Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't get insured on anything. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I keep trying to get quotes for cars but I get either "could not provide a quote" or a quote for over 3k, regardless of whether I put in a BMW series or a 1 litre Corsa.

17 - male
    18 in a month but need to be able to drive over the summer really
    Pass Plus

Any ideas why?

ReputationRep:
    use another site?

ReputationRep:
    Could be the postcode in which you live, might be a high risk area for car crime. Also play around with the options regarding where the car will be stored, for some reason my insurance was cheaper when i specified parked on the road as opposed to my drive way :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Could be the postcode in which you live, might be a high risk area for car crime. Also play around with the options regarding where the car will be stored, for some reason my insurance was cheaper when i specified parked on the road as opposed to my drive way :/
    I just put that it was in a garage and the cheapest quote only fell by £100.

ReputationRep:
    3k is sounding very excessive, try using a different price comparison website or going to the individual insurers websites.

ReputationRep:
    Try something less desirable than a corsa or a bmw (yes corsas are desirable, the amount of posts on here with OMG GET A CORSA THEYRE CHEAP!!!)

Other factors: mileage, usage, try adding more excess (only needed if you claim on your own policy), fully comp, adding parents to your policy (especially older women, even if they're not going to drive it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    3k is sounding very excessive, try using a different price comparison website or going to the individual insurers websites.
    Just tried another comparison site and it was 4k on a 1.2l Fiat Punto.

ReputationRep:
    Dont use comparison web sites, they are useless for young drivers. When i was looking for my first car they all wanted about £2k. Try companies like direct line and churchil, they beat all the other companies by miles for their prices for me. For example 2 years ago i paid £1250 with direct line, full comp, 2002 1.0 corsa, in a low insurance area.

ReputationRep:
    gutted! try swiftcover - they were the best for me but after months of searching the cheapest was still 2k on a 1.2 x-reg punto. ur postcode affects it a lot. if i lived at my gfs, a 5min drive away i cud get it for 800!

ReputationRep:
    Any idea why direct line says

Unable to quote
    From the information that you have provided to us, we are unable to provide you with a quotation at this time.

Also, could I get away with putting my address as an empty house owned by my Dad?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    where do you live, prison?

ReputationRep:
    Try Churchill and Virgin. What is your estimated mileage that you're putting down? And what are the first 3 bits of your post code? When I was still learning to drive (18), I paid Endsleigh £1,332 to insure my car (a 1.4L P-Reg Renault Megane). After passing my test, the next year I only paid £580 (with 1 year NCB).

ReputationRep:
    If you go to Admiral, they do a 10 month car insurance to help young people get their no claims bonus up quicker..

If you do this with them, get a parent added on as a named driver and I guarentee it will come down a lot!!

Also, dont put 'student' as your occupation.. put 'Quantity Surveyor', they are the safest drivers apparently and the insurance company will never know.

Consider whether you need fully comp, or could go with third party fire and theft..

I think you could get it around the £700 mark on a 1.1 saxo or something.. I paid £415 last year, third party fire and theft with Norwich Union on my 1.1 Saxo with 1 years no claims..!

ReputationRep:
    Try Tesco.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stew1988)
    If you go to Admiral, they do a 10 month car insurance to help young people get their no claims bonus up quicker..

If you do this with them, get a parent added on as a named driver and I guarentee it will come down a lot!!
    However, should an accident happen - would this affect my parents NCB on their own policy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shrep)
    Any idea why direct line says

Unable to quote
    From the information that you have provided to us, we are unable to provide you with a quotation at this time.

Also, could I get away with putting my address as an empty house owned by my Dad?
    It means for whatever reason some thing is too high risk for them to bother insuring. Normally it comes up with that if you try a too high insurance group car but it could be bad area.

And no dont lie about any thing on your insurance as has been suggested on here. The chances are you will get found out and your insurance cancelled, then its a struggle to find any one else who will insure you. And for the love of god dont put your a quantity surveyor..... would be pretty easy to guess he wouldnt be considering you need a three year degree to be become a grad QS and then a further 2 years APC before you are actually qualified as one..... and he is 17

ReputationRep:
    I've heard the discounts for Pass Plus are absolutely diabolical nowadays, you're better off going for the IAM test instead. Could be a load of crap but that's what I was advised to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    However, should an accident happen - would this affect my parents NCB on their own policy?
    No, because they are only named drivers..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ54321)
    It means for whatever reason some thing is too high risk for them to bother insuring. Normally it comes up with that if you try a too high insurance group car but it could be bad area.

And no dont lie about any thing on your insurance as has been suggested on here. The chances are you will get found out and your insurance cancelled, then its a struggle to find any one else who will insure you. And for the love of god dont put your a quantity surveyor..... would be pretty easy to guess he wouldnt be considering you need a three year degree to be become a grad QS and then a further 2 years APC before you are actually qualified as one..... and he is 17
    Im a QS, have been for the past 2 years and im 21
    Im on a scholarship, so it is possible to be 17 and a QS, there isnt an option on the form you fill in for you to say you are a 'Trainee' or 'Assistant' QS..

Plus how are they going to find out that you arent a QS, all you would say is you have changed jobs since having the accident and applying for the insurance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.