Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Police worship watch

• View Poll Results: How do you view the police?
    They're necessary, but I don't like them
    12.61%
    I think they're under-appreciated, they do a great job
    48.74%
    They're brutal and oppressive; enemies of freedom
    12.61%
    Some individual officers are okay but the policing system needs an overhaul
    26.05%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Well, when i say Anarchist "idealogy", i refer to the many, many different ideas and interpratations of what Anarchism is.

The view that we would be thrust back into some kind of animalistic chaos, is a common misconception of public thought in regards to Anarchism. Almost all Anarchists agree that acts such as rape, robbery and theft should not be allowed. Prominent Anarchist philospher Mikhail Bakunin opposed the Law as an institution, and yet was unfortunately rather vauge in his descriptions of an alternative. I personally think (although i am no Anarchist) that some scheme where private insurance agencies are the primary providers of crime control or “law enforcement” services with legal institutions resembling the private arbitration services currently in existence would be the most efficient from of keeping the peace, although without a way to prevent someone aquiring a monopoly over these agencies, there would be nothing to stop an Anarchist society drifting back into statism.

. :dontknow:
    So, you think people like my dad (a Actuary) should be on the streets fighting crime... using numbers and calculators?!

ReputationRep:
    Well, when i say Anarchist "idealogy", i refer to the many, many different ideas and interpratations of what Anarchism is.

The view that we would be thrust back into some kind of animalistic chaos, is a common misconception of public thought in regards to Anarchism. Almost all Anarchists agree that acts such as rape, robbery and theft should not be allowed. Prominent Anarchist philospher Mikhail Bakunin opposed the Law as an institution, and yet was unfortunately rather vauge in his descriptions of an alternative. I personally think (although i am no Anarchist) that some scheme where private insurance agencies are the primary providers of crime control or “law enforcement” services with legal institutions resembling the private arbitration services currently in existence would be the most efficient from of keeping the peace, although without a way to prevent someone aquiring a monopoly over these agencies, there would be nothing to stop an Anarchist society drifting back into statism.

. :dontknow:
    Almost all Anarchists agree that acts such as rape, robbery and theft should not be allowed. - i dont know how they would be able to prevent this if they are so against a law figure...

Insurance agencies? hmmm...i guess thats sort of logical, but its still "enforcement" of a sort, so theres really still a government keeping control

hmm it seems a nice idea, much like communism, but human nature will somehow get the better of this idea of "utopia" (also again much like communism)

i dunno, it all seems a bit condratictory to me - no government but a significant powerhead all seems a bit dictatoral to be quite frank - whats to stop these insurance agencies and such manipulating the people and gaining a large amount of power?

also the idea of having anarchism thrust onto the entire population - at a first guess i wouldnt have thought they would be upholding a democracy anytime soon, which again gives it a dictatoral undergroudning

personally, the democracy model, even with its slight flaws, seems to be the better, feasible and more humane out of all the options

sorry if i got the wrong end of the stick, lack of sleep might have scrambled my brain lol

ReputationRep:
    LMAO, seriously. I think I've given up on defending the police, the military, the government, etc, on TSR before I've even started. This place is like YouTube, i.e. everyone goes there, gets to participate, and gets to say their word. Unfortunately, not everyone is the sharpest knife in the drawer. This ultimately results in quite a bit BS posting that distracts from any realistic or sane arguments. In fact, I don't know how other people seriously argue about ANYTHING on TSR -- I'm just put off by all the ridiculous views (though it's people's right to hold any views they want, of course). Better men (and women) than me, I guess. Props to you guys who can put up with all the stupidity (IMO)... I guess I've been there and done that on other forums in the past, and now I've just grown too weary of it.

Edit: and yes, for the record, Aeolus brings up some good points about what Anarchy really is. The problem lies with ditsy Anarchy 'fanboys' who don't know the first thing about the subject, but who put the symbol on all of their belongings and proclaim themselves as "Anarchists", and then go on all day about how the world would be a better place with their stupid ideas. Of course, that is without even realizing what serious Anarchists believe in. Basically, they give the more serious Anarchists a bad name (not that I agree with them either).

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they work under horrendous circumstances, that the majority work extremely hard and that they perform an invaluable and underrated service.

Having said that I've never had anything but trouble from them, and the few times I or a family member have needed help they've been pretty ****...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    Why do they deserve respect?
    Because they are gods.

ReputationRep:
    A police force is necessary to protect individuals and property. I'll start defending them when they do stop enforcing unjust laws.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    Attention: you are about to try to argue about the merits of law enforcement with someone who sports an "anarchy" avatar. Continue with your exercise in futility: y/n?

*presses N*
    Lol

In the perfect world there wouldn't need to be a police force.
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    I think those who worship the Police are just as stupid as the infantile 'F the Police ,man lets smoke a spliff' idiots you get on campus. The Police worshippers annoy me because no matter what incident occurs where the Police use blatantly too much force or fit someone up they always excuse it. And the F the Police types annoy me because one day they might pray for a Police car to come round that corner and they sterotype far too much that some bad apples mean all the bunch are bad.

Personally I've only apart from two occasions have met some really stand up coppers. One time in fact they could have lifted me and put me in a cell but instead drove me home to my parents house. Another when I cracked my head open as a kid.A Policewoman stayed with we at the hospital till my mum got there after I tried to run out the hospital as I was scared. She even gave me 50 p for being brave when they stitched my head up!

