Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Im being made to do PAss plus! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I passed my test today which was great until i found out i wouldnt be insured by my parents, apparently they dont think im ready to drive on my own. This is a major inconvience because i wanted to drive to the cinema this holiday. My dad then made the suggestion that i could go on my own, but he'd follow me in the other car ¬_¬. I wasnt impressed. We finally came to the desicion i could drive if i do pass plus and i will get 1 year no claims discount with more than insurance. So what are your impressions on pass plus will it make me a better driver?

ReputationRep:
    If nothing else, it'll save you money

ReputationRep:
    Well, it'll give you more experience on driving in different conditions, but really the reason most people do it is to get lower insurance. Also I don't know where you live, but my council (Hampshire) pays for half of your Pass Plus if you do it, so look into that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you can get it cheaper if you're in London...

Well, actually, it ends today! Nevermind! (http://www.britannia-driving-school.co.uk/news/?p=97)

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on, it's 6 more hours. You'll have a motorway lesson, a lesson in the dark, and a couple of other conditions. This will make going out by yourself far less daunting, and it'll save you a lot of money on your insurance. Just do it, it's for your own good.

ReputationRep:
    pass plus is fun =] My instructor was just like "you have passed yourtest now, so just drive. Dont worry about 10 to 2 or push & pull and all that crap because you wont do it when you drive by yourself" when we were on motorways he just said to keep up with everyone else and i was like yeah but the speed limit is 70. He just told me to put my foot down and we were going at 95, it was great.

ReputationRep:
    when my examiner was filling out my certificate she gave me a form about pass plus and i pay £70 and the rest is covered by the local police and my instructor said after my test on the way home to give him a call if i want to do it. He said its none of the "at the next junction take a left" stuff its just a general drive in varying conditions, he said we head over to Glasgow, thats like 40 miles away...nice.......

ReputationRep:
    i found pass plus really really useful, basic motorway instruction and it also builds on your confidence....
    it also has a positive effect on the price of your insurance.... well worth it

ReputationRep:
    stop being a little baby - its good for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MewMachine)
    Well, it'll give you more experience on driving in different conditions, but really the reason most people do it is to get lower insurance. Also I don't know where you live, but my council (Hampshire) pays for half of your Pass Plus if you do it, so look into that.
    I love you! I did not know we got this. Is it available all over Hampshire?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyraell)
    I love you! I did not know we got this. Is it available all over Hampshire?
    Well, if you fit this criteria, yes.

ReputationRep:
    it saves you money and you can do it straight away. If you live in cumbria its free if you watch a half hour video about crashes at a fire station

ReputationRep:
    It will probably make you a bit more confidant if any thing. Tbh the only reason I did it after 6 months of driving was to save money, it cost me about £160 and my insurance gave me about £250 back
    So if its going to keep your rents happy you may aswell do it then enjoy driving on your own

ReputationRep:
    pass plus is oneof the best things you can do as a young driver

ReputationRep:
    pass plus is absolutely ridiculous

Pass Plus IMO is good - saved me some £££ - paid £750 fully comp @ 18 - sod paying £1k+ which is what I was being offered otherwise if I didn't do it. And I also got my confidence for motorway driving which is what I was most terrified about doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockyone2)
    I passed my test today which was great until i found out i wouldnt be insured by my parents, apparently they dont think im ready to drive on my own. This is a major inconvience because i wanted to drive to the cinema this holiday. My dad then made the suggestion that i could go on my own, but he'd follow me in the other car ¬_¬. I wasnt impressed. We finally came to the desicion i could drive if i do pass plus and i will get 1 year no claims discount with more than insurance. So what are your impressions on pass plus will it make me a better driver?
    Pass plus is a very good idea. You'll learn stuff you won't have covered in your lessons. The more experience you can get (especially with an approved instructor) the better.

Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see the need for it other than saving you money. Since passing my test I've driving in many varying conditions and I've been fine each time. The first time I had a go on a motorway it was a good 80 miles up the M5 and then another 30 or so on the M4 and I had to deal with pouring rain, heavy spray and standing water, along with racing artics with crazy drivers in my rusty old Land Rover :p: Night driving is also great fun, although driving in the wet can get a little sketchy on AT tyres.

I think you need to make your parents realise that you passed your test for a reason and that you are now capable of driving safely.

ReputationRep:
    Pass Plus is a good thing to do. Do it.

ReputationRep:
    If you've passed your test that proves that you are a responsible driver and can drive on your own! But yeah if you do pass plus it is a good thing to get more experience and save you some money on insurance and at least then youl get your independence!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.