Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, basically, the story is, I started exercising about 2 weeks ago and have been keeping a regular exercise regime every day of between 30 mins to an hour (mostly cardio, but also including a few sit ups et), I've also kept a watch on what I eat with cutting portions sizes, eating more fruit n veg and stuff, and yet according to the scales I've put on about 3 lb instead of losing any...

Is this normal? Is it muscle building or something? Any advice on what to do next? It's kind of difficult to keep motivation goin if results don't show much / go in the opposite direction of the way I want

ReputationRep:
    It could be anything. I've taken 3lb sh**s before.

Weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you've been to the toilet and before you've had anything to eat/drink.

This is why I don't measure results on the scales.

ReputationRep:
    muscle weighs more than fat so possibly..could also be water as well. 2 weeks is a very short time so i wouldn't worry about what it is. Whys it matter if you weigh less? if your running you'll be improving your fitness and health and surely that should be your aim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomTre)
    Is it muscle building or something?
    (Original post by DomTre)
    30 mins to an hour (mostly cardio, but also including a few sit ups et)
    Obviously not.

ReputationRep:
    You're either eating more than you say you are or excercising less than you say you are. Or a combination of both.

ReputationRep:
    He hasn't even stated how/when he's measuring his weight.

Could be at different times of the day.
    Could be on different scales.
    Could be impacted colon.

ReputationRep:
    Get colonic irrigation, that helps to shed a few pounds :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    He hasn't even stated how/when he's measuring his weight.

Could be at different times of the day.
    Could be on different scales.
    my bets on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    muscle weighs more than fat so possibly..could also be water as well. 2 weeks is a very short time so i wouldn't worry about what it is. Whys it matter if you weigh less? if your running you'll be improving your fitness and health and surely that should be your aim?
    It doesn't 'weigh' more than fat, it's more dense. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. The distinction needs to be made.

To the OP- it's unlikely to be muscle, judging from the routine, but it could be extra water or anything- 3lb is not a massive fluctuation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatboyGinger)
    It doesn't 'weigh' more than fat, it's more dense. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. The distinction needs to be made.

To the OP- it's unlikely to be muscle, judging from the routine, but it could be extra water or anything- 3lb is not a massive fluctuation.
    A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle? Well obviously! But for the same size, muscle is heavier. So as i was saying it doesn't matter if he's putting on weight if he is healthier.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.