Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is the media generally portraying the media in a negative way these days because I personally from what I have seen don't really think of much of them, not just the British military but just all militaries in general. When you see shows such as V for Vendetta or Torchwood where the soldiers rounded up children and also seemed to burst into buildings with their guns shouting or even some animated shows I get the idea that the army of any country are just scum.

I don't mean to insult people who respect the military. I know there are some people in the military want to protect the public, fight evil and might be nice people but I think most people are in the military just to fight, get respect, have fun killing and "playing soldier". I know the military do in theory good things for the public such as fight terrorism and I even think worse of terrorists and this seems all seems good for us but I think do these soldiers really care what they're doing?

They'll follow orders from the government no matter what they are fighting for our protection then thats just an added bonus for them as they'll get some respect from the public too while getting to carry guns and have fun blowing things up which they wouldn't get to do if they were civillains. And I then think how easy would it be for these people to do something wrong such as the pictures of american soldiers chasing children in vietnam, they'll follow orders no matter what they are. Even if deep down they know its wrong they'll still say "yes sir colonel captain birdseye" and do it. Even in Word War 1 one of the reasons men joined up was to get out of their usual lives and go on a foreign adventure.

I've said what I think but I think most people think of these people as heroes when they can be villians just as easily. When I think of a soldier I can't help but think of the words "military dog" because they'll follow orders from whoever their masters happens to be at the time in parliament whether their morally right or wrong. It's not just what the military is doing in whatever point in time, I don't really have an opinion on what the military do today buts its also what the mentality is of the usual soldier. I can't help but think that most of them are just like pre programmed robots who will fire, blow up and do whatever their told whether its right or wrong.

ReputationRep:
    when i bought like 3 of those plimsoll thingies my dad was like those are for army pussyholes..

ReputationRep:
    Everyone I've known who has gone into the army (both as officers and as whatever the underlings are) has done it solely because they couldn't find better money for their qualifications elsewhere. As such I fail to see what is so special about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown?)
    Is the media generally portraying the media in a negative way these days because I personally from what I have seen don't really think of much of them, not just the British military but just all militaries in general. When you see shows such as V for Vendetta or Torchwood where the soldiers rounded up children and also seemed to burst into buildings with their guns shouting or even some animated shows I get the idea that the army of any country are just scum.

I don't mean to insult people who respect the military. I know there are some people in the military want to protect the public, fight evil and might be nice people but I think most people are in the military just to fight, get respect, have fun killing and "playing soldier". I know the military do in theory good things for the public such as fight terrorism and I even think worse of terrorists and this seems all seems good for us but I think do these soldiers really care what they're doing?

They'll follow orders from the government no matter what they are fighting for our protection then thats just an added bonus for them as they'll get some respect from the public too while getting to carry guns and have fun blowing things up which they wouldn't get to do if they were civillains. And I then think how easy would it be for these people to do something wrong such as the pictures of american soldiers chasing children in vietnam, they'll follow orders no matter what they are. Even if deep down they know its wrong they'll still say "yes sir colonel captain birdseye" and do it. Even in Word War 1 one of the reasons men joined up was to get out of their usual lives and go on a foreign adventure.

I've said what I think but I think most people think of these people as heroes when they can be villians just as easily. When I think of a soldier I can't help but think of the words "military dog" because they'll follow orders from whoever their masters happens to be at the time in parliament whether their morally right or wrong. It's not just what the military is doing in whatever point in time, I don't really have an opinion on what the military do today buts its also what the mentality is of the usual soldier. I can't help but think that most of them are just like pre programmed robots who will fire, blow up and do whatever their told whether its right or wrong.

I know many people hoping to join the armed forces, myself included, who don't wish to join the services just because they can 'play soldier' there is much more that attracts one to the armed forces.

I think that military forces are portrayed in movies such as V for Vendetta to create a Robin hood element to the movie (If you see what I mean), but the fact is IT'S A MOVIE.

In Vietnam American soldiers were made to go to war - National Service, as a result discipline was lacking especially as the Soldiers frequently used drugs etc.

Whats the problem with leaving a 'normal life' to have a military life, I'd personally much prefer the latter. You can't seriously believe that soldiers have such a mentality to just "kill kill kill"? They are still human beings, of course they will follow orders but not to the extent you seem to think they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cornford4)
    I know many people hoping to join the armed forces, myself included, who don't wish to join the services just because they can 'play soldier' there is much more that attracts one to the armed forces.

I think that military forces are portrayed in movies such as V for Vendetta to create a Robin hood element to the movie (If you see what I mean), but the fact is IT'S A MOVIE.

In Vietnam American soldiers were made to go to war - National Service, as a result discipline was lacking especially as the Soldiers frequently used drugs etc.

