Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My friend applied to HYMS but didn't get in. I agree with Alex there though, Hull just didn't appeal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    My friend applied to HYMS but didn't get in. I agree with Alex there though, Hull just didn't appeal.
    Ha, well, I can't gainsay your experiences.

However, it's seldom where you are that really matters. Just what you make of it. Hull would surprise a lot of people, I think :yes:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    It is pretty small... but there are only 70 of us in each year lol, we don't need anything bigger (70 in Hull, that is... the other 70-odd are in York).

And you would be surprised as to how much better Hull is than York . But you made your decision, and I am certain you made a good one. Southampton is a good medical school, I think :yes:.
    Oh right, that's why then I've heard a couple of people mention that York's a bit boring?

Thanks man, I feel incredibly lucky to have been accepted by Soton, they ticked all the boxes and I think we'll be a good fit :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ha, well, I can't gainsay your experiences.

However, it's seldom where you are that really matters. Just what you make of it. Hull would surprise a lot of people, I think :yes:.
    Well, it certainly has a bad reputation as a place, although who knows, I might be surprised one day when I spend some more time there :p: The poet Philip Larkin certainly pointed out that Hull is very flat and is good for cycling :p: And yes, I can see your point, a place is largely what you make of it, although I already had preconceptions before I visited :p:

York on the other hand is an amazing place - from the Minster to the old castle walls, the lake on the univ. grounds and the market, the castle on the hill and the Viking museum... the racing grounds, ahh, I can say so many good things about York

If it was York medical school, I would have applied :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    Oh right, that's why then I've heard a couple of people mention that York's a bit boring?

Thanks man, I feel incredibly lucky to have been accepted by Soton, they ticked all the boxes and I think we'll be a good fit :p:
    York is, indeed, a little dull . But it's horses for courses. Let us know how you get on in Southampton!

ReputationRep:
    Well, it certainly has a bad reputation as a place, although who knows, I might be surprised one day when I spend some more time there :p: The poet Philip Larkin certainly pointed out that Hull is very flat and is good for cycling :p: And yes, I can see your point, a place is largely what you make of it, although I already had preconceptions before I visited :p:

York on the other hand is an amazing place - from the Minster to the old castle walls, the lake on the univ. grounds and the market, the castle on the hill and the Viking museum... the racing grounds, ahh, I can say so many good things about York

If it was York medical school, I would have applied :yy:
    No offence, mate, but your opinions are as nothing seeing as you don't live there.

Indeed, statistically, Hull is in almost dire straits, and there are some places that are not attractive. Every city has those.

I would still rather be in Hull than York, and I've actually lived in York for a couple of weeks.

People's preconceptions close their eyes to the truth... it's always the way. But definitely keep your mind open. A useful tool for any medic, going a bit further afield.

ReputationRep:
    No offence, mate, but your opinions are as nothing seeing as you don't live there.

Indeed, statistically, Hull is in almost dire straits, and there are some places that are not attractive. Every city has those.

I would still rather be in Hull than York, and I've actually lived in York for a couple of weeks.

People's preconceptions close their eyes to the truth... it's always the way. But definitely keep your mind open. A useful tool for any medic, going a bit further afield.
    Fair enough, points taken :p: I have lived in York for a few years, though I've never lived in Hull :p: (very nearly did though )

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, points taken :p: I have lived in York for a few years, though I've never lived in Hull :p: (very nearly did though )
    Good man .

And I see! York's pretty, I can definitely understand why Hull did not appeal to you aesthetically . But once must learn to look beyond the face and see to the underlying strengths and weaknesses!

/Yoda

But, in other news: where are you at in the medical Circle of Life?

ReputationRep:
    Good man .

And I see! York's pretty, I can definitely understand why Hull did not appeal to you aesthetically . But once must learn to look beyond the face and see to the underlying strengths and weaknesses!

/Yoda

But, in other news: where are you at in the medical Circle of Life?
    Hehe. I'm a wee hatchling

ReputationRep:
    Ha, where do you start? And when?

ReputationRep:
    So, who's coming to HYMS (Hull York Medical School)this year? :teeth:

I know of only ONE other medic on TSR who's currently at HYMS... and it seems she's not very active :sad:.

Anybody? :sad:

Edited for accuracy :p:.
    :itsme:

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladipidoo)
    :itsme:

:awesome:
    You're at Hull or York?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    You're at Hull or York?
    Neither, lol. I was j/k :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Neither, lol. I was j/k :getmecoat:
    Why are you even up? Have you been on all night?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    Why are you even up? Have you been on all night?
    I'm going to pull an allnighter in the hopes of adjusting my sleeping pattern. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to pull an allnighter in the hopes of adjusting my sleeping pattern. :yes:
    Me too, although its like the 10th day that ive done this and its really not working!!!

I've just had some creatine and started to lift weights :woo: ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0v0s)
    Me too, although its like the 10th day that ive done this and its really not working!!!

I've just had some creatine and started to lift weights :woo: ...
    I hate this :woo:

ReputationRep:
    lol ladi

and HYMS????? PBL all over :emo:

PBL scares me :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I gonna apply.:proud:

Though I rather be at York than Hull.:ninja:

Although its all good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HiBear)
    lol ladi

and HYMS????? PBL all over :emo:

PBL scares me :cry:
    lololol I'm not going to HYMS! I was only joshing around :awesome: Hell, I'm not even going to do medicine for that matter :rofl: :rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.