV programmes and films about police, until the market for it declines and it stops being profitable. There is not a huge amount anyone can do about it.

Would you like it banned or something?

Bedroom revolutionaries: tiresome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DVDA)
    You're a retard if you genuinely think the police aren't needed. They are pretty much the thin blue line that stops idiots and criminals from overrunning the decent in society

Someone has been reading the news where a few idiots get tasered for not co-operating and thinks its turned into a "right-wing fascist dictatorship" - to be quite honest, the other option of vigilante justice and "taking things into your own hands" is one hell of a lot of a worse option - the police are an unbias medium, while "taking things into your hands" always leads to disproportionate reaction, much worse than a few chavs getting restrained because they refuse to co-operate, more like lynching, houses being burned down and the obvious consequence of death.

if anything is the problem, its the anti-police propaganda that is worse; this ******** about them spying on you with CCTV and monitoring your web usage is a bunch of narcassistic, paranoid load of codswallop. All they do is protect people, regardless of a few slip-ups which can only really be expected, however grim they may be

Heavens, you're naive.

I can just picture it now, as the police kick down your door, black body armour and guns:

"Would you like a cup of tea, officer? Is there anything else I can get you officer? Officer, why are you pointing that gun at me? Officer! You shot me! Oh dear, I must have broken the law, I deserved it! Good work, officer!"

ReputationRep:
    Heavens, you're naive.

I can just picture it now, as the police kick down your door, black body armour and guns:

"Would you like a cup of tea, officer? Is there anything else I can get you officer? Officer, why are you pointing that gun at me? Officer! You shot me! Oh dear, I must have broken the law, I deserved it! Good work, officer!"
    I can just picture it now: you screaming to N.W.A.'s '**** tha Police'.

ReputationRep:
    You are aware of what country we live in aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else noticed that, on the standard five TV channels (and throughout the media in general) there's a sort of glorification of the police, and a preoccupation with crime and "justice"?

For example, three of the five primetime (9-10) slots were taken up by police programmes tonight. There's seven programmes based around crime and policework between 9 and 12.

Does this actually reflect a public fascination and interest with policework and crime? Do people identify with the police as heroes?

Obviously, it's more obvious in the rather unsubtle Hollywood films and crime/detective fiction. But why? And is it a good thing? Is the government and/or media feeding us pro-police propaganda?

Finally: how do you feel about the police? Do you think they protect and serve, and are a vital part of society? Or do you see them as an oppressive, brutal force that does more harm than good?
    I've never really been a fan of english police, mainly because they claim to be honest & not corrupt (yet so many are corrupt and dishonest), I would rather have russian police who are at least honest about their dishonesty :p:

Personally I would have a much more strict recruitment process for the police force, the power they recieve should only be given to people who are suitable for the job.

Also there's alot of uneeded aggression in the police too, I never pay attention to someone who shouts and swears at me yet me doing either back will get me arrested...

ReputationRep:
    I can just picture it now: you screaming to N.W.A.'s '**** tha Police'.
    I've already met the police on several occasions.

ReputationRep:
    I've already met the police on several occasions.
    So what?

ReputationRep:
    All that I know is that out of the things that seem to dominate the news these days, I'd sooner date a policeman than a soldier/politician.

Or at least, a man in a velcro-seamed police uniform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DVDA)

Police shouldn't be doing ANY harm whatsoever really, they are there to uphold the law but with the police it's more "Do as I say, not as I do"

ReputationRep:
    Heavens, you're naive.

What?! thats the most retarded ******** ive ever heard aside from the bible

has there ever been any incidents of this occuring?

and jesus ever since 7/7, every hippy and anarachist nutcase has been claiming that the "state is clamping down on your personal freedom"

name 2 notable things we have lost/or you feel you have lost from the police force

and you havent answered the question - what would take the place of the police force?

EDIT: stupid TSR cocking up my post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DVDA)
    What?! thats the most retarded ******** ive ever heard aside from the bible

has there ever been any incidents of this occuring?

and jesus ever sinrorism, every hippy and anarachist nutcase has been claiming that the "state is clamping down on your personal freedom"

name 2 notable things we have lost/or you feel you have lost from the police force

and you havent answered the question - what would take the place of the police force?
    ce 7/7 when police were allowed to yeild guns for anti-ter
    Oh, dear. You're just trolling.

Please come back when you can string a sentence together that wouldn't shame a 5 year old.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, dear. You're just trolling.

Please come back when you can string a sentence together that wouldn't shame a 5 year old.
    hmm i don't know how that happened....stupid thing ****** up, ill edit it

but yes, its a serious question - what would you prefer to have in place of a police force?

the army? vigilante justice mobs?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.