Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm waiting to see a consaltant on the NHS at the mo. Is it possible to see him privatley for the first appointment and then transfer back to his NHS list for all of the follow ups?
    Any help will be great x

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need to see a consultant?

I doubt you'll be allowed to do that. It's one or the other

ReputationRep:
    I did this for my rheumatologist. The initial consultation was private, I was then referred to his NHS clinic for twice yearly follow ups :yep:

However, if you're wanting testing etc it will probably be one or the other, and either way it won't get things to happen any quicker.

Thanks for your replys i'v been refered to see a orthopeadic consaltant because I have to have an operation on my knee, my keen is getting worse and just thought that this may hurry things up and I wanted to get it sorted before I start uni.
    Do you think that I will just be waisting my money then?

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather go privately than on the NHS any day!!

Much more efficient in my opinion and from my personal experiences

ReputationRep:
    If you are wanting a operation i would have thought that you would have to stay with the consultant in a private hospital for the operation, if you wanted it done quickly, as there is also a waiting list for an operation as well as to see the consultant.

(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
    If you are wanting a operation i would have thought that you would have to stay with the consultant in a private hospital for the operation, if you wanted it done quickly, as there is also a waiting list for an operation as well as to see the consultant.
    The same doctor does the private consalts and the NHS consalts, it says that on there website as it is all done in the same building.

(Original post by bikipip)
    You may get on the op waiting list faster but thats no guarantee. The only way to speed up would be to get the whole lot done privately, but even then it's unlikely that you will be able to get the op done and recovery time before the end of sep when uni begins.

Maybe tell them during the consult how bad it is and you do not want it interfering with uni, might make you higher priority. Good luck.
    It would make me just feel better just having a date for the op, but can't afford to have it done privately.
    Yea thanks I will ask about getting it in before uni see weather it will make it more of a priority.

(Original post by princessnavi22)
    I'd rather go privately than on the NHS any day!!

Much more efficient in my opinion and from my personal experiences
    It would be great to have the whole lot done privatley but can't afford it they said that it would cost 3000+ and that's just for the op, then there will be a big bill for the hospital stay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The same doctor does the private consalts and the NHS consalts, it says that on there website as it is all done in the same building.
    I meant in terms of using the prelim consultation privately then going on and having a operation on the NHS, they wouldnt allow this as a way to leap frog the waiting list, you would have to wait on a waiting list for the operation on the NHS.

(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
    I meant in terms of using the prelim consultation privately then going on and having a operation on the NHS, they wouldnt allow this as a way to leap frog the waiting list, you would have to wait on a waiting list for the operation on the NHS.
    Oh right yea I understand that i'l then have to go on the NHS waiting list for the operation but at least i'l be a bit higher up the list as I don't have to wait for the initial consalt.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for your replys i'v been refered to see a orthopeadic consaltant because I have to have an operation on my knee, my keen is getting worse and just thought that this may hurry things up and I wanted to get it sorted before I start uni.
    Do you think that I will just be waisting my money then?
    waste of money. You won't get the op any quicker.

Better off using it to buy a spellchecker.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.