The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

English students to glasgow uni

Hey, probably a stupid question but is it common for english people to go to scottish uni's or are most students there scottish?

Also are there any major differences between scottish unis and english unis apart from price?

I really like the look of glasgow, planning on going to the open day in september.
Reply 1
It's not really common but there are a few from down South in any uni. Don't think there's any difference but you'll be an amazing city.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Scottish unis and English unis are different academically.

In Scotland you typically do a 4 year degree. For example I'm doing an Arts degree, so it's 4 years long and in my first year, I picked other subjects to go along with my degree subject, as well as in second year.
TheOneCurlyFry
Hey, probably a stupid question but is it common for english people to go to scottish uni's or are most students there scottish?

Also are there any major differences between scottish unis and english unis apart from price?

I really like the look of glasgow, planning on going to the open day in september.

There will inevitably be a vast majority of Scots compared to English people, but there are still quite a lot from south of the border (including me). It's not uncommon and you won't be treated any differently.

Scottish degrees are usually 4 years as opposed to 3 in England, but you pay less (somewhere around £1700/year compared to £3000/year in England).

Glasvegas is an amazing place :biggrin:
Reply 4
In addition, the Scottish Government only charge you for three years, so the price is something like 5.5k rather than 10. Glasgow is a relatively affordable city too, even the plush West End will get you a flat share for £250 a month if you look around, certainly change out of £300. A friend of mine from England went to Glasgow, and estimated (even with the the extra year's rent/living expenses) that she was nearly £4k cheaper, and with an extra year of student life, than her other family members who did a three year course in the south of England. That's not bad, in my book.

England are still a bit behind the times when it comes to Glasgow. Edinburgh and St Andrews are seen as very acceptable places to be, but they've still got the 60s and 70s image of Glasgow (when most parents/teachers were thinking of university themselves) of the city being a hell hole. Crime is still high in certain pockets, but thankfully these are well away from the university (the complete other end of the city actually), and the rest of it is no worse than anywhere else in the UK- the West End is one of the safest and most affluent areas in Scotland, as it so happens.

Because of this, the English presence isn't as big as it is in Edinburgh or St Andrews, where Scots/English/Internationals are not far off being a three-way split (Edinburgh is 30% England, St Andrews 35). 70% of the university is Scottish, with just over 10% from England- most of the non-Scots UK students are Northern Irish. About one in six is from outside the UK though, and of the 4000 who stay in halls, nearly half are from outside Scotland. In other words, its got a more Scottish feel than its Edinburgh or St Andrews, but most of the people you interact with won't be locals.
Reply 5
I wouldn't say it's incredibly unusual. Obviously, the majority will be Scottish, but as a Londoner going into my 2nd year at Glasgow, I've met a fair number of people from down south. I haven't been treated differently at all, and I've encountered fewer old-fashioned stereotypes at home than I expected. I've only had one person squeal and let out a shout of "GLASGOW?! WON'T YOU GET STABBED?". Most people just shrug and say "Oh, I hear that's a quite nice uni".

PS. Glasgow Uni is lovely, study here!
Reply 6
i reckon half the students come from within glasgow, a quarter from scotland, and a quarter from everywhere else, which includes the english,so plenty of em around. And scots and glaswegian students are pretty damn friendly if i do say so myself
Reply 7
When I went into halls for my Fresher's back in 2002, there were plenty of English students there. No-one will particularly care about you being English!
Original post by TheOneCurlyFry

Thank you so much for asking this question!! I've been wondering for ages if I'm going to be hated for being english at a scottish university and this has helped SO much! :smile: Particularly as the applicant day gets closer and I'm going to be there completely on my own! Did you apply and if you did, do you have an offer?
Half of my family are glaswegian so I do have scottish roots but have grown up near Manchester and it's pretty uncommon for anyone from my school to apply so don't really have anyone to talk to about the university!!

Looking forward to the applicant day :smile:
Reply 9
Masses of English folk, in my experience :smile: In my English Language tutorial for example, it was a real struggle to do the work on the Scots dialect cos there were only 3 Scottish people in a group of 12, the rest largely being English ^^
I've been having similar worries! I love the look of Glasgow Uni, it completely appeals to me. However I have quite a posh english accent (no idea why!) and my Dad said that I could experience trouble for this :/ He's from Greenock. Deffo wouldn't be wearing Blue shirts in the wrong places if I went there :P
Reply 11
Original post by AlexusWelsh1993
I've been having similar worries! I love the look of Glasgow Uni, it completely appeals to me. However I have quite a posh english accent (no idea why!) and my Dad said that I could experience trouble for this :/ He's from Greenock. Deffo wouldn't be wearing Blue shirts in the wrong places if I went there :P

Just make sure you stay in Bearsden or Newton Mearns, your posh accent will fit in well. :wink:

Seriously, don't worry about it. You'll be treated the same as everyone else. I'm the opposite as i'm a Scot who lives South of the border (albeit after Uni)...I get plenty of stick and banter but most of it good natured.
Reply 12

A lot of people have posh accents in uni tbh, your dad's talking nonsense. University has less intolerance and more acceptance of everyone and everything than any other culture you'll ever find yourself in - come to Glasgow and enjoy :wink:

There are plenty of English people, and from all over England too. My boyfriend is from Yorkshire... Mmm accent... :love: ... and there were people from wayy further south in my labs. Nobody thought anything of it - it's uni, there are people from all over the world.
Original post by Aurora.
A lot of people have posh accents in uni tbh, your dad's talking nonsense. University has less intolerance and more acceptance of everyone and everything than any other culture you'll ever find yourself in - come to Glasgow and enjoy :wink:

There are plenty of English people, and from all over England too. My boyfriend is from Yorkshire... Mmm accent... :love: ... and there were people from wayy further south in my labs. Nobody thought anything of it - it's uni, there are people from all over the world.

He's not really talking 'nonsense'; he's seen people get beaten up for the same reasons! Although, I still like the look of it :smile:
Reply 14
According to a friend of mine, studying english lit, there's loads of english people in all of her seminars. And I am going to be one of them next year :smile: (fingers crossed)
Reply 15
He's not really talking 'nonsense'; he's seen people get beaten up for the same reasons! Although, I still like the look of it :smile:

Well maybe if you spend a lot of time hanging round Greenock making a big deal of being posh... I didn't mean it was completely unfounded, sorry, but I'd bet it was more attitude than accent, and anyway university is honestly nothing like that. There are people from all over the world, nobody gives a second thought to accents.
Reply 16

unfortunately, that's just Greenock :/ no offence meant but my friend got beaten up for being from East Kilbride there, and East Kilbride is not posh either :tongue:
You won't get any problems whatsoever at uni, just don't go live in the east end or some bits of the southside.

I've found half the Scottish students have a half English/half well-spoken Scottish accent anyway, there's a phenomenon called the 'Glasgow uni accent' where that happens :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending