Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How do u get a job at uni if the uni's city is far from where u currently live? do u just wait till u start term and then go round giving out cv's? or do u visit the city before hand and give out cv's then? any ideas??

ReputationRep:
    good question :p: I want to know this aswell. I presumed you just got one when you were there, but I could be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I hope to get a job near my prospective university. I'm going to start handing in my c.v. in about two weeks. This is to give time for my applications to be considered, so that by time I arrive I will have hopefully found a job. However, I'm quite sure that I will meet my university offer, I probably wouldn't do this if I was really unsure about getting the grades I need, but I suppose it can't hurt to still try - if you don't meet your offer, but get a job there you can always turn it down. All the best with whatever you decide.

ReputationRep:
    You could try waiting a few weeks before you move to the area and apply for local jobs online like via a jobcentre website or a company website, or just wait til you move there and hand out cv's would be fine tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lana-90)
    How do u get a job at uni if the uni's city is far from where u currently live? do u just wait till u start term and then go round giving out cv's? or do u visit the city before hand and give out cv's then? any ideas??

Assuming that you're starting in September, I would post your CV along with a covering letter, describing your situation and the usual information, now. The sooner the better- just think of all the other students wanting jobs.
    Check your SU for jobs aswell.

ReputationRep:
    - You could go a few weeks earlier, to go around the shops and pubs and see if they need staff.
    This is a better than joining a thousand students who would be looking for work when uni starts. You could also locate where your student job centre is so you know where it is when you start.

- Job centre

- Maybe join with a recruitment agency as well while you're there. Instead, the ageny finds you jobs and if you like them you can take them. It's more temporary sorts of jobs though. E.g. Brooke St, Reed, Office Angels.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You could either go there and hand out CVs, or post one to place where you would like to work, with a letter explaining what you are looking for. It woudl be a good idea to ring around to see who has vacancies as well.

Have a look for jobs online, as that would probably be the easiest way of applying.

ReputationRep:
    my term starts on the 7th october, but Im moving up on thursday and living with a 2nd year house share with some guys i vaguely know. handed my cvs out on saturday and ive already been offered 3 jobs and one trial shift. can be done.//bets of luck

ReputationRep:
    I had a part time job whilst at uni at the student union cafe. Because it was part of the university, it meant I only had to work during term time.

On the first day of freshers week I went in with my CV and was offered the job there and then. It was cleaning the deep fat fryers (I am five foot tall and very petite!) It wasnt great but was nine hours a week and I worked my way up to waitress! Because it was on campus as well, it meant I only had to work weekdays and the occasional Saturday. So I could go home when I wanted. My bro who is at uni now works at the uni library and he only has to work during term time also.

I would say go to the main campus with several copies of your CV and ask for part time work in the bars, library, food halls etc. Do it early on the Monday morning of the beginning of term, or try to call each place the week before. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.