Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't get insured on anything. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    I've heard the discounts for Pass Plus are absolutely diabolical nowadays, you're better off going for the IAM test instead. Could be a load of crap but that's what I was advised to do.
    Yup A friend of mine spent 150 quid doing his pass plus. It got him a 100 pound saving. I spent 35 doing an IAM course/test and I saved nearly 500 quid. Plus it does make you a much better driver.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got any of your parents no claims on it like I do. They drive my car around a bit to hence why my price is £700 for the first year on a 2003 VW 1.2 polo.

Tesco is really good you get clubcard points and a no claims bonus racking up.

And go to individual sites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stew1988)
    Plus how are they going to find out that you arent a QS, all you would say is you have changed jobs since having the accident and applying for the insurance.
    The problem with lying to insurance companies, or bending the truth, is that you won't find out that they refuse to cover you until it is too late and you have a large pay-out to face and a possible prosecution for not being insured. The saved premium won't seem such a good idea at this point.

Most insurers insist you tell them when anything material changes (indeed this is enshrined in insurance law), so to claim that you have changed occupation after the fact demonstrates that you have not met the requirement for full disclosure and is likelty to flag you up for a full investigation, potentially leading to very bad things indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Try Churchill and Virgin. What is your estimated mileage that you're putting down? And what are the first 3 bits of your post code? When I was still learning to drive (18), I paid Endsleigh £1,332 to insure my car (a 1.4L P-Reg Renault Megane). After passing my test, the next year I only paid £580 (with 1 year NCB).
    Could my postcode really be making that much difference, It's probably a high crime area but it's not too bad.

BL3 though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shrep)
    Could my postcode really be making that much difference, It's probably a high crime area but it's not too bad.

BL3 though.
    http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com...tcode_risk.htm

According to this, BL3 is F. On a scale of A (low risk) to F (high risk).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com...tcode_risk.htm

According to this, BL3 is F. On a scale of A (low risk) to F (high risk).
    My parents only pay a few hundred though so surely the added premium should only be a few hundred too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.