Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,
    From 1st sept 08 - 27 june 09 I lived in shared accomodation with a joint tenancy agreement. I signed up for the next academic year and was due to move back in on the 1st sept 09. I changed my mind however, as i don't want to live there anymore. I had left some of my things in my room over the summer as I did plan on moving back and didn't remove them until the second week of July. I was due to pay a retainer on the 1st August to keep my room for summer, i have now cancelled the standing order for this. I have found someone to take my room and they have signed the contract and want to move in the 1st august instead of sept. The landlords are saying as i didnt move my stuff out of the house on the 27th june then they are going to take 3 weeks rent out of my 250 deposit as my stuff was there! Can they do this? I wasn't living there and have found someone to take over my room! They aren't losing any money, infact they are gaining money as the guy wants to move in earlier!
    I've also found out that i shouldn't have paid a retainer last year from my unis website as extensive building work was going on and we had no use of the house, couldnt leave stuff there or stay a few days over summer. Is there anything i can do about this now?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I think the landlord taking out three weeks rent is quite reasonable, as your property was in the house they could not have rented it out to anybody else even if they had wanted to. Sounds quite ordinary to me, at least they are taking it out of your deposit rather than charging you on top of what you have already paid.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Fresh Student Living

Fresh Student Living

Fresh provide student accommodation across the country in a number of locations.

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.