Whats the problem with leaving a 'normal life' to have a military life, I'd personally much prefer the latter. You can't seriously believe that soldiers have such a mentality to just "kill kill kill"? They are still human beings, of course they will follow orders but not to the extent you seem to think they do.
    If they are told too, are not told the facts of the matter specifically and know what they are doing is morally wrong but are ordered too and know they will probably get away with it unless the information is leaked to the public so they will still be thought of as "heroes" then yes, I do think they would still do it.

ReputationRep:
    If they are told too, are not told the facts of the matter specifically and know what they are doing is morally wrong but are ordered too and know they will probably get away with it unless the information is leaked to the public so they will still be thought of as "heroes" then yes, I do think they would still do it.
    What sort of actions do you think the British forces are doing? I hope you haven't based your opinions on films like V for Vendetta.

Maybe watch some programmes such as 'Ross Kemp in Afghanistan' (Was on Sky One) or 'Air force Afghanistan' (Was on Channel 5). You will see that the armed forces out there are actively trying to help the peoples of Afghanistan with medical aid and such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cornford4)
    What sort of actions do you think the British forces are doing? I hope you haven't based your opinions on films like V for Vendetta.

Maybe watch some programmes such as 'Ross Kemp in Afghanistan' (Was on Sky One) or 'Air force Afghanistan' (Was on Channel 5). You will see that the armed forces out there are actively trying to help the peoples of Afghanistan with medical aid and such.
    I know they do those good things the military came to my school for some presentation last year and showed us what they do. But I and maybe others think that some or most that enter the military have this "kill kill kill" mind like you might say. I'm not saying that British soldiers are going around killing children but call it intuition that the kind of people I think enter the military is true based on its purpose, structure and other things.

ReputationRep:
    I have a massive amount of respect for the military, they serve to protect us, and I doubt many of us would be able to do much to defend ourselves if we were ever attacked on British soil.

We all know there are some bad eggs in the army, from all the videos in Iraq, but a majority of soldiers are generally good hearted, and the stereotype of the military is a bit of a joke, were not anglo-saxon raiders pillaging and raping people as we go. We're fighting pushing terrorists our of Taliban.

Now I'm neither here nor there about the war, but I really don't like the lack of respect shown to soldiers that are fighting on behalf of our country. For whatever reason, they are putting their lives on the line so they deserve respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    Everyone I've known who has gone into the army (both as officers and as whatever the underlings are) has done it solely because they couldn't find better money for their qualifications elsewhere. As such I fail to see what is so special about them.
    How many soldiers do you know?
    In the 80's and before some soldiers joined from working class backgrounds because they might have left school with little or no qualifications or because it was either work there or work in mines and pits or factories. A lot of those people went on to become excellent soldiers who were the backbone of the army and enforced the reputation of the British army even more.

The truth is these days many people who join the armed forces do so not because of qualifications, but because of a desire to travel, meet people, challenge themselves, and so on.

ReputationRep:
    People that can't get any other job and are a bit dim.

ReputationRep:
    I never thought negatively of those in the armed or air forces until I actually met them. I don't know what the women who go into service are like, but the men I've met usually have a very unattractive attitude toward their job and other people... they usually fit the stereotype of being too stupid to do anything else, really.

I know it's not the rule. Just my experience.

ReputationRep:
    Being in the military is a way of life, rather than just a job - and one which many civillians will simply not understand, because they haven't experienced it, and like you, they base their ideas soley on the image of the military that is portrayed by films etc.

How many soldiers have you actually met? How many military employees other than soldiers have you met?

Going by what you've said in the quote above, not many at all.

These are people you're talking about, they follow orders because that is their job - just like anybody follows orders in any job, but I can assure you that they do indeed have morals, how ridiculous of you to suggest otherwise.

Yes, a lot of people do join the Army because they have no other options, but not everybody who joins is the same.

How have you built up such silly ideas about something which you clearly know nothing about :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    Being in the military is a way of life, rather than just a job - and one which many civillians will simply not understand, because they haven't experienced it, and like you, they base their ideas soley on the image of the military that is portrayed by films etc.

How many soldiers have you actually met? How many military employees other than soldiers have you met?

Going by what you've said in the quote above, not many at all.

These are people you're talking about, they follow orders because that is their job - just like anybody follows orders in any job, but I can assure you that they do indeed have morals, how ridiculous of you to suggest otherwise.

Yes, a lot of people do join the Army because they have no other options, but not everybody who joins is the same.

How have you built up such silly ideas about something which you clearly know nothing about :confused:
    I built it up using my intelligence and observation of the world.

ReputationRep:
    I built it up using my intelligence and observation of the world.
    Your observation of Hollywood films and Tv programmes, you mean...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    Your observation of Hollywood films and Tv programmes, you mean...
    I'm afraid we differ on opinions here. I can draw opinions from multiple things, mainly from the media maybe to see the big picture while you speak to some individual soldiers and I can come to conclusions which have a universal intuition about the natural world.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.