Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Or, alternatively, the thread could have been entitled "No room at the Inn".

This article in The Lawyer reports that the Law Society is going to start a campaign warning prospective students of the perils of trying to enter the profession given the fact that there are far more applicants than available training contracts (7000 to 6000). This comes at the same time as the BSB may have to drop its proposed aptitude test for the BVC as the OFT regards it as potentially anti-competitive.

Would such warnings from the Law Soc have made any difference to your decision to go for law? Or is the competitiveness of the process well-known? The campaign seems like a phenomenal waste of money to me (at the same time as practising certificate fees are being put up by 300 quid)

Waste of time: those who know they don't stand a chance seem to just throw caution to the wind and go for it anyway. Nothing that the Law Society have said is news to anyone I know going through the recruitment process, and in my opinion will just put off more people from poorer backgrounds who may be capable of gaining pupillage/a training contract by scaremongering about the price of postgraduate legal education. I would probably have been put off applying had I seen a message like that from the Law Society, because my parents couldn't have afforded to send me through law school without sponsorship, and yet I managed to secure a training contract.

Although there is certainly a problem with regards to the bottleneck of applicants at the BVC stage, I think the problem with relation to training contracts is exaggerated and the BVC problem requires a lot more than a simple warning to prospective candidates.
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.