However my cousin got badly beaten up by strathclyde Police after he was involved in a fight because he swore at them. He was all cuffed up they took him down an alleyway and caned him. 5 of them.Then they was coming in his cell telling him he would be dead by morning and stuff. My cousins made a complaint dunno whats happened though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pyropink)
    i hate them, and i hate them stupid programmes like road wards and ****. I think these days they are becoming increasingly oppressive, my ppl get so ******* scared when they see a police car, even when doing nothing wrong!
    I'm sorry but that just made me laugh SO hard. Oh myy..:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMonarchist)
    **** em all

the majority are self serving power hungry egomaniacs.
    the rest were just too scared to join the army.
    Quite sure there are a number of people in the army that shouldn't be. Power hungry egomaniacs like soldiers who rape Iraqis you mean? I'd rather be in the armed forces than a policeman. Technically, you're less likely to die as an army officer than a policeman. But you can get the best of both worlds and be a member of the military police. Might look into this as a career actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachykeen09)
    I'm sorry but that just made me laugh SO hard. Oh myy..
    Is it really any different from being upset about 9/11 when none of your relatives, friends etc have been involved in the incident? Sometimes, there are situations when people regard fellow citizens as one of their people. Same thing happened with the taser incident at UCLA, which resulted in a lot of backlash from fellow American students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    As far as i can tell, anyone that says "**** the police theyre ******* corrupt" are usually the ones breaking the law in the first place. A police man tried to save my dads life when he was in an RTA and he was off duty. At the end of the day these people risk thier lives everyday trying to make us save. Yeah there are some butt holes out there but there are in every single work place. Thats my 2p anyway.
    this - the police do a damn hard job and its not made easier by people or the bureaucracy thats put around them.

yeah there are a few scrotes out there but as trigger said its the same in every job

So they deserve respect because "they have to take a lot of **** and get no thanks" - again, I don't think that's a reason at all. Internet helpdesk operators have to take a lot of **** and get no thanks. So do about a billion other people. Besides, they choose to join the police...
    so hang on they sign up to protect people through thier own choice and you DONT think thats worthy of respect?

In the perfect world there wouldn't need to be a police force.
    now id call you naive if you really think we will ever have a perfect world

ReputationRep:
    I think they're under-appreciated, they do a great job.

It's a tough job, they get a lot of criticism and so often that comes from the media as well as the public.
    Newspapers like "The Sun" quite rightly support the troops but they should also be setting up such campaigns for the police.

By they way, a good book to read is "the good guys wear black" by Steve Collins. He was an armed police officer for a long time. Really interesting.

Link

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkel)
    A police force is necessary to protect individuals and property. I'll start defending them when they do stop enforcing unjust laws.
    Like the soldiers who don't decide where they go to fight, they don't ask they just do it, police officers have no pull or say in the "unjust" laws" that they enforce. They just do their job and often receive a lot of flack for it.

And I'm curious as to which "unjust laws" you are referring to.

ReputationRep:
    Some are good, some are bad; there should probably be greater oversight in order to weed out the bad ones.

Personally I preferred the traditional situation where the police had no more (or at least very few more) powers than a normal citizen. Indeed, I think they've forgotten their roots to an extent: I heard a policeman on the television refer to 'civilians'. HE is a bloody civilian too - that was the whole point of the police force: that it was a civilian body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    this - the police do a damn hard job and its not made easier by people or the bureaucracy thats put around them.

yeah there are a few scrotes out there but as trigger said its the same in every job

so hang on they sign up to protect people through thier own choice and you DONT think thats worthy of respect?

now id call you naive if you really think we will ever have a perfect world
    I've never seen them actually protect anyone. And I doubt this is the reason most of them sign up, either.

I have seen the police:

Abuse their power
    Fail at their job
    Turn up late/not at all to a call out
    Be corrupt (offering to cut people deals, etc.)
    Be racist
    Be offensive... but hey, they're allowed to do all this, right? They're the police!

ReputationRep:
    Woah! we shouldn't be attacking Anarchistic ideaology as being flawed, on the contrary it provides some very interesting questions in regards to the absence of law.

What we should be attacking is Punkktopia's wannabe, sex pistols worshipping, fakeness, and the fact he will call everybody a sheep without realising the irony.
    You know nothing about me. Sex Pistols... rofl.

You want to know what I believe in?

I believe that everyone has the right to live a free life in a way that doesn't interfere with anyone else's freedom, or harm anyone else.

I believe that society shapes people completely - that no one is born evil.

I believe that in a far future, a fully peaceful, calm and crime-free way of living can be achieved, but that currently, in our capitalist world, it isn't possible.

Happy?

ReputationRep:
    You know nothing about me. Sex Pistols... rofl.

You want to know what I believe in?

I believe that everyone has the right to live a free life in a way that doesn't interfere with anyone else's freedom, or harm anyone else.

I believe that in a far future, a fully peaceful, calm and crime-free way of living can be achieved, but that currently, in our capitalist world, it isn't possible.

Happy?
    You trippin'

ReputationRep:
    They're aweful, constantly cause me trouble and act unreasonably. The majority of the ones I've seen are also abusive and violent - and think nothing of slamming people around under the pretence of searching them. As soon as I see they're there I'm gone.

ReputationRep:
    I believe exactly that as well.

I disagree with you there though. I'd say people shape themselves and society only has as much impact as the individual allows - consciously or otherwise.

Refer to your first point - it sounds an awful lot like Libertarianism.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.