Turn on thread page Beta

old M2 collision inequality question watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The Question goes:

A small smooth sphere, mass 3kg moving on smooth horizontal plane speed 8ms-1 collides directly with sphere mass 12kg, which is at rest. Given the spheres move in opposite directions after collision, obtain the inequality satisfied by e

I understand how to use the expression of the coefficient of restitution and how to use the conservation of momentum. I do not know enough about working with inequalities.

Can somebody help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munkeh)
    The Question goes:

A small smooth sphere, mass 3kg moving on smooth horizontal plane speed 8ms-1 collides directly with sphere mass 12kg, which is at rest. Given the spheres move in opposite directions after collision, obtain the inequality satisfied by e

I understand how to use the expression of the coefficient of restitution and how to use the conservation of momentum. I do not know enough about working with inequalities.

Can somebody help?
    What speeds did you get?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    after, the speeds of both particles are unobtainable, since we don't know e and we dont know either of the velocities after collision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munkeh)
    after, the speeds of both particles are unobtainable, since we don't know e and we dont know either of the velocities after collision
    You work them out in terms of e.
    Then say that one is bigger than the other and put this in terms of an inequality. You can then find an inequality in terms of e only, In this case it has something to do with 2/3.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    how do you manipulate two inequalities in terms of e into one, whilst eliminating the two other unknowns, call them v1 and v2

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.