Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ogloom)
    I used to have such a greasy face 6 months ago. I've been taking homeopathic colloidal silver for the past 5 months. My face has cleared up so much its unbelievable. People say they can't even recognise me! Check my profile picture for proof
    =]
    You do realise, that if you keep taking "medication" with silver in it, you're going to turn blue?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyria

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm not an expert but shouldn't you be using more then just baby wipes to get make up off?
    Baby wipes would only be taking the make up off, not really cleansing your skin, maybe you should try that and see if it makes a difference?

ReputationRep:
    I have pretty oily skin and find that using a gentle oil based cleanser like olive oil or Lush Ultrabland (about £5) is most effective and balances my skin. Also, maybe using a facial scrub once a day is a bit too abrasive and is therefore causing your skin to overcompensate with oil; perhaps you could try cutting down to every other day and seeing if it makes a difference. I find blotting sheets really useful during the day too.

ReputationRep:
    scrubbing will just aggrevate your skin causing spots and oiliness. use a gentle cleanser, just any cheap one - maybe the superdrug one people have mentioned, then tone and moisturise. do this every morning and night. then use your scrub 2 times a week, 3 at the most. it might be better to use the scrub at night so your skin can calm down overnight.

this made a huge change to my skin (i had acne, not just spots), but eventually i went on medication and that sorted it completely, if nothing else works, maybe you should consider visiting the docs?

ReputationRep:
    i have this problem too.

the trick is not to dry out your face too much, although it sounds like the ideal thing to do. reason being is that it strips the essential oils in your skin, and so your skin wants to generate more oil to replace it.

you should cleanse twice a day. once in the morning, and when you get home in the evening, no more, no less. try buying a facial wash without too much soap content because soap tends to irritate and dry the skin. simple has a really nice one that has vitamin b in it. if you're concerned about cost, buy liquid makeup remover because it lasts much longer than baby wipes do and is more effective. don't use any toner either because this dries out your skin even further. if you want to scrub, exfoliate maybe once or twice a week at most. for the breakouts, maybe buy a pharmaceutical product such as panoxyl or duac. drink plenty of water, eat lots of fruit and veg, and make sure you get an ample amount of sleep whenever you can.

best of luck to you. i know how frustrating this is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coy Girl)
    I have pretty oily skin and find that using a gentle oil based cleanser like olive oil or Lush Ultrabland (about £5) is most effective and balances my skin. Also, maybe using a facial scrub once a day is a bit too abrasive and is therefore causing your skin to overcompensate with oil; perhaps you could try cutting down to every other day and seeing if it makes a difference. I find blotting sheets really useful during the day too.
    I use the ultra bland but just to remove eye make up, il try it all over my face adn see what happens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    I use the ultra bland but just to remove eye make up, il try it all over my face adn see what happens
    It feels a bit odd to begin with, but you get used to it. I find it works best if you put a little on your dry face and wash it off with a warm flannel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Its been mentioned before but tea tree oil is fab!. I use superdrugs own Tea Tree cleanser and toner, its in a green bottle, twice a day and its brilliant. I used to get quite spotty ( yes even at my age) but thanks to this I am now spot free. Its around 3 quid a bottle but it lasts for quite a while. I can highly recommend it.
    Win. Brummies know what's up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by equinox3o0o)
    i srsly hope that how you looked BEFORE the homepathic stuff :eek3:
    my profile picture shows my face after taking homeopathic medicine for 3 months. As you can clearly see, infinitely diluted solutions of nothing can cure any ailment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    my profile picture shows my face after taking homeopathic medicine for 3 months. As you can clearly see, infinitely diluted solutions of nothing can cure any ailment.
    Yeah youre trolling so bugger off yes? I don't believe homoeopathic medicine cures anything because, its face it, its all ********.

ReputationRep:
    Wash your face twice a day with a wash spefically designed for oily skin, and then use a cleanser/toner afterwards with cotton wool to take off anything that's left over.

You can also buy moisturisers designed for oily skin, I reccomend Biore's shine control moisturiser. Use that during the day under your make-up, but get a more heavy duty one to use before you go to bed, as oil-free ones are not as moisturising as "normal" ones. If you're skin isn't getting enough moisture then it will over-compensate with the oil, making the problem even worse.

No7 make a shine control make-up base which is very good, use it on top of your moisturiser during the day.
    Here it is; http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...3362&langId=-1 Read the reviews for yoursef!

I suggest that instead of using tinted moisturiser, you use one designed for oily skin with a base/primer like the no7 one on top, and then use a matte powder to finish, which will give you the hint of colour that your tinted moisturiser does.

Drinking lots of water always helps too!
    Hope that's helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    Wash your face twice a day with a wash spefically designed for oily skin, and then use a cleanser/toner afterwards with cotton wool to take off anything that's left over.

You can also buy moisturisers designed for oily skin, I reccomend Biore's shine control moisturiser. Use that during the day under your make-up, but get a more heavy duty one to use before you go to bed, as oil-free ones are not as moisturising as "normal" ones. If you're skin isn't getting enough moisture then it will over-compensate with the oil, making the problem even worse.

No7 make a shine control make-up base which is very good, use it on top of your moisturiser during the day.
    Here it is; http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...3362&langId=-1 Read the reviews for yoursef!

I suggest that instead of using tinted moisturiser, you use one designed for oily skin with a base/primer like the no7 one on top, and then use a matte powder to finish, which will give you the hint of colour that your tinted moisturiser does.

Drinking lots of water always helps too!
    Hope that's helpful
    Yes it is thank you

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.