Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Police worship Watch

• View Poll Results: How do you view the police?
    They're necessary, but I don't like them
    12.61%
    I think they're under-appreciated, they do a great job
    48.74%
    They're brutal and oppressive; enemies of freedom
    12.61%
    Some individual officers are okay but the policing system needs an overhaul
    26.05%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DVDA)
    hmm i don't know how that happened....stupid thing ****** up, ill edit it

but yes, its a serious question - what would you prefer to have in place of a police force?

the army? vigilante justice mobs?
    In the perfect world there wouldn't need to be a police force.

ReputationRep:
    You left out the "Stupid wee anchors who feel special 'cause they were given a gun and some handcuffs" option on your poll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gueirguiy)
    Police shouldn't be doing ANY harm whatsoever really, they are there to uphold the law but with the police it's more "Do as I say, not as I do"
    sometimes the only way you can uphold the law is through proportianate force

not beating the **** out of them with clubs for no reason, even i dont want that

but be reasonable - how many agressors/drunks/criminals are going to abide by the law when the police can only ask them to desist

ever heard of a thing called the League of Nations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    The world is far from perfect.

ReputationRep:
    Heavens, you're naive.

I can just picture it now, as the police kick down your door, black body armour and guns:

"Would you like a cup of tea, officer? Is there anything else I can get you officer? Officer, why are you pointing that gun at me? Officer! You shot me! Oh dear, I must have broken the law, I deserved it! Good work, officer!"
    Oh do grow up! This isn't V for Vendetta. I love the way you call yourself an Anarchist but have no substance when others question you.

Tip: Go outside once in a while.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: but this isnt a perfect world.

so what would make do in this ****** world?

its not like you can sweep aggression, idiocity, violence etc under the rug; they will always exist - regardless of how we may dislike it

so what would it be?

nothing? exactly. not a lot you can do with a police force, unless you have that primitive concept of "an eye for an eye" mentality of mob justice, which will be 100x worse than "police brutality"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Oh do grow up! This isn't V for Vendetta. I love the way you call yourself an Anarchist but have no substance when others question you.

Tip: Go outside once in a while.
    Hurrah, one of my fabled stalkers! I have plenty of substance, I just can't be bothered to repeat the same arguments with people who don't have the wit to understand them.

I'm far, far too lazy for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DVDA)
    :facepalm: but this isnt a perfect world.

so what would make do in this ****** world?

its not like you can sweep aggression, idiocity, violence etc under the rug; they will always exist - regardless of how we may dislike it

so what would it be?

nothing? exactly. not a lot you can do with a police force, unless you have that primitive concept of "an eye for an eye" mentality of mob justice, which will be 100x worse than "police brutality"
    This thread isn't about my beliefs, it's about the prevalence of police programmes and positive reflections of the police in the media, and what sort of effect that may have on the populace.

ReputationRep:
    Hurrah, one of my fabled stalkers! I have plenty of substance, I just can't be bothered to repeat the same arguments with people who don't have the wit to understand them.

I'm far, far too lazy for that.

Ahhh the same old excuses. Why don't you provide me with 3 of your beliefs, thats all, just three, surely, even you could quickly google Anarchist and copy and paste the results?

ReputationRep:
    This thread isn't about my beliefs, it's about the prevalence of police programmes and positive reflections of the police in the media, and what sort of effect that may have on the populace.
    lol from the last arguments it seemed to swing towards your beliefs quite a lot

and have you ever heard of the League of Nations?

are you suggesting that we have some men who tell people to "desist" and then just expect them to do it?

it barely worked in the 1920s and failed completely in the 1930's, and its not going to change now.

so come on, just tell me - or is anarchism too flawed?

would you much rather have it that society crumbled into a primitive, animalistic state?

