Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Nursing Question watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm starting uni in sept to do a nursing diploma at DMU and i have 3 questions to ask and i would appreciate if someone wouldnt mind answering them

1. If you miss a day or two at uni because of being ill (or any other reason) do you still get the full months bursary or will some money get lower amount because of those missed days?

2. When doing the Nursing diploma when do you actually start working/doing shifts in a hospital?

3. What kind of timetable should i expect?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Heyyy
    im hoping to start nursing in September also...degree at Sheffield
    from the people ive asked and from the interviews which included both degree and diploma candidates, the two courses seemed pretty much the same apart from at the end the degree students do an extra module.
    As far as im aware we still will get te full months bursary and im pretty certain placements for nursing starts around november/december time, at least thats what i got told at my Sheffield interview as i would have thought it'd be pretty standard due to the NMC guidelines.
    Timetable.... urrrm a busy one ? lots of lecture and clinical skills time to prepare us for the wards then lots of unsociable placement hours at the hospitals/clinical settings.

sorry if this hasnt helped, its just the general impression i got from my interviews and from the different people and universitys ive asked, the information ive recieved has been pretty standard across the board

good luck for september =]

ReputationRep:
    1. as long as you're not constantly off with unreported sickness you should be fine lol just avoid taking sick days tho as they add up and are expected to be made up

2. Usually around 6-12weeks after theory..as for hula saying clinical skills time *snigger* i got 2 clinical skills pratice before my placement, was ridiculous

3. Usually 4/5 days , 9-4 but contact your institution if you're worried about childcare etc

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.