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible to look at it on anything but a case-by-case basis. My local coppers know everyone by name and if anyone's ever came into conflict with them (:ninja:) it's because they've been doing something they shouldn't. However, in some cases (riot police etc.) then abuse of power can occur. I encourage respect of the police because they, in the end, protect us. It's what goes on behind the scenes, and people who would do us harm are arrested. It's in the news rather often. They put themselves in the line of fire (sometimes literally) to preserve the peace and protect us, so for the most part I have nothing against them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DVDA)
    lol from the last arguments it seemed to swing towards your beliefs quite a lot

and have you ever heard of the League of Nations?

are you suggesting that we have some men who tell people to "desist" and then just expect them to do it?

it barely worked in the 1920s and failed completely in the 1930's, and its not going to change now.

so come on, just tell me - or is anarchism too flawed?

would you much rather have it that society crumbled into a primitive, animalistic state?

Woah! we shouldn't be attacking Anarchistic ideaology as being flawed, on the contrary it provides some very interesting questions in regards to the absence of law.

What we should be attacking is Punkktopia's wannabe, sex pistols worshipping, fakeness, and the fact he will call everybody a sheep without realising the irony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Woah! we shouldn't be attacking Anarchistic ideaology as being flawed, on the contrary it provides some very interesting points of discussion in regards to the absence of law.

What we should be attacking is Punkktopia's wannabe, sex pistols worshipping, fakeness, and the fact he will call everybody a sheep without realising the irony.
    what is the anarachist idealogy in full? tbh, i dont want to resort back to animalistic society; i want to progress forwards, not go thousands upon thousands of years backwards socially

i dont really like a lot of extreme idealogic ideals anyway, i prefer the centre-left (Y)

hmm true, the sex pistols were a bunch of tuneless hillbillys who murdered guitars for "music"

but yeah, everytime ive asked a reasonable point it seems he resorts to the "troll" excuse

lol what a fail

ReputationRep:
    i hate them, and i hate them stupid programmes like road wards and ****. I think these days they are becoming increasingly oppressive, my ppl get so ******* scared when they see a police car, even when doing nothing wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, mon anarchy and social chaos. mon the disbanding of authority and let's all rise up and defeat the fascist police system. UNITE, brothers, sisters and the NUS UNITE! For Freedom! blah blah blah let's blow **** up.

For what it's worth, Road and Street Wars are perhaps the best thing on sky.

ReputationRep:
    Attention: you are about to try to argue about the merits of law enforcement with someone who sports an "anarchy" avatar. Continue with your exercise in futility: y/n?

*presses N*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DVDA)
    what is the anarachist idealogy in full? tbh, i dont want to resort back to animalistic society; i want to progress forwards, not go thousands upon thousands of years backwards socially

i dont really like a lot of extreme idealogic ideals anyway, i prefer the centre-left (Y)

hmm true, the sex pistols were a bunch of tuneless hillbillys who murdered guitars for "music"

but yeah, everytime ive asked a reasonable point it seems he resorts to the "troll" excuse

lol what a fail

Well, when i say Anarchist "idealogy", i refer to the many, many different ideas and interpratations of what Anarchism is.

The view that we would be thrust back into some kind of animalistic chaos, is a common misconception of public thought in regards to Anarchism. Almost all Anarchists agree that acts such as rape, robbery and theft should not be allowed. Prominent Anarchist philospher Mikhail Bakunin opposed the Law as an institution, and yet was unfortunately rather vauge in his descriptions of an alternative. I personally think (although i am no Anarchist) that some scheme where private insurance agencies are the primary providers of crime control or “law enforcement” services with legal institutions resembling the private arbitration services currently in existence would be the most efficient from of keeping the peace, although without a way to prevent someone aquiring a monopoly over these agencies, there would be nothing to stop an Anarchist society drifting back into statism.

. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pyropink)
    i hate them, and i hate them stupid programmes like road wards and ****. I think these days they are becoming increasingly oppressive, my ppl get so ******* scared when they see a police car, even when doing nothing wrong!

Who do you think you are, Moses?! :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I believe the entire state structure needs to be removed, along with the police. They hinder freedom. I can't be assed going into a lengthy explanation about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMonarchist)
    **** em all

the majority are self serving power hungry egomaniacs.
    the rest were just too scared to join the army.
    N00bstick, we need the police more then the army...
    They actually serve the country then fight in a distance war no one wants or cares